Maybe Fate Was Wrong

12

Ben stared straight ahead of him; Edward was driving rather quickly even though he didn’t know where he was meant to be going. But they had agreed on one thing. It had to be far away. He carried on driving, jerking the car occasionally, and hearing the frustrated and scared screams from the back of the car.

“Do you think we are far enough away now?” Ben uttered as they pulled into a gas station to fill up his car.

“Nearly.” Edward whispered, climbing out of the car and tapping the boot to shut the woman up. She stayed quiet as he sorted out the car and paid for the gas. He climbed back into the car and looked over at Ben. “You still haven’t told me the plan.” He said, not harshly but Ben could tell that Edward was annoyed with him.

“Just drive, there are a lot of people around.” Ben said, just above his natural voice, it was a habit now to talk at that volume, humans could never hear anything quieter than that.

“If this is going to affect my family, I have a right to know what the hell is going to happen, don’t I?” he shouted, Ben was still using a brick wall to protect his thoughts and Edward was loosing his temper.

“It’s not going to affect your family.” Ben shouted back, and he heard the woman screaming in the back of the car, she was scared of what the two men were going to do to her and Edward saw a desire to apologise to her daughter before anything happened. Edward sighed.

“She wants to apologise to Chloe.” Edward told Ben, he didn’t want there to be hostility between them.

“Well, it’s too late now.” Ben practically spat to Edward, then he sighed and opened the window, hoping to get some more air in the room, he wasn’t breathing but wanted to fiddle with something. “I’m taking her mother somewhere far away; scare her, so that she stays away from her daughter and I’ll stay away from you all so no one can link it to you. I’ll change my identity and come back when the girl is older, I won’t do anything to damage her. I just don’t want to leave her.” Ben said, his voice was full of emotion and Edward finally realised what was happening and laughed again.

“All this and you haven’t even met her yet.” He said again, his laugh resembled a bear and he heard the fear in the mother’s voice again.

“I’m sure you have said that before.” Ben told him, closing the window and pulling some sting out of his pocket so he could tie into knots.

“Yes, well it’s true. The world isn’t kind to monsters like us; we have to remind ourselves small things that make us smile, we have to make our own luck and we have to look after each other. That’s why we are a family, that’s why Carlisle wants to join us” Edward said, although Ben was distracted by the string.