Be My Metamorphosis

freshman year. part one

“Yes mom. Mhm, love you too, I promise. Okay talk to you after classes,” I ended the phone call and ran a hand through my soft golden hair.

I moaned, not wanting to go to classes. I had just transferred from my old school in Nebraska, halfway through the school year. And duh, I was nervous, who wouldn’t be?

“Mi, come on girl! You are going to do great, I freakin’ promise it,” Peyton, my roommate, and the most amazing girl ever, poked her head around the bathroom door to smile at me.

“Peyt,” I called, already having a nickname for my new friend I had met just over a week ago. “I am nervous beyond belief! Do I look okay?”

She laughed, pulling her long hair into a loose bun.

“Miles, girl, you look great. You are going to knock every boy out, now c’mon, we are going to be late.”

I blushed, smiling at my friend. She threw me my SSM sweatshirt and I pulled it over my head, grabbing my backpack on the way.

Shattuck St. Mary’s was an amazingly beautiful school, it was so beautiful it was almost intimidating.

I said my goodbye’s to Peyton, as we were going to separate classes.

My father was the new English teacher here, my parents were divorced, and my mother was newly remarried. I had new stepbrothers and I hardly had anytime to myself, let alone with my mother. So I decided to move to SSM and go to school here.

At this moment I stood in a building surrounded by music prodigies and future Olympic athletes. Which, got me thinking, what am I doing here? I knew that I was definitely nothing special.

I had my new biology book in my arm and my schedule in the other. I was getting really irritated, and my book bag kept slipping down my arm.

And I guess I wasn’t looking because -

BAM!

I fell to the ground, falling hard on my butt.

“Are you kidding me?” I mumbled, seeing that my contents of my backpack had emptied all around the floor.

“Here, let me help you,” a Canadian accent beat down on my ears. I looked down to see a rather good looking kid, with shortish brown hair and beautiful brown eyes.

“Thanks, I’m sorry I bumped into you,” I replied, feeling my face start to grow red.

“Are you a hockey player?” the boy asked as he picked up my book bag. It was covered in hockey patches.

“Yeah, I’ve been playing forever. My dad’s a big fan, so I grew up with it,” I stood up at the same time he did, gazing into his eyes. “Do you play?”

He laughed, almost mockingly, “Yeah, that’s why I’m here. I’m on the hockey team actually.”

I felt so horrible, he probably thought I was an idiot.

“I’m sorry, I just transferred here, I didn’t know,” I explained, feeling out of breath.

“Hey, don’t worry about it, okay? I kind of figured anyway, with the schedule and all,” he chuckled, coming down to my eye level. “I’m Jonathan by the way, Jonathan Toews.” He stuck out his hand.

I gladly took his hand in mine. “I’m Miles, Miles Christenson.” I giggled.

“That’s a really pretty name,” he said, my heart started pounding ten times faster. “So what’s your first class?”

We both began walking and I turned to get a good look at him. Jonathan was wearing a maroon polo, black pants and his hockey team coat on. And damn, was the boy good looking.

I looked at my schedule. “Well, Biology with Mr. Smith.”

“No way, same here! This is going to be awesome, now I can introduce you to everyone Miles,” he paused. “Err, is it okay if I call you that? You can call me Jon or Tazer?”

I laughed at him. “Sure! And okay, Tazer.”

“Follow me Miles,” Jon grabbed my hand, intertwining his fingers with mine, and pulled me down the crowded hallway.

“Jonny! Great game last night! That goal was sick,” a boy yelled when we walked into the room. He was sitting on the desk and high fived Jonathan as we walked in.

“Thanks Alex,” Jonathan said, flashing the boy, Alex, a beautiful smile.

My knees went weak.

Jonathan threw his arm around my shoulders.

“Guys, listen up! This is Miles Christenson,” Jonathan announced, pointing at me with his thumb. “She’s new here, and if anyone decides to mess with her, you’ll be hearing from me.”

Jon smiled at me, and the whole class oohed.

“Take your seats, class is starting,” Mr. Smith walked in and started to take role.

I sat across from Jon and smiled, knowing I wasn’t going to be having as bad a day as I thought I was going to.

I felt like I had this connection with Jon, but not the romantic kind, I felt like we could be best friends.

-------->
----->


Soon the days turned into weeks, and Jonathan and I were becoming closer fast.

I was going to watch Jonathan's practice right now. And he honestly would not stop talking about how I should ask the coach to skate with the girls team, and all. But I really didn't want to. He hadn't even seen me skate so what did he know if I was good or bad?

I sat down on the cold bench and scanned the ice, looking for Jonathan. I saw him and he waved slightly at me, I could see through his mask he was smiling up at me. One guy elbowed him and Jon turned around and started talking to him.

"Miles!"

Peyton reached my side in no time, I had forgotten she was meeting me here. I looked up and was met with brown eyes.

"Hey! Nice to meet you, Peyton talks about you a lot, I'm Tegan," the girl introduced, giving me a smile and sitting down beside me, Peyton sat on my other side.

"Nice to meet you too, I think you're in one of my classes?" I asked hesitantly, looking sideways at the girl.

She had jet black hair that was braided into two long perfect braids that laid down her back. Tegan was a really pretty girl who had a lot of friends. So honestly I felt intimidated when I was around her.

Tegan smiled, "Yeah, I think we have biology together. So I see you and Mr. Toews with each other, what's going on there?"

Peyton and her laughed together and my face instantly went bright red.

"Nothing, honestly, just friends."

"Suure," Peyton sung, hugging me.

"What about you and Zach Parise? Huh, Peyt?" I asked, kiddingly, turning to Tegan, as she smirked at her friend.

"Yeah, what about that?" Tegan pressed, laughing slightly.

"Nothing... Just some kissing here and there," Peyton laughed, just as Zach, the senior, and star player of the SSM team waved to her.

"Oh my god!" I yelled, hitting my friend. "Thanks for telling me!"

"It's nothing big."

We all laughed then and started to gossip about the boys.

-------->
----->


"Jonathan, I swear to you! You will do amazing," I assured him, shaking his shoulders and smiling up at my best friend.

Today was the state tournament, championship game. They had to win this to move on to nationals.

"Thanks Mi, wish me luck," Jonny said, grabbing his addidas bag and opening the door of her dorm.

"Luck. Love you!"

"Love you too."

With that the door shut and I was left alone, hoping they would do good, like they always would.

Oh hockey gods. Let Jonathan score! I prayed.

And then and idea popped into my head.

I would make up a cheer for him.