Love is life and if you miss love, you miss life

Chapter 1

‘Friendship is a single soul dwelling in two bodies’ Aristotle

‘You got a little something on your nose Brendon!’ I laughed pointing.
‘Whaaa?? No I don’t!’ he said curiously touching his nose.
‘No? Oh well NOW YOU DO’ I screamed as I plunged the ice cream into his face. I burst out laughing and jumped off the wall making for a fast getaway. But Brendon caught me and practically tackled me to the ground.
‘Hey! That’s no way to treat a girl,’ I yelled.
‘Well, that’s no way to treat your best friend and besides…you’re not really a girl,’ giggled Brendon.
I made a shocked expression and folded my arms. I was joking though; I knew I could as well have been a boy. With my hair always pulled back and my baggy t-shirts and my love of sport and the playstation, I never took offence to being called a boy. Brendon and I are best friends. We are ten years old and we live in Nevada. We only have each other and that’s all we need.
‘Brendon? Would you ever kiss me?’ I ask.
‘Eww, no. Why?’ he asked laughing his head off at the thought of kissing a girl, particularly me.
‘I dunno. I’ve never kissed a boy. I mean I see it on TV and stuff and I just wanna know what it feels like,’ I say giggling.
‘Yeah but I don’t wanna kiss you. That’s gross,’ he said rubbing his sticky fingers in his batman shirt and making puking noises.
‘Fine then,’ I say as I put down my head and start picking at the grass. Then totally by surprise Brendon leans in and gives me a peck on the lips, although he kinda got my eye too. He jumped up and ran off. I smiled. That was disgusting. I jumped up and ran after him.
I walked in my front door later that evening and heard yelling so I dashed to my room. They were fighting again. Mommy and Daddy. It’s scary sometimes and I hate when I see Mommy crying and Daddy rushing out in the car and not coming home for a long time. I give Mommy water and wipe away her tears. She tells me I’m a good girl. I like that. This was a bad fight though, worse than usual. I could hear stuff smashing. Suddenly I heard footsteps pounding up the stairs, each pounding hitting my heart. I buried myself in my bed covers. My door flew open.
‘Sarah? Sarah, honey, we’re leaving,’ Mommy said, sobbing and choking on her own tears. She grabbed a suitcase from under my bed and filled it up with some of my stuff. I grabbed Rufus, my stuffed bear and started to cry too. Where are we going?
Mommy pulled me down the stairs. My Daddy was still shouting.
‘WHERE DO YOU THINK, YOU’RE GOING?’ he yelled, his hands grabbing Mommy but she jumped into the car and yanked me in and pushed me into the back seat. ‘GET BACK! I MEAN IT JEAN GET BACK HERE.’
We reversed out of our driveway for the last time. I saw Brendon. He stood outside his house. His little face shrivelled up, trying to understand what was happening. Tears streamed down my face and I waved goodbye. His eyes widened and he ran after the car, dropping the football he had been playing with. He ran and ran and threw something small in the window. His beloved Spiderman chain.
I watched him out of the rear window, getting smaller and smaller until I couldn’t see him anymore.