Jumper

Not Right

The suicide phone, as I liked to call it, was ringing. I got out off bed quickly as Tom sat up slowly, mumbling sleepily. He was still getting used to the late night calls. Now, there are other people with this job, but everyone knew that my success rate was higher, so I was the one people called the most. I answered the phone quickly as I put on my shoes. Jotting down the address I rushed out the door as I grabbed my helmet. I drove a motorbike when I was on the job. It was given to me by the police station. It had the flashing lights which helped me get to where I needed to go faster. Plus it's much easier to maneuver around cars on a bike.

I made my way to the scene without any delays. Which was normal. There was already a good sized crowd forming. The police hadn't arrived yet. I looked up where everyone was staring and pointing to find my guy. I hated how they pointed and stared, gawking like it's some kind of show. But then again, if the person trying to kill themselves doesn't want people staring and pointing they shouldn't do it where people are most likely going to see them. But I preferred that people saw them, just because then I can do my job.

I ran into the building the person was standing on. Luckily there was an elevator, which I happily took to the top. A lot quicker than the stairs, plus I didn't have to try and talk to someone with every word I say coming out between breaths. I had to take the stairs to the room though. I didn't mind that. As long as I don't have to run at full speed up 10 flights of stairs.

I opened the door to the roof slowly. I see the guy standing at the edge of the building, but just the back of him. I didn't know it then, but this guy was going to change everything in my life more than Tom did. But not in a good way. I slowly headed towards him.

"Hey," I said quietly. His head snapped around, his eyes locking with mine. They were very intense. I knew he'd be tough to talk down. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Why?" he asked.

"I just want you to give what you're doing a second thought," I said slowly.

"I have," he said. "In fact, I've given it many thoughts and now I'm acting on those thoughts. So if you could go.."

"Can I ask why you're doing this?" I asked.

"No, you can't," he said. "Can I ask why you're here talking to me?"

"Because it's my job," I said. "And I want to."

"I'm sure," he scoffed.

"You want to tell me your name?" I asked.

"No," he said.

"My name's Katie," I said.

"I don't fucking care what your name is," he said. "Can you just leave me to my business."

"Do you have any friends or family?" I asked.

"Nope," he said. Shit. I could usually get them down soon if they did.

"You don't have anyone?" I asked.

"Rub it in why don't you," he said. "Maybe I'll jump sooner. Would you like that?"

"No, I wouldn't," I said. "I'd actually prefer if you didn't jump at all."

"Of course you would," he said. "Makes your life easier."

"No," I said. "I've just seen too many deaths."

"Then why continued doing your job?" he asked.

"It's worth it in the end," I said. "I had a friend that wanted to kill herself and when I thought about losing her it hurt so much. I don't want other peoples friends and family to end up hurting."

"So you don't even do your job to help the person attempting, but to help that person's friends and family?" he asked.

"No," I said. "That just gives me a reason to do my job. That's how I connect. I do do my job for both though."

"If you say so," he said. "Now, how about you leave so that I can get back to what I was doing."

"I'm not leaving anytime soon," I said.

"Fine," he said, bending his knees slightly. "Enjoy the show."

"Wait!"I said louder as he prepared to leap.

He groaned.

"What?" he asked.

"I'll make you a deal," I said. "If you get down, you can either choose never seeing me again, or I'll be your friend."

"How about I just jump?" he said. I sighed.

"Seriously," I said. "If you need a friend, I'll be your friend."

He stepped away from the edge and came to stand in front of me.

"I won't jump," he said. "But I don't want to be your friend. I'm only doing this so you'll leave me alone. I guess I'll have to find some other way to end things."

"I'm glad you're not jumping," I said. "But don't find another way to kill yourself. I'll help you with anything you need so that you can live."

I pulled one of my cards out of my pocket, along with a pen I carried around.

"I never do this," I said as I pulled the cap off of my pen and turning my card over. "But I'm going to give you my personal number."

I handed him the card which he took and put in his pocket without saying anything. He pushed past me toward the door to go back into the building.

"Can I know your name?" I called after him. He turned around to look at me as he opened the door.

"Ryan," he said. He stepped inside, letting the door fall shut behind him. I couldn't help but notice something else in his eyes. I couldn't place it, but I knew that it wasn't something good. And it worried me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I took so long to update. I was being lazy :] lol
Anyways, comments?
~Sally