7 words

Tonight

Joe's P.O.V.

Tonight was the night. I, Joe Jonas was going to propose to my girlfriend of 14 months. Yea, I am only 21, but I love her. And I know she loves me.

Melodie is her name. It just describes her. Loveable, amazing, beautiful, poetic, complicated, determined, intelligent. I could go on, but then I would be late for our date.

I was so nervous. I was shaking so bad that I couldn’t even hold brush to brush my hair. I had to call in Kevin to help me get ready. By the time I was done, I had less than thirty minutes to set up.

I quickly thanked Kevin and grabbed my guitar. I was going to sweep her off her feet. Make her feel special, and important. The way she deserves to feel every day.

I went to the beach and quickly set up the candlelight picnic we were going to have. After everything was perfect, I made sure I had the ring, and I stood up to wait for her. The plan was for her best friend, Ann, to drive her here blindfolded and lead her to where the picnic was set up, then leave us alone. Everyone including my parents, her parents, and all of our siblings knew the plan. Now it was time to put the plan into motion.

I looked out into the ocean as I waited. It was a beautiful night. And as I looked into the ocean, I couldn’t help but think of Melodie. I thought of the way her hair flows in the wind, how her nose crinkles when she is confused, how her face scrunches up when she is confused. I thought of how proud she was that her name was spelled with an id, and not a y. Which of course I softly chuckled at.

But then, I thought of how her laughter meets my ears like a sweet melody, and how her voice has a calming effect on me, a small smile dancing on my face the entire time. She was Melodie, my Melodie. The love of my life, my one true love, my soul mate, no matter what you want to call it, she was the one I wanted to spend a lifetime with.

After awhile of staring at the ocean, I checked my phone to make sure I hadn’t gotten the time wrong. Nope. It was well after the meeting time, and I became worried. I called Ann, but she wouldn’t answer.

I waited another 5 minutes before calling her again, but before I got a chance to press send, Kevin called.

“Kevin?” I asked.

“Joe, there’s been an accident. It’s Melodie.” He said sadly.

My heart raced. Those 7 little words would change my life forever.

I ran up the beach, leaving my picnic and guitar behind me. Nothing mattered to me but Melodie. I had to get to her, I needed to see her.

I reached the hospital in record time. I ran upstairs and asked the receptionist where Melodie Dipartha’s room was. When she told me, I was off again. Outside her door was my parents, Mr. and Mrs. Dipartha, Nick, Kevin, and Melodie’s little brother Arthur. One look in my mother’s eyes told me everything I didn’t want to hear.

“Where is she?” I asked softly.

My father pointed to the door in front of them, and I made my way in. The first thing I heard was a machine beeping, which turned out to be her heart monitor. I felt myself relax a little bit, and some hope, maybe everyone was wrong.

But then I looked at her.

This wasn’t the Melodie I knew. Her face was scratched up, her arm in a cast, a terrible bruise on her neck, and machines all around her beeping and running wild.

I felt sick to my stomach. I couldn’t breath or even move. I just stood there staring at her.

Then, suddenly, almost as if on cue, the heart monitor stopped beeping and one flat monotone ring hit me like a bullet to the chest. The rest of the night was a blur.

Doctor’s rushing me out of the room.

My mother hugging me.

My brothers sobbing.

And me, just standing.

I could have done more, I could have saved her. But I was too late. It was all my fault.

7 words. Who knew 7 words could have such an impact on my life. Those 7 little words.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I wrote this awhile ago when I was in a very depressed mood. Comments?