What Hurts the Most

Forget About Me, It's What I Deserve

The door flung open once more and there stood Alexander William Gaskarth and some trashy little blonde skank, draped over his arm like she were a towel. And a wet towel at that.

Maddie’s heart shattered into a million pieces. She felt like there was no air to breathe, but some how she managed to keep a smile on her face and just brush it off. I mean, it was only two years ago.

“Guys this is Kelsey,” Alex introduced. Everyone just looked at him with a look of anger. He just shook his head and walked back out the door with this ‘Kelsey’ girl.

As soon as the door latched shut, Maddie’s face with drenched in her own tears. Jack picked her up from where she was standing and put her on the couch between him and Zack. Maddie began gasping for a breath, the beating in her chest was becoming so quick, she thought she was going to die.

“Maddie,” She heard Jack say worriedly, “MADDIE!”

She tried to regain her focus and looked at Jack then at Zack and now at Rian, who had stood in front of her. Her eyes screamed all the words that needed to be said.

“Maddie,” Rian cooed, “Listen to me.”

Her breath started to slow down, along with her heart beat.

“Maddie,” He said sternly, holding her shoulders against the couch, “Breathe.”
“Her.. He.. I..” She muttered.
“Make a sentence Maddie,” Rian directed, although her already knew. Zack and Jack just exchanged completely confused faces and went back to trying to calm Maddie down.

She stop breathing heavily and the boys loosened their grip on her. She sat up and leaned over, putting her head in her hands. She looked up a few minutes later, her eyes all red.

She looked directly at Rian and spoke so clearly, “I can’t do this.”

“You can,” He encouraged.
“No,” She said shaking her head, “I can’t stay with her on his arms, knowing it should be me.”

Jack and Zack looked at each other, then at Maddie, then at Rian who mouthed the words ‘shut up’ to them.

“So let me get this straight,” Jack started, “Maddie loves Alex, but Alex loves Kelsey.”
“No, Alex fucks Kelsey,” Zack clarified, “Just like every other girl he meets.”
“Except me,” Maddie whispered.
“Maddie,” Rian sighed.

“No, they’re right. He fucks every other girl, except for me. Because I am just Madeline Annalise Asher who used to be his best friend. Fuck! Who even used to be his girlfriend! But now I am sitting here crying my fucking eyes out because I love him. I fucking love him,” She sobbed.

The room was quiet, and the air was thick.

“Five minutes guys,” A man said poking his head in the door. Zack glanced up and nodded at him.

“Why don’t you go home Maddie,” Rian suggested.
“I can’t.”
“Why?”
“I didn’t drive all the way out here just to break down and not watch you play,” She smiled weakly. Rian hugged her tightly before helping her to the side of the stage.