Love is life and if you miss love, you miss life

Chapter 3

‘Experience is simply the name we give to our mistakes’ Oscar Wilde.

I pulled him up and practically jumped on him and he struggled to take off his roller blades. We stood there awkwardly for a few minutes not quite knowing what to say.
‘Gosh, you’ve changed. I mean you look like a girl!’ he stuttered. ‘I mean, you are a girl…I just meant you don’t look like a boy anymore…not that you looked like a boy…but you look…..you look great.’ He went deeply red and I laughed. He hasn’t changed a bit. That cute floppy hair and his bubbly personality. I just couldn’t believe it was actually him.
‘Thanks. I get it’, I said, still giggling. ‘What are you doing here?’
‘Family Vacation thing,’ he said. ‘I forgot you lived here. But you, I didn’t forget about you.’
‘You never kept in touch Brendon,’ I said sadly.
‘I couldn’t. My Mum didn’t want me too. Apparently too traumatic for a ten year old. But you….I mean you never kept in touch either,’ he said.
‘No,’ I sighed. ‘But I never stopped thinking about you.’
Woah. I said way too much. Cue the awkward silence.
‘So how long are you here for Brendon?’ I asked quickly.
‘Another week and a half,’ he said cheering up. ‘We should hang out and this time and we’ll keep in touch.’
‘Yeah,’ I said. ‘Let’s do that.’
So we walked along the beach until Brendon had to leave. We made plans to meet the next day and when he hugged me goodbye my stomach did a weird flip thing. It was weird because as I walked away I thought I couldn’t possibly like him. I mean he had grown up to be very cute, but it was Brendon. I mean we threw balls at each other, watched Superman re-runs and had burping competitions!
When I retuned to the table, Mum definitely noticed something had happened.
‘Mum you will never guess who I ran into,’ I gasped. ‘Brendon!’
‘What? Like little Brendon, from Vegas?’ she asked mouth hanging open.
‘Yeah!’ I laughed. Then she went silent and I realised how many bad memories that must have brought back. The screaming, the shouting, the hitting. We both stayed pretty quiet for the rest of the night.