Unreachable Love

Chapter XIX

I stuck my tongue out at Oliver as he tried to push cotton candy into my mouth. I giggled and rustled around, trying to turn away from the sugar overload we were having.

“This isn’t good for you, ya know.” I muttered pushing his hand away and giggling some more.

“But it will make you really hyper, and then you could be insane with me.” He suggested.

I laughed. “Okay.” I said opening my mouth real wide to have him put a huge ball of cotton candy in. I felt the fluffy pink start melting on my tongue. It tasted really good.

I was having a lot of fun tonight, much to my surprise. It felt good to have a friend that was always there. I’d never really had friends so I spent a lot of time by myself. It felt good to share stuff with people instead of keeping to yourself.

I remember I used to have this stuffed giraffe that I would tell all my secrets to. I’d tell Muffy--the giraffe’s name—about me sneaking into the cookie jar last night before going to bed. I’d tell him about what I did that day. Like when I ran away from home with all my stuffed animals in a backpack and nothing else. Or when I cut off my hair because Ciara told me I wasn’t pretty. That’s what I felt like now. Like Oliver was my stuffed Giraffe and I was telling all my secrets to him. We just sat on that bench for awhile, just talking.

Oliver had won me a big stuffed purple bear. It sat in between us as we ate.

Oliver got up and asked, “You want a balloon?”

I smiled at the thought of bringing a balloon home and told him, “Yes, of course.”

He started to turn around but turned back and asked, “What color?”

“Purple,”I said, “so It matches the bear.”

He smiled and left.

I suddenly remembered what happened to Muffy. I’d had him forever, but then one day he was gone like he’d just kind of left, not wanting to be with me anymore

---<3---

When at home, I set my purple bear on my desk chair and I tied my balloon onto my bed post.

Tomorrow was my last day in Terrfield. I want to make the most of it, I thought before falling off to sleep.

---<3---

I walked through the park with my balloon in hand. I had a plan with what I wanted to do with it. I walked through the screaming children and the rushing parents. I walked through the trees that swayed in the breeze. I walked over to the bench I loved, to the bench me and Oliver sat for hours talking last night.

I sat down on that bench and looked at the sky. It was a bright blue and there were few clouds scattered around it. I took out the sharpie I’d placed in my pocket and started writing on the balloon a message to the heavens.

“Here is the heart
That I shall let go.
It truly belongs,
To one named Oliver.
I love you Oliver Blu.
Love, Belinda.”


I was sure I wouldn’t see this balloon or Oliver ever again so I wasn’t worried about anyone finding it. I looked up at the sky once more, placed the sharpie back in my pocket, and let the purple balloon go. And I did what I do best. I ran away.