Love is life and if you miss love, you miss life

Chapter 9

‘Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness’ Maya Angelou

I sat in my room writing up and essay I had due for school. Suddenly, my phone beeped and as the name flashed up on the screen I smiled.
‘Hello?’ I said.
‘SASS! SASS!’ yelled Brendon going crazy. ‘We did it Sass! WE GOT SIGNED! PANIC! AT THE FUCKING DISCO ARE SIGNED!’
‘WHAT????’ I said getting up and jumping around. ‘You mean? He signed you! Pete Wentz signed you?’
‘Yeah!!!!’ he yelled.
I jumped around the room screaming for about ten minutes.
‘Oh Brendon that’s awesome!’ I said calming down. ‘I’m so happy for you guys! I’m so proud of you Brendon!’
‘Aww Sass, you know I couldn’t have done it without you behind me,’ he said.
‘Tell Ryan, Spence and Brent congrats for me yeah?’ I laughed.
‘Yeah sure,’ he replied. ‘Are you gonna come down for our first live performance?’
‘Am I what?’ I said laughing. ‘Of course!’
I was still bounding around the room, high as a kite. I rang Mom, Tom, Jules, Darren, Kyle and everyone I could think of. I had never been prouder of anyone in my life. But suddenly a bomb fell.
What if this changes everything? I mean if he becomes some huge megastar, will we last? I mean, can our love get through this? I reassured myself and tried to re-focus on my paper.
Two weeks later I was back in Las Vegas for the big show. Brendon, however, was not there to meet me at the airport, he was too busy preparing for the big gig tonight. Which of course was totally understandable, I mean it was a big deal. But I couldn’t help but feel the twinge of doubt that was talking to me in the back of my head.
I was picked up and driven straight to the venue, which was a medium sized venue but kinda looked like a bar. I picked up my bags and stood outside in the alleyway. It was all very different, and all too intimidating. This is the first time that Brendon hadn’t come to the airport to pick me up. Suddenly the doors opened and security personal escorted me inside.
I was led to one of the changing rooms, where I found Brendon grinning at me through a mirror. I ran over to him and jumped into his arms. We embraced and then I looked at him.
‘Brendon, you look amazing,’ I said. His hair was cut differently and his make-up was perfect. His cloths were different but so very Panic! At The Disco. ‘I’m so proud of you.’
He grinned away until Ryan, Spencer and Brent walked in. I had met them all before but had only gotten to really know Ryan. He looked gorgeous I had to admit with a red vest with roses on the side and his face painted in the most intricate eye make-up I had ever seen. I was so surprised to learn he had done it himself. Spencer seemed a bit more conservative but he was lovely and his big, blue eyes had been the first thing I noticed about him. Brent was even quieter than Spencer and I had really talked to him at all much but he seemed like a decent guy.
‘Hey guys,’ I said, hugging them all in turn. ‘You all look fab! I can’t wait to see you tonight!’
‘Thanks Sarah,’ said Ryan. ‘Good trip?’
I nodded and they all began talking excitedly until Brendon suddenly yells.
‘Is it okay if I get naked,’ he says as he yanks off his top. I burst out laughing and ran over to hug his shirt-less body.
‘What?’ says Brendon. ‘It was itchy!’
They all began to joke and I felt so welcome among them. I really was so lucky to have met this guy and to have gotten to know his amazing friends.
All too soon the time came for them to go on stage. I was going to watch from the sidelines. Brendon got really nervous, well they all were, but him more so. I comforted him and told him he’d be fine. Then, it was time. I let him go.
The lights went up and the crowd roared. Ryan, Spencer and Spent swarmed onto the stage. Brendon took one look back at me and then turned to the crowd. He took a deep a deep breath and made his way onto the stage, the cheers from the crowd drowning his fears.