I'm Not Okay Without You

My Imagination is Running Away with Me

Chapter 34
Frank’s POV

After a while of waiting, Mikey left. I don’t know where he went, but I refused to leave until he got back. Unfortunately for me, he didn’t get back fast enough, and I had to go to the bathroom. Reluctantly, I left Gerard alone and scurried to the bathroom. When I got back I saw that condescending fuck of a doctor and one of the nurses I’d spoken to numerous times. I think her name was Rachel or something.
“What are you doing here?” I growled.
“We’re taking him off life support,” the doctor said, as if it was the most normal thing in the world.
“Oh no you’re not. Were you going to let him kill Gerard?” I asked, fixing the nurse with a glare.
“No, I was trying to stop him,” she said, feigning innocence. After death glaring at her for another moment I turned back to the doctor.
“Can I be alone with him?” I asked the doctor through gritted teeth.
“Yes, but I think it’s for the best if we end it now,” he answered.
“I don’t remember asking for your opinion,” I snapped. He kind of shrugged and left.
“Gerard,” I whispered as soon as the door closed, grabbing his hand again. “I need you to wake up now. If you don’t the doctors are going to have you gone by tonight. I’ll kill myself if he does it, I swear to God. I will not lose you,” I said, closing my eyes and pressing my lips to his. Much to my surprise, his lips reacted under mine. I pulled back slowly, staring at him.
“Gerard are you up?” I asked, hope making my voice break slightly. He didn’t move, and I looked away, staring at the floor. My eyes burned and I felt a few tears slide down my face.
‘You really are losing it, hallucinating that Gerard woke up…’ I thought.
“Frankie,” I heard Gerard’s voice say from my right. My head turned automatically and I saw that Gerard’s eyes were open.
“Gerard, you’re up,” I breathed. “Thank God.” My lips found their way to his again. Then I heard the door open again. Reluctantly, I pulled away and turned toward the door.
“Frank you have to stop this. The doctors know what’s best,” Mikey said.
“Oh do they, Mikey?” I asked, not waiting for an answer. “If I would have let them take him off life support he wouldn’t be alive right now.” I glared at Mikey, gesturing toward the bed.
“Hey Mikey,” Gerard said. Mikes finally seemed to look past me and to Gee. He promptly ran over to his brother and hugged him, tears staining the front of Gee’s shirt.
“Mikey, it’s okay,” his brother said, rubbing his back in an attempt to sooth him. “Shhh…”
“Frank knew you would come out of this,” Mikes sobbed into Gerard’s chest. “I don’t know why I didn’t believe him.”
“Mikey, I would never leave you, or Frank, or the guys,” Gee assured him.
“Don’t ever do that,” Mikey continued to sob. Gerard smiled at that. “I’m sorry,” Mikey added, pulling away to look his brother in the eye.
“I’ll just, uh, go get the doctors then,” I said uncomfortably, rubbing the back of my head and stepping toward the door. Gee nodded as Mikes broke down again.
“Right,” I whispered, walking out of the room and toward the counter.