I Can't Do It Alone

Happy

Two Months Later

Tia sat at Wachovia Center, tapping her feet along to the music, as she waited for the third game of the playoffs to begin. The Penguins were already beating the Flyers two games to none, and she was nervous as to how they would respond to their first game in Philadelphia.

She looked at Brooklyn, sitting to her right, wearing a ‘Future Penguin’ maternity shirt, and she smiled to herself. She didn’t know whether Brooklyn or Max was more excited for the baby, which they were finding out the following week on one of Max’s days off whether it was going to be a boy or a girl.

Tia knew that Max wished that Brooklyn was pregnant with twins, just so he could have one of each, but she was sure that Brooklyn would kill him if that happened. It was going to be hard enough for her to raise one baby with Max being gone for so long. She couldn’t even imagine having two of them.

Tia then glanced at Jocelyn on the other side of her, wearing one of Sid’s jerseys. They had been completely inseparable since Jocelyn had decided to stay in Pittsburgh. Tia had been badgering Sid to just ask her to marry him already, but he kept telling her that he would ask her when the time was right, which led Tia to believe that the two of them would be engaged in ten years, with the way those two were.

She then looked out at the ice, watching as the team took the ice for their pre-game skate. Her eyes immediately went to the number 58 jersey, as she watched him stretch before taking some shots against Fleury.

She thought back on everything that had happened in the last few months, and she felt as if her life should have been on a soap opera with how everything had played out. But, her life was finally back to normal now.

Marcus was prosecuted two weeks ago, and not only was he going to be going to jail, but Tia also got a restraining order against him, so when he did get out of jail, he wouldn’t be able to come anywhere near her.

She and Kris had continued to live together, even when she had told him she could move back to her apartment. Kris had argued that he had already gotten used to her living there and waking up next to her, that he didn’t know what he’d do if she wasn’t there.

Tia was pulled out of her thoughts when Jocelyn began talking to Brooklyn. “So, how many goals is your baby daddy going to score?” she asked jokingly.

Brooklyn and Tia laughed at Jocelyn’s attempt to be hip, before she answered. “I’ll go with two assists,” she smiled.

“You don’t even think he can get a goal?” Tia asked in surprise.

Brooklyn ignored her, rolling her eyes, as she turned her attention to the ice. The other two did the same, watching their respective boyfriends.

***

After a thrilling three against one victory over the Flyers, the six of them went out for dinner to celebrate the win. Waiting for their food to arrive, Jocelyn turned around to look at Max. “So, which are you hoping for?” she asked. “A boy or a girl?”

“You can’t make me answer that,” Max whined.

“Why not?” Jocelyn asked. “It’s an easy question. Look, I’ll answer it first. I want a little girl, because, let’s face it, I don’t think any of us are ready for another Max in the world,” she said with a smile, letting him know she was joking.

“I’m not answering,” Max told her, shaking his head.

“Fine,” Jocelyn said, crossing her arms. “Tia, what about you? Are you hoping they have a boy or a girl?” she asked, looking at Tia across the table.

“I’m going to have to go with a boy,” Tia replied, and Jocelyn’s smile dropped in shock. “Come on, can’t you just imagine a little Max skating around on the ice?” she asked.

“Yeah, and can’t you imagine a little Max running around the house when you’re trying to babysit?” Jocelyn countered.

“Okay, I see your point,” Tia admitted. “But, I’m still going with a boy,” she said. She looked at Kris, sitting next to her. “What about you? A little Max or a little Brooklyn?” she asked him.

“I’m going with Jocelyn on this one,” he told her. “I have to say another Max is a little too much for me,” Kris said, and Tia hit him in the arm.

“Sid?” Tia asked.

“I’ve got to go with a little girl,” Sid replied.

“What?” Tia cried. “Why am I the only one that would love to see them have a baby boy?” she asked.

“I have to admit, I’m kind of hoping for a boy,” Brooklyn spoke up, and everyone turned their attention to her. “What?” she asked when she saw everyone staring at her. “I agree with Tia. I kind of want to see my little boy growing up, learning to play hockey, just like his dad,” she smiled up at Max.

“Aw, thanks, Brook,” he told her, leaning over and kissing her.

“So, it’s all up to you, Max,” Jocelyn told him. “What are you hoping for? A boy or a girl?”

“Twins,” Max replied with a smile, causing everyone to burst out in laughter.

“You would say that,” Jocelyn told him.

“What?” Max asked. “That way I can watch my little boy grow up to be a hockey player, and my little girl grow up to be a figure skater.”

“Wait a minute,” Brooklyn spoke. “You think that just because she’s a girl that she has to figure skate?” she questioned. “Why can’t she play hockey? Because hockey’s a man’s sport?”

Max stuttered, trying to reply. “No…it’s just…that’s not…”

“You just dug yourself into a hole,” Tia laughed. “Nice going.”

“Can we just go back to the part where I said I wanted twins, and we can just stop that conversation there?” he asked.

“You are so lucky I love you,” Brooklyn said, giving him a kiss.

Tia looked around the table, happy to see that everyone had finally gotten through all of their problems, and they were all finally happy, including her. Kris put his arm around her, and she leaned into his touch, giving him a quick kiss before turning back around to the table.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, that was the end, but it was pretty much just a lead-in to the sequel, I Could Rest Beneath Your Smile.

I want to thank you all for reading! You guys are seriously the best ever! You all motivated me to keep going with this story with all of your comments! So, thank you all so much!

And, I’m just kind of curious as to whether you all would want Brooklyn and Max to have a baby boy or a baby girl. So, let me know in your comment!