Maybe Fate Was Wrong

2

In the hospital a girl screamed, tears, pain, joy, fear. She was giving birth to a baby girl and a reason to live, yes, the girl was only fifteen, and this baby was not her choice but she knew this baby already meant more then the world to her. The pain was unbelievable, like she was going to break open, she had no ones hand to hold, and this was just as painful. She was having a baby she should be at the high point of her life, but she wasn’t. How could she be? If the services didn’t take her away her mother would, and she couldn’t work out what was worst. Her mother would only beat her but she had no where to go, they lived in folks because no one else did, there was no escape and no one would suspect such a thing in a town where nothing happened. And it hadn’t happened in years.

The young doctor watched on from outside the room. In his experience, his hundreds of years of it, he knew something was wrong. A girl this age, no strength and no family, having a baby. She was nearly dying and there was nothing he could do. Not that he was prepared to. With his extended sight he could see he skin, bruised and broken, in places that normally could not be seen. His first thought was to ask Edward to come and read her mind, find out what was going on, this was wrong. But he couldn’t get too involved, but by now it was in his mind Edward would know.

The baby was taken away and Carlisle followed, for some reason he was strangely interested in this girl, something about her wasn’t right, this wasn’t the kind of thing that happened in this town. The girl seemed unconscious for a moment but was used to this after a few years of it, she was more concerned they had taken her baby, the one thing she feared and it was instantly coming true. Her hair was sticking to her face with the sweat but she didn’t have enough energy to move her hand, she was slipping unconscious again and couldn’t fight it, before she was taken she saw a nurse rush into the room.

By the time she had woken up she was attached to so many machines and drips she was scared to move, there was a single card on the table next to her and a cradle at the end of her bed. Her heart sped as she realised her baby was still there, looking around as her heart raced she saw what she was looking for, the doctors button. She struggled to push, still scared of pulling anything out of her, but the a doctor appeared at a door anyway, relief washed over her, as she signalled him to come in.

Carlisle walked into the room, easily able to do the night shift as he didn’t sleep. The girl had been trying to reach her button as he walked past and had succumb to his curiosity, she stared at him with thankful eyes.

“Sir, I don’t mean to waste time, but my baby, I cant get her and I haven’t seen her yet.” she whispered timidly, her fear was clear and he instantly saw his attraction to her. He was attracted to the weak, his natural desire to help them, and obviously she needed help, so weak she couldn’t move and so scared she could hardly talk, but what she said was thought out and sounded almost musical, odd for a human.

“You are not strong enough.” he said, clearly, his voice blank, not sure how to react to her, “But your mother sent you a card.” as soon as he said it he knew it was wrong, her heart and stopped and her fear could now be smelt. His fast mind searched for a way to calm her down. “you need your sleep.” his voice had not changed, still blank without emotion. “Your little girl will need you.” her face lit up of the mention of her daughter, who was just as wired up. Neither of them having been at all healthy, the child hardly alive, which was no surprise when he compared her to the mother who dipped in and out of consciousness.