Status: COMPLETE.

The Walls Caved In

progress or retrogression

The drive back to my side of town was a quiet one. Few words were said between Eric and I. He was as angry as I'd ever seen him (though he thought he was covering it up well) and I was doing my best to look like I knew nothing about the confrontation that had happened only a few minutes ago.

"So, um, did you enjoy yourself?" Eric said finally, signaling for a left turn. I bit my lip, not knowing exactly how to say anything. I let out a noise that could have been taken as a yes or a no grunt, and Eric nodded, his face turning into stone again.

We didn't talk again until the car slowed in front of my house. I unbuckled my seat belt, ready to get up and leave. His hand fell on my leg, and I turned toward him.

"What's wrong, sunshine?" Watching his face, I saw the calm charade fall from his features. He face wasn't etched with anger, it was more of wonder.

"I heard what they said. I heard what your friends had to say about me." I spoke quickly, my voice breaking in the middle of my sentence. "I don't know what to say to you, really, but I do know that you should have done something other than let them bash on me." His expression didn't change. It was like my words had frozen him, and I knew this because I waited another minute before gathering my things and opening the car door and heading for my own.

I recalled the look on his face as he asked me that one question. He had thrown his feelings aside for mine.

I would always remember that. For the weeks to come, I would remember how unselfish he was in that moment. I would also remember how confused and hurt I felt, not just because he hadn't stood up for me after a point, but for the fact that I actually stepped out of the car and left him in my wake.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah, I'm so nervous about this!
Comment, please.