Give 'Em Hell, Kid.

Thing Of The Past.

The two small children sat alone on the bench at the local park. The older of the two – the boy, Matthew, just six years old – had his arm around his best friend lovingly. The girl, Emily, half a year younger, laid her head on her best friend’s shoulder and sighed heavily.

“Emmy! Look.” Matthew said excitedly. She looked up to see the first sprinkles of snow falling onto the ground in front of them. They grinned at each other and jumped up, running into the beautiful white snow.

“Ma-few!” Emily called - in a childish tone as she struggled with saying some letters - warning him as she picked a little of the fallen snow and threw it at him. He giggled and threw some back at her. There wasn’t much snow yet, so they couldn’t have a proper snow fight. Sitting back down, the little children made promises to each other.

“I p-promise…” Matthew started, looking serious. “I promise that you will be my bestest friend forever. She smiled.

“I pwomise too!” The two held out their hands for a ‘pinky-promise’. Before they knew it, it was getting late so they walked back to their houses down the street. Matthew and Emily stood outside of Emily’s home. Emily’s hell.

“I’ll see you tommowow okay.” Emily stated demandingly. The boy smiled.

“Yup! I will.” He gave her a hug and they walked into their houses. They got to their doors and turned to look at one another before waving and giggling.

--

Emily crept inside preying her step dad wasn’t home. She was lucky today. She missed her father. Her mother left Emily and her sister Lucia’s father over a year ago. Emily was four and a half, her sister - six. Emily wandered into to lounge room to find her sister.

“Hey Emmy.” Lucia said with a smile.

“Hi Lucy.” Emily smiled back and sat on the couch with her sister.

“Mum has to work tonight. We have to stay with Allan.” Lucia stated. Emily went a pale shade. Tears welled in her eyes. Her sister cuddled her until she fell asleep. She soon was being shaken awake.

“Em, c’mon we have to go. Now. To our room.” Lucia pulled her sister hurriedly into their room and locked the door.

“What’s wrong?” Emily looked confused. Lucia patted her bed, motioning for Emily to sit down.

“Mummy and Allan are fighting again.” She smiled feebly at her little sister, who curled up into Lucy’s arms, and cried herself to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Do you like it?