Love is life and if you miss love, you miss life

Chapter 10

‘Anger and jealousy can no more bear to lose sight of their objects than love’ George Eliot

It was ten months after that first gig in Las Vegas. Even I looking back can’t believe how successful the guys had become. I think it first really hit me when I walked out of a shop in Florida with Jules and someone took a picture and ran down the street. For the rest of the day I felt almost uncomfortable, I mean I still can’t get over the fact that Brendon, my Brendon, is like this big rock star and has girls all over him. I mean, I trust him of course but I’m not used to him getting all the attention.
Jules and I arrived at band practise a little late to find Darren and Lynn knoodling on the couch while Kyle sat on the edge looking pretty awkward. Just so you know Lynn finally gave into Darren and now they’ve been together for almost two years. They are like the Stepford Couple!
When Lynn finally came up for air we got down to practise.
‘I wrote some new lyrics guys,’ I said pulling out my journal. ‘Just so you know if you want to hear it and we could think up some chord progressions or a riff or something.’
‘Sarah, this is great!’ exclaimed Kyle. ‘I mean that gives us eight songs that we have written. That’s more than enough for an EP or demo.’
‘Yeah, look all we have to do is get ourselves heard guys because I know we have the talent,’ said Darren.
‘Yeah well at least Battle of The Bands is coming up and we’ll audition for it’ said Jules. ‘Now, come on, we had better start practising if we are going to play anywhere.’
Later that evening I phoned Brendon.
‘We’re sorry, this person is not accessible at the moment please try again later,’ came the woman’s voice. I sighed, I heard that voice more than I heard Brendons lately. I hadn’t spoke to him in four days, that’s the longest ever. I pulled my duvet up over my head and fell into an uneasy sleep.
BZZZZ! BZZZZ! My phone vibrated off the table. I woke with a start and grabbed for my phone.
‘Hello?’ I say lazily.
‘Sass! How are you?’ shouted Brendon down the phone as there was a lot of noise. ‘Just saw your call.’
‘That’s great,’ I said angrily.
‘Sass? What’s up,’ he asked sounding genuinely concerned.
‘What’s up Brendon? What’s up? I’ll tell you what’s up! The moon is fucking up Brendon, the moon. And when the moon is up that is when people sleep!’
‘Geez, sorry Sass,’ he said. ‘I thought you’d be happy to hear from me. Guess not.’
‘Call me tomorrow. If your not too busy that is,’ I sneered and snapped the phone shut.
Thinking back over it, it may have been a bit harsh but I’m feeling neglected. So fucking what, he’s a rock star. If he loved me he’d make an effort.