Status: COMPLETE.

The Walls Caved In

you'll be my crutch tonight

This was the day. Well, day one of two. Night one of two, I should say.

It was the beginning of May. School got out in a few weeks, which meant I would soon be a high school graduate. I was going to be out of this town, just a big city over attending the University of Alabama. I was going to be more responsible for myself in the next few months than I had ever been in my life thus far.

Only now, for the next few hours, that will be out of my mind. I won't be responsible. I won't be worried or anxious. I won't be anything, except maybe content, happy, giddy. Drunk off punch and dancing and shiny dresses and corsages. That's right.

Drunk off prom.

Prom one of two.

▼▲

South High always had their Prom on the first Saturday in May, North the second. This meant I was the one who got to wield my boyfriend around by the arm, parade him about my school and show him off to my new friends. Well, that's how Eric had put it the night we had asked each other to prom.

I had been so nervous, sitting upstairs in his bedroom. He had gone to get a refill downstairs, leaving me alone. I knew I needed to ask, seeing as it would be so wrong if he asked me about his prom and I left mine what... hanging there?

"What's going on?" he asked, as soon as saw me through the doorway. He came to sit beside me, setting his drink down on his desk.

"I need to talk to you," I said.

"I need to talk to you, too." I looked up, waiting. "You first, though."

"Oh, okay, well. Go to prom with me?" Then it was out there, so easily said.

He didn't smile. He seemed to be frowning. I raised an eyebrow.

"What's wrong? Are you busy that night or something?"

"Duh I'm going with you," he scoffed. "You just kinda, stole the moment away from me?"

"Well, steal it back," I told him, not thinking.

"Okay, then," he whispered, scooting closer to me. Picking up my hand, loosely twisting his fingers around mine.

"Would you, Joyce Anne Bailey, allow me to escort you to North High's prom? It would surely mean the world to me, you know, seeing as you rarely give me the chance to show you off to all the low lives lurking my school. I know, I know, how could I allow myself to let you even be a thousand feet within their presences? Don't ask me, I wouldn't know, but, please, babe, will you?"

By the time Eric had finished his speech I was bursting with laughter. Eric stared at me, a slight smile on his lips as I tried to calm myself. "Take your time," he said. I burst into another fit.

"So, what will it be? You already laughed at me, but I'm not quite sure what that is, a yes or a no?"

"Yes, silly," I laugh once more, catching his smile. Eric rolled his eyes, reaching out, pulling my face close to his.

So, now, Eric is driving my car to my school. I watch him as he drives, try to gage what he's feeling right now. He seemed excited enough when his mom drove him to my house, held my hand as my parents and his mom snapped pictures on the lawn, swore up and down that he was going to take good care of me tonight (when my dad asked.)

Only now, he hasn't turned the radio on and isn't talking, isn't smiling in the slightest as he drives, eyes on the road, never on me.

"Is something wrong?" I ask.

"What?" I startle him. "What?" he says, again.

"Is something bothering you?"

"Yeah, kinda," he mutters, looking back to the road. After a second he looks back to me, grabbing my hand from where it had been resting in my lap. "It's got nothing to do with tonight, though. I've just been having trouble sorting through mail."

By mail, I know he means acceptance and rejection letters. He won't tell me where he's applied for, where he's heard from so far. He wants to leave that for later, not now. He doesn't want it to ruin what we have right now.

▼▲

I'm dancing at prom two, wearing dress two, with boy one of one. When Eric suggests we go dancing again, I oblige after a bathroom break. The upbeat, poppy song that had been playing ends as soon as we find our way into the throng of people.

The next song is slow. At first I want to groan, look up at Eric and ask him for us to sit this one out, wait for the next song, but he's already pulling me close, wrapping his arms around my waist.

I lean my head against his chest, arms hanging loosely around his neck. We dance for a few verses, just listening to the music.

"Joy," a whisper in my ear.

"Hmm?"

"I have something to tell you."

"Yeah?" I close my eyes, swaying still.

I didn't think that the next three words from his mouth would change me for the next few hours, freak me out and make me anxious like they did. My eyes pop open at his words, my neck breaks out in a cold sweat. It was so odd to hear, I mean, after all this time, it really, really was.

"I got accepted."
♠ ♠ ♠
So... one chapter left. Yep.
I didn't proofread this, so if you see any errors, point them out! Thanks!