Status: COMPLETE.

The Walls Caved In

don't be silly

"I'm confused," I said. Eric laughed lightly, the air escaping his mouth and brushing my cheeks. I felt stupid, and embarrassed suddenly, saying this. My face flushed. I shouldn't feel embarrassed or stupid, and Eric shouldn't be asking the question that is passing through his lips.

"What do you need explained?" He asked.

What did he mean, what did I need explained? He should know what- We were sitting and relaxing in the grass, and then I checked my watch- I had to go. Dinner would be ready soon, and I was expected to be there. We were getting to our feet and dusting off our clothes, when he gripped my shoulders and kissed me full on the mouth. Now, please tell me, how he does not realize what I need explained.

I stared at him for a moment, my lips parted and what I knew to be a dumbfounded expression on my face. He repeated the question, letting a smile spread out on his lips. He wanted to explain, he truly did. He wanted me to understand.

"This," I said. I brought my hand up, motioning to the little space between our bodies, and then up and down, motioning toward that face of his that was so daringly close to mine. "Why did you do that, why did you kiss me?"

"I like you, silly. As in, I wanna hug ya and kiss ya and take you out."

My eyes lifted to his face, where his faint smile had turned into a full-on grin.

"Why did you kiss me back?"

My answer didn't come as quickly as his. I wasn't prepared for it, though I probably should have seen it coming. Any normal person would have, right? Then again, would a normal person still be resisting the urge to push their fingers to their lips to try to cease the tingling sensation that remained there? So, I thought it over. Slowly, I pieced words and thoughts and the little memories I had together, trying to form the best possible explanation. Something that fit, you know. Something that fit Eric and I, and his upbeat antics and ever present smile, and how these things affected me.

"Because I'm silly," I looked down towards my hands, where the were knotting together as I spoke, "and I might like you, too."

"What happened, Joyce? I thought you said you would be here at two."

I slid into my spot at the kitchen table, brushing my hands on the legs of my jeans before reaching for the pasta. "I know, I was on my way. There was just an unexpected delay, is all."

"Oh, alright." I smiled breathlessly at my mother, and she returned it, a little uncertain. Then, she turned her attention, "Allison, did you talk with your soccer coach like I asked you to?"

I chucked under my breath, beginning to pick at my food.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please, comment :)

Whenever I listen to Stereo Skyline, I think of Eric Jackson. Don't know why.