Jumper

Introductions

I met my current boyfriend while I was working. Now that can sound normal, but not if you knew what my job was. My job is to talk people out of committing suicide. Mostly just people who are planning on jumping. Most of them hesitate long enough for me to get close enough for me to talk them down. Some don't. Some are set and determined on what they plan on doing. So, I have been unfortunate to have witnessed many deaths. Not pleasant, but I'm the one who chose this job.

Anyways, as I was saying before, I met my current boyfriend while working. He wasn't the same as everyone else. His reasons for wanting to jump, were definitely not the same as everyone else's. And his reasons make him seem crazy, but that's just part of who he is. He wasn't depressed. He didn't have any reason for wanting to die. He just wanted to. He wanted to know what it was like. I remember when I asked him why he was doing this. He just turned to smile at me, a true smile, and said, "Why not? Have you ever wondered what it's like?"

Hell, I thought he was crazy. He, well, we, were standing on top of a building. Him, up on the edge. Me standing about a foot away. He looked down, closing his eyes as a cool breeze blew over us. I knew he was preparing himself.

"Can I just talk to you for a few minutes first?" I asked. He looked at me.

"Why?" he asked.

"It's part of my job," I said. He shrugged.

"I guess you can talk to me," he said. "But only if you truly want to, not just because it's your job."

"At this point in my career, I genuinely want to talk to you," I said.

"Can I ask why?" he asked, looking at me.

"I've seen a lot of suicides," I said. "I try to make it so I don't have to see more."

"That's understandable," he said. I thought I saw a look of guilt in his eyes, but he turned away before I could get a good look. He looked down toward the ground again.

"So," I said. "What's your name?"

"Tom," he said. "May I ask yours?"

"Katie," I said.

"Katie," he said to himself. He turned his head slightly and smiled. "I like that name."

"Thank you," I said. "Now, is there any way that I can get you to change your mind about jumping?"

"I don't think so," he said. "Usually when I make decisions to do something, I stick with that decision."

"Are you sure you want to end your life now?" I asked. "You're still so young. How old are you?"

"Twenty three," he said.

"You don't want to live the rest of your life?" I asked. He looked thoughtful for a moment.

"You know, I don't actually know what I want," Tom said.

"If you jump off this building, you won't ever get to find out what it is you want," I said.

"True," he said. "But how do you know the jump will even kill me?"

"We're pretty high up," I said. "There is no doubt in my mind that this jump will kill you."

He thought a minute.

"How about this?" he said. "I won't jump. But, you have to go on a date with me."

"I'll do anything, if it means you won't jump," I said. He turned around all the way now. His front facing me entirely.

"Anything?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I'll go on a date with you," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Great," he said.

From that day on, Tom became an important part of my life. He taught me to live life. He comforted me when my job upset me. But what we didn't know was that someone was going to change everything. Everything in life that seemed beautiful, soon wouldn't seem so beautiful to me anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think? Leave a comment. :]
~Sally