Milky's Way

: Sister, Sister :

“Different. We didn’t get on when we were young, we argued all the time, even fought sometimes. Nothing too serious, she always won anyway, being older and bigger than me. It only got too far once, on holiday. She got jealous of me and my cousin playing in the pool. We were playing this game where we would see how long each of use could hold our breathe under water, taking it in turns. I don’t know what made her do it, but she came over anyways;

She said ‘Let’s see how much you like going under really’ and stated pushing me under the water, over and over, holding me under the water, almost drowning me. But I got out, I don’t know how, but I did.”

Around the room blank faces stared back at me, I guess no one knew what to say. That’s new.

“It wasn’t like that all the time. That was the first time I’d been in any real danger with her . . .”

I paused. I didn’t want them to look like people, especially my sister, because they weren’t.

“As we grew up we got on a lot more. They both left and I found it hard being the only one left with my mum. Pete got kicked out one year after he got arrested, I don’t remember what for, but my mum had enough so she kicked him out, and Clara walked out one day and didn’t come back. Her and my mum had been agreeing on and off for a while and I think it just got too much, she became pregnant a few months later and that brought them together, but not for long. I doubt they’ll see each other again. They tried to get along, but it always ended in arguments. Always. Clara lived with friends for a while, but now she’s settled in her own place with her two kids.

Pete came over every now and then but it was very rare we actually saw him. It was after my mum left that we all became a bit closer and started seeing each other more. Pete and Clara don’t get on too well these days, but they’re there if I need them. And even though we all grew up with all sorts of crap in our lives, we’re okay now, I think.

Like I said, they weren’t part of my problems, they never have been. Pete’s got his life now with his girlfriend, Clara’s got her kids and I’ve got . . . well I’ve got this.”

I finished there, it’s getting late now, surely the two hours are done. He wouldn’t make me go on would he? On about my mum . . or dad. I don’t think I could bear it all in one day.

Almost as if he heard my thoughts Gee stood up.

“Milky, thank you very much, and well done, I’m very proud of you. I won’t make you go on. We shall all meet again tomorrow. Same time.”

He made his way out of the room & as he walked by he gave me a gentle squeeze on my shoulder.

The group started to make their way out of the room. I followed; deciding now was perfect time for another cigarette. I made my way towards my room walking on my own, wanting to collect my thoughts.

“Milky” Frazor’s voice echoed down the hall. I waited while he caught up with me.

“What do you want now?” I said playfully sticking my tongue out at him.

He laughed, “I just wanted to say well done. For today & everything”, and then he hugged me. Throughout all the time I’ve known him he’s never shown any affection, no hugs, no nothing. I started to laugh.

“What’s funny?” he asked looking confused.

“You are human after all then Fra?”

“Of course. Unlike you. Well, I’m off, I’ll see you later M” With a playful punch to my arm he left, and I watched him walked to his room, only three doors down, when he got to his door he turned and waved.