The Breaking Of My Own Heart

His POV

“Sorry Molly, it’s over.” I said to her even though my heart felt pain with each word knowing how un-true each word was. I had to do this, for her, I had to.

“Please don’t leave me,” her voice said desperately to me as she tightened her gloved around mine squeezing as though it would make me stay with her, I pulled my hand from hers, it felt empty and cold.

“I don’t love you anymore Molly,” I said trying to make my voice as mean, and icy as I possibly could, trying to convince her and myself that those words were true. Her eyes looked so broken and defeated it took every ounce of my being to keep from crumbling and holding her telling her it was all lies, that I could never stop loving her.

“Y-you don’t mean that,” she choked; my heart broke a little bit more.

“I do, now leave me alone,” I said backing away from her into the blowing snow, I turned and walked away as fast as I could. Tears were forcing their way to my eyes, I willed them back gulping down the lump that had taken over my throat. The pain I was feeling was unbearable. How was I going to wake every morning knowing that I had hurt her so much? Her dejected face was fresh in my memories, sobs shook me as I walked. All I could hear was the breaking of my own heart. I lifted my leather gloved hand to my eye and wiped away all evidence of my discontent.

I lifted one foot in front of the other willing myself to move forward, keeping my head down to keep from looking back, afraid to see her following me. I didn’t know where I was going, I was running away from the problem instead of facing it. My problem? Her. I wasn’t good enough for her. She was so much better than I. I could never own up to the man that she needed, that she deserved.

I turned a corner and saw I bench and sat. I put my head in my hands rubbing my sore, most likely red eyes, wiping away the stray tears that had pooled into the corner. I sighed deeply and unsteadily. My hands were becoming unbendable, my legs numbing as the flurry of flakes melted onto them, leaving little wet marks, like tears stains. I car drove past, not stopping. Music played loudly as the couple inside laughed, my heart ached for that. My heart ached for her.

My eyes became heavy, willed them to stay open, my body shook with cold. I rolled onto my side bringing my legs up onto the bench so I could lie down. My eyes were closing slowly.

“Molly,” I whispered and closed my eyes feeling nothing.