Hands

1/1

She stared at the fingers spread in a fan, head tilted to the side, wondering why her skin shined in the light. She focused her gaze through her fingers, catching his eye and giving him a fey smile.

“Hi.” She said, lowering her chin and looking at him through her feathered eyelashes. He smiled back, rising from the chair he sat in to walk to her.

“Hi babe,” he said, smiling and holding his hand against hers. His fingers slid sideways to curl his hand with hers, and they could feel the contrasts between their hands; his, warm and calloused, hers, cold and soft.

She stared at their hands, the smile fading from her lips, curiosity growing in her face. She loosened her fingers from his grip, and gently flattened his hand. She spread his fingers, one by one, the cool tips of her nails brushing the calluses on his fingertips. She looked up at his face, a smile blooming on her lips once more. He looked down at her and smiled; with a slight giggle, she returned her gaze to the hand held in hers.

She ran her fingers over the lines on his palm, pressing lightly, delighting in the feel of his warm skin. She tapped each of the calluses on his strong hands, counting them in her head. “Seven,” she murmurs.

“What?” He said quietly, a laugh in the word; she ignored him, flipping his hand over. She spread his fingers, uttering a short, breathy laugh at the small spaces of un-tanned skin stretched between them. She traced the long scar of the back of his hand with a nail, spinning her finger away from it to draw loopy designs on his skin; she watched the blood coursing through his hand slowly making the marks fade.

She stopped, laying her hand on top of his. Her slender fingers slid between his, and she curled them up to touch his palm. She pressed her hand hard against his, and frowned, her eyes closing and her face falling into lines of fear. A little sob slipped from between her lips; she gulped, holding back the next.

She opened her eyes and looked up at him, still crushing his hand.

“I love you,” she said. “Don’t ever go anywhere.”

He raised his other hand to place it lightly on the hand crushing his and pressed his lips to her cool forehead. He spoke in a quiet voice, lips tickling her forehead.

“Never.”