I'm Not Okay Without You

Rushing To The Hospital

Chapter 32
Frank’s POV

When I woke up the next morning Gerard wasn’t there. Fearing the worst, I raced down stairs to see if he was in the kitchen. Well, Gee wasn’t there, but a note was,
Frank,
I went for a walk. There’s food in the fridge. I’ll be back in a few hours.
XOXO
-Gee
I sighed and leaned against the counter. He had to give me a heart attack because he wanted to go for a fucking walk? The phone began to ring. Hesitating for a moment, I spared a glance at the clock. 12:59. Damn, I woke up late.
“Hello?” I said groggily into the phone, rubbing my eyes.
“Oh my god, Frank, Gerard’s been shot,” Mikey’s worried voice practically screamed at me.
“What?!” I shouted, my tiredness suddenly disappearing.
“Yeah, I’m in the hospital right now. You should get down here.”
“Alright, I’ll be right there.” I ran up the stairs and hastily pulled on my Misfits jeans and a plain black tee shirt. Skipping shoes entirely, I grabbed the car keys and ran out of the house. It took a few tries for me to be able to actually put the keys in the ignition, as I was shaking so badly.
After what felt like hours I pulled up in front of the hospital. Not waiting for the car to stop all the way, I pulled the emergency break and yanked the keys out of the ignition, running into the hospital. The pavement hurt my feet a little, but my fear for Gerard’s life over-rode the pain. Upon entering, I immediately race to the front desk.
“I need to see Gerard Way,” I practically screamed at the woman behind the counter. She looked taken aback, but began typing something into her computer.
“Um… I’m sorry, but I don’t see a Gerard Way on the patients list…” she said timidly.
“What?! He was shot! You have to have him on rec—” I began to rant when someone cut me off.
“Frank!” someone screamed. I whirled around to see Mikey. He had tears streaming down his face and was leaning slightly out of one of the hospital rooms.
“Mikey!” I yelled, back, sprinting over to him and hugging him tightly, tears beginning to burn my own eyes. “How is he?” I whispered into his shoulder.
“He’s… he’s bad, Frankie. He’s real bad,” Mikey said through sobs.
“Hey,” I said, pulling back slightly to look Mikey in the eye. “Everything will be okay. I promise.” If only I felt as confident as I sounded. Mikes nodded, sniffling slightly. For the first time I glanced toward the hospital bed.
“Oh god,” I whispered, a tear sliding down my cheek. Gerard was pale, paler than usual. He had dark circles under his eyes. His head was turned to the side slightly, making it so he was facing away from the door. Mikey went back to the chair he’d been sitting in prior to my arrival. I took a seat across from him, gently taking Gerard’s hand in my own.
“Gerard,” I whispered, my voice breaking. “Sweetie,” I began again. “I…I need you to be okay. Please wake up.” He didn’t move. “G…Gerard…please,” I begged, feeling a few more tears slide down my cheeks. “I can’t live without you.” The tears were coming faster now and I fought to keep my breathing under control; fought to be the strong one.
“Mikey,” I said, forcing my voice to stay steady. “What happened? Tell the truth. Why the hell did he get shot?”
“C-cause,” he stuttered. “Cause he was trying to save me from…Ally…and… she shot him,” he whispered, not quite meeting my eyes.
“So that bitch shot Gee why?” I asked, growing angry again.
“So he would be out of the picture and…and she could be with you.”
“She’s a fucking psycho bitch,” I said.
“Gerard,” I whispered again, “I love you. Please… just wake up.” With those words I kissed him. It brought on more tears when his lips did nothing beneath mine.