Milky's Way

: Milky :

“Well first off, my real name isn’t Milky. Obviously, I mean what sort of parent would call their child that?” I laughed nervously; this is going to fail, drastically. “But I like it. It reminds me of the Milky Way and all the stars, they’re so beautiful. I don’t really know where to start to be honest . . .”

I look around hoping for a hint of some kind, or for Gee to realize it’s a mistake and turn the attention onto someone else. But no.

“Family.” He suggested. “That’s always a good start. Tell us about your family.”

“Okay. Well there’s my mum and her partner, I have a brother and a sister, and then my dad.” The same strike of pain hit me when I uttered that last word.

“I don’t know about anyone else,” Guardian asked looking around at the group, “but I’d like to hear a bit more about Milky’s family. Wouldn’t you agree?” Some of the group nodded and several ’yes’s were heard here and there, the joys of group therapy.

“Go on.” Faces stared at me, waiting.

“Well, there’s nothing really to say about them. They’re just . . . family.”

“Now I know that’s not true, especially with you. Families have secrets and stories, and yours is no exception. I know from our own talks that one of the things that triggered your problems was what you faced at home and with your family.”

I could feel myself growing more uncomfortable, I really hated him sometimes.

“And,” he continues, not seeming to notice my discomfort, “I believe it could be helpful with your recovery if you opened up about your family issues to others, not just me and your notebook. Your brother and sister, tell us about them.”

Okay. Deep breathe, you can do this, they’re not going to judge you, or laugh at you. Thoughts raced around my mind as I tried to keep calm, why did I have to do this? Public speaking has never been a strong point, it’s like being at school again; that same dread filled my stomach and my hands began to shake. I closed my eye, deep breath.

“As I said before. I have one brother, and one sister . . .