Be My Metamorphosis

junior year. part three

Miles -

I glared at the letter in front of me. To tell the truth, I was scared out of my mind.

Jonathan and I were sitting at our favorite coffee shop that was about five minutes away from campus. The letter that laid on the table was from the University of North Dakota. We were ending our junior year in a month. But, we had applied for colleges early in the year.

Jonathan had already received a full blown scholarship to UND for hockey. We were all intimidated by Jon. Tegan, Peyton and myself were trying to get in as well.

"Come on," Jonathan said, trying to convince me to open the letter. "Mi, just open it already. I know that you know that you got in. Seriously, you are a flipping genius. Only a bunch of morons would be dumb enough to deny you from going into their college. Honestly."

Jon ran his fingers through his hair, looking up at me through his eyelashes. His dark brown eyes beat down on mine.

"Jon, really, you have to stop being so nice. I highly doubt that I got in. There are so many better people than me out there. With perfect grades, and skills that colleges actually look for. My application was crap, there were so many things things that I could have changed. There is no possible way that I got into UND," I rambled, pushing the envelope as far away from me as possible.

"Hey, stop being so hard on yourself," he said, reaching across the table and grabbing my trembling hands. Jonathan smiled a toothy smile. "If I got in, there is no possible way that you would have been left out."

I sighed, sipping my coffee.

"All right now, on the count of three you open it, or I do it for you."

"Bu-"

"One," he cut me off. I picked up the envelope from the table. "Two..." I ripped the thing open carefully. "And three," I pulled the thick cream colored paper out. I furrowed my brows, searching the fine text.

I held my breath.

"Well, what is it!" he whisper-yelled, his voice cracking from the nerves.

My eyes widened.

"I got in," I said quietly.

I was floored. I didn't believe it.

Jonathan stood up in front of the whole coffee shop and yelled, "SHE GOT INTO UND!!" he practically dove for me and picked me up in his strong arms. Jon and I twirled around the whole shop and the customers and workers clapped, hooted and smiled.

I looked at Jonathan and smiled, kissing his cheek softly.

I would be going to college with my best friend after all.

-------->
----->


"Heyhey!" Tegan squealed, running across the room to hug me.

"Hello there! What did your letter say?"

Tegan smiled, shoving a piece of paper in my face.

"YOU GOT IN!" I bellowed, hugging my friend tightly.

"Of course! I couldn't let you and Jon go alone now. And oh, Peyton said she wanted to talk to you, I think she's upset," Tegan said worriedly.

"Oh?" I walked out of the lounge and up to our dorm.

I knocked on the door, waiting to hear an okay from the other side.

I didn't. I took out my key and the door swung open.

"Hey, Peyt?" I called into the dorm, looking around.

"Here," the girl replied. I saw that she was sitting on her bed, in the room she shared with Tegan.

"What's up?"

"Come here."

My stomach flipped. Something had happened. What was it though? She didn't have a boyfriend right now, so that was out. Did something happen to her family? Or... She didn't make it into UND!

I about fainted.

"Oh Miles," Peyton cried, running over to hug me. I rubbed her back, and felt the tears already form in my eyes.

"I didn't..." she trailed off.

"You didn't make it in did you?" I asked, hugging her.

There was a long and silent pause.

"No you idiot! Of course I made it in. I was going to say that I didn't pick up our dresses yet, so we have to go do that, now come on!" She yelled pushing me away and went to grab her car keys.

"OH MY GOD! YOU ARE SO EVIL!" I cried, pushing her.

"I know that was so funny though!" Peyt laughed.

"Well thank god you made it in," I said, smiling at her.

"Mhm, but let's go, I want to go to prom!"

-------->
----->


I breathed in a long breath, and looked into the full length mirror.

I was wearing a blue dress with a bow in back, my golden hair was curled and down around my face, my side bangs looked perfect. I could hardly recognize myself.

I wasn’t the normal Miles; I hoped that Jonathan would approve. We were going to Prom as friends, seeing as we were not interested in anyone at the moment. I sat down on the beaten up couch we had shipped here from Tegan’s basement. I picked up my phone, receiving a text message. I opened it and laughed to myself.

Hey, how long do girls take to get ready? If you take any longer we are going to miss prom all together.

My fingers flew over the keyboard, texting him back, If you’d like to you can go with Caleb and Alex. :D

I said referring to the boys he shared a dorm with, also the ones that were accompanying Peyton and Tegan to the dance.

Soon my phone vibrated. Please, please never say that again! I’m scared for life. Just hurry up.

All right you baby, we’ll be done in like twenty, meet us in the lobby.

Already there babe, already there. Get a move on.


I looked up, feeling somebody was staring at me. Peyton stood there smirking, “So, what do you think?” she asked twirling around. Her hair was barley curled, and framed her face. She was sporting a gold dress, sequenced at the chest, and then a fabric gold band that flowed into the the rest of her dress.

“I love it, you look really beautiful, gonna knock Caleb out!” I said, winking and jumping up to hug her.

“Thank you, I’m glad you and Tegan helped me pick out the dress. Without you, I’d have nothing.” She looked around the room glancing at the clock. “Oh my god! Tegan! We are going to be late,” she called towards the bathroom.

Seconds later Tegan poked her head out of the bathroom door. “Like it?” she questioned. Tegan walked out of the bathroom, her long black hair rested on her shoulders. She looked stunning in her dark blue dress.

“Wow, you two are so pretty, let’s take some pictures,” I said happily as Peyton grabbed her small camera out of her gold clutch.

Fifteen minutes we emerged into the lobby. Jonathan’s hockey team had decided to rent a limo and go together. Boys and girls were buzzing around the lobby. Boys off the team greeted us, the ones with girlfriends smiled and told us how beautiful we looked.

Tegan and Peyton separated from me to great their boys.

I stood away from the crowd, trying to find my date, wherever he may be. I tapped my foot nervously, wondering what he would think when he saw me.

“Miles?” a familiar voice breathed.

I reacted slowly, as if this moment was in slow motion. I turned around to see my boy, grinning at me. I smiled sheepishly back, scratching the back of my head lightly. He was wearing black slacks and a white dress shirt tucked into his pants. His tie matched my dress perfectly, and his hair was slightly spiked up.

I had never seen my best friend look so breathtaking. He stood there for a moment taking in my presence before clearing his throat to talk. “Woah, you look amazing.”

I raised an eyebrow and hugged him. “You too bud, you too.”

We were the last ones to arrive, and the hockey team soon piled into the sleek black limo. Prom night was one of the funniest night’s of my life.

We danced the night away, Jonathan and I. I was so happy to have such a great best friend. It seemed like forever ago when we bumped into each other. Jonny had grown up a lot since that day. He was sure as confident and cocky as ever, but he was still the sweet little boy that helped me to Biology class.

The days I had left like this with Jonathan were certainly ticking down. He wouldn’t be my Jonny forever. I knew that he was going to take the world by storm, and ever single NHL fan would remember Jonathan Toews. He would go down as a hero in the hockey world.

The next day Jonathan and I sat below a tree, waiting until he had to leave to go to his hockey game.

“What’s on your mind?” he asked, his brown eyes probing mine. He looked the same as always, black slacks, nice shoes and an SSM sweatshirt on.

“Nothing really, just scared for the feature,” I told him, truthfully, sighing. Jonny grabbed my hand, holding it in his.

“Miles, no matter what happens I promise that you and I will always be together.”

I looked up at him and smiled. Fully believing in the words he was speaking.

“Of course, Jonny.”

“Forever and Always?” he said it in a questioning tone, raising an eyebrow.

“Forever and Always,” I confirmed, laughing as he started to tickle me. “Ah! No! J-Jonathan,” I cried.

“I’m gonna get you, Mi!” He said, laughing loudly and pulling me to the ground.

-------->
----->


“Ready for the game?” Peyton asked me, beaming. As she had been ever since the day Caleb asked her to be his girlfriend.

Today was the last game of the season for the boys. This year, they hadn’t made it to nationals. But it was no big deal for them, they always had next year.

“Of course!” I cried, as heads turned to look at us. This was normal for us, though. The three of us sported painted faces and pom poms, dressed in SSM gear and ready for our normal cheer.

Jonathan hated it, I loved it, so it stayed. Ever since Nationals Freshman year Shattuck has been singing this tune.

Jonathan and the rest of his team took the ice.

“On three,” Tegan warned. “One, two, three!”

“Hey Shattuck, what do you say? Toews is gonna score today! So clap your hands and turn around, ‘cause soon this puck is gonna go pound!” The stadium cheered loudly, I even saw a few teachers join in.

Jonathan caught my eye and for once smiled at this cheer. I smiled back.

“Please Hockey Gods, let Jonathan score.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry that this has taken so long to update, but if you really want another, comment:) Thank you.