The Guest

chapter 22

[Frank's pov]

We stayed there for a while, lost in a comfortable silence until Rachel began to fidget in her chair.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Uh yeah, I just need to...You know, powder my nose." She replied blushing slightly.

"I see," I smiled.

"Why don't you go back to Brandon's room, I'll only be a few minutes."

"Okay." I said standing up, watching her for a moment before walking down the corridor.

Brandon's room was too quiet, I couldn't understand how Rachel could spend so much time here, watching one of the people that I love laying unconscious with the constant sound of the machinery monitoring them beeping would drive me crazy.

I walked over to the chair beside his bed and sat down, It felt wrong being in here alone, I didn't know Brandon, I didn't belong here.

I grabbed one of the magazines that Rachel had brought in to read out loud and began flicking through it, as I did the beeping sound seemed to change.

I looked up and could swear that I saw Brandon's hand move, I froze for an instant unsure of what to do. I considered going to find a nurse, but then I thought about how I'd feel if I woke up alone in a strange place.

I stood up and moved to the side of the bed, as I looked down I saw his eyelids flutter momentarily before fully opening, he looked at me briefly before glancing around at his surroundings.

"Who are you? Where am I?" He asked, confusion flooding his eyes.

"I um, I'm a friend of Brian and Rachel's. You're um...I should go and get a nurse." I said before quickly making my way out of the room.

Almost immediately I ran in to a nurse who was doing her rounds, she looked at my expression and a look of worry appeared on her face.

"Is everything okay sir?" She asked placing a hand on my arm.

"He...He's awake." I spluttered.

"Who is?"

"Brandon Schecter."

"Are you sure?" She asked.

"Yes, he spoke to me." I replied wondering where Rachel was.

"Okay, I'll just get the doctor and we'll go and check on him." She said rushing off.

Moments later she reappeared with a doctor at her side, they asked me to wait outside for a moment as they examined Brandon.

I leant against the wall and looked down at the floor, I felt as if I was in the middle of some daytime soap opera.

"Frank what are you doing out here?" I heard Rachel say causing me to look up.

"Where have you been? What took you so long?" I asked as I watched her walk towards me.

"Oh my god! What's happened?" She asked, tears welling in her eyes. "Has something happened to Brandon, is he okay?"

"He's fine," I replied stroking her face.

"Then what is it?" She asked.

"He's awake."