I'm Not Okay Without You

Need Attention

Chapter 35
Frank’s POV

It took forever to get someone to talk to me. I spent about ten minutes just trying to get a nurse’s attention.
“Excuse me, Miss?” I asked what must’ve been the thirtieth nurse to pass. Ignored; she kept walking.
“Oh, um, Ma’am?” I asked the next nurse that was walking in the opposite direction. Ignored again.
“Doctor?” I said to some guy in a white coat. Nope, he ignored me too. Damn.
“Sir, do you need some help?” a nurse with black curly hair asked me from behind the counter. She was peering over the top of her glasses at me, a clipboard and pen in hand.
“Oh, yeah. My, uh, friend was in a coma. He just woke up.” Her eyes lit up a bit.
“Oh, you mean Mr. Way?” she asked, surprised. “I thought they pulled the plug on him.”
“Yeah… they wanted to but I think I would’ve killed the doctor if he did,” I replied bitterly.
“Ah, yes, you must be the boyfriend. Dr. Olsen has told me so much about your conquest to keep Gerard alive. Personally, I think you were right. Don’t tell the doctor that, though.” I smiled slightly and nodded.
“Alright. Now, I’ll go get Dr. Olsen. You can go back to the waiting room if you want,” she said, smiling at me. I nodded again and turned back towards Gerard’s room. As soon as I turned around Mikey came out of the hospital room.
“Frank!” he said, jogging over to me. “Gerard wants to see you. He’s been really worried and something happened that made him—” Mikes was cut off by a scream coming from Gerard’s room. “…Scream,” Mikes finished. We both stared at the room for a moment before looking at each other. I was first to start running toward the room, weaving in between nurses that were too busy to keep an eye on my Gerard. Mikey followed me into the room, and not a second later Gerard’s doctor—Dr. Olsen—came into the room. There was another person in the room; a girl that was smiling at Gerard with malice and revenge in her eyes…
“Ally,” I growled, eyeing her murderously.
“Hello, Frankie-pooh,” she said, grinning.
“Don’t call me that,” I spat. “You better get the fuck out of here now or I swear to God I will kill you.”
“Oh, I’m scared,” she said, heading for the door. She walked over to me, whispering, “you can do whatever you like to me,” in the most seductive voice she could conjure. Then she pushed passed me, hitting her shoulder against mine, and walked out of the room. I glared after her for a moment before turning back to Gerard.
“Frankie,” Gee whispered, panting slightly. In a second I was by his side, holding his hand in mine.
“Yeah, Gerard,” I breathed, watching him intently.
“I love you,” he whispered. I opened my mouth to say it back, but he continued. “And no matter what happens to me, please take care of Mikey. He needs a brother no matter what.”
“Gerard, don’t start talking like that again,” Mikey said. Gerard’s breathing seemed more strained now. Gently, I put my hand to his cheek. His breathing slowed slightly.
“Gerard,” I began softly. “If you leave me you know I’m coming after you.” I smiled slightly. Gerard seemed less tense and began laughing. Finally Dr. Olsen spoke up, giving Gerard some pain medicine before leaving. Mikey and I stayed in Gerard’s room until about 9:30, but the nurses came and kicked us out—visiting hours were over. Reluctantly, I left, giving Gerard a kiss on the lips and putting his iPod on his nightstand.
The next morning I had to go with Mikey to tell Ray and Bob that Gerard was up before I could head to the hospital. They were both at Ray’s, so we went there and told them the exciting news. Both of them were really happy, but they said that unfortunately they had to do something [like I remember what] and couldn’t come see Gerard right away, but they would try to soon. That was fine with Mikes and me, and after talking for a little while we decided to leave. When I was hugging Bob bye he said something along the lines of, “Whoa, dude, when’s the last time you showered?” Everyone laughed and I blushed, deciding I’d have to take a shower before going to Gee’s room.
After stopping at home for a shower, I went to the hospital. When I got into Gerard’s hospital room he was listening to the iPod I brought him.
“Hey, babe,” I said, smiling.
“Hey. What’s up?” he replied, pulling the ear-buds out of his ears.
“Oh, nothing. I went and talked to the guys for a little while earlier. Sorry, I would’ve been here sooner but Bob told me I needed to shower,” I answered, blushing a bit but keeping the smile on my face.
“Ah, good old Bob,” Gee said, laughing too. “But I still love you, even if you smell like shit.” I replied by sticking my tongue out at him. He just laughed.