Broken Glass & Hidden Dreams

Friday, June 12th, 2009

Sitting in my usual plush, leather chair by the fire in the main room of the coven, letting my mind wander to its far corners, exploring my life in mute detail.

There is an echo of footsteps. Slowly, I come back down to reality, letting the fog I was in dissipate. I look up and turn my head to see who has arrived. I sense a familiar presence. I know as much that it is not Lestat for his presence is the very strongest to me, and I do not smell fresh rain on the wind. Perhaps it is Marius? But I mostly know his fragrance as well.

The shadow of the vampire moves closer at a normal speed. The profile is one I recognize, but cannot put a finger on. I stand to show my respect to a fellow vampire.

As the vampire nears, the light from the fire illuminates his torso, followed by his face. For a brief moment, which could only seem like a millisecond to a human, I pause and confusion, anger, warmth, happiness, sadness, and fear wash through my body at once. I keep my composure.

I never thought the night would come when we would meet again. I suppose I should not have been so naive to have thought such things. A sire and his childe always find a way back to one another.

I welcome him as if I'd never seen him before, but oh, I have. I could never forget that face in all my years. After all, we are almost as one. My blood flows in his very veins. I only hope that good may prevail in all of this.

And he doesn't seem to remember me at all. Perhaps that is a good thing, but it will only make revealing my secret even harder.

I am conflicted.

I suppose I should tell him sooner rather than later so that he may hate me - and he will hate me - for a brief while, then we may become good friends. The path which leads into the future is never clear.