Maybe Fate Was Wrong

3

It had been a long shift but soon Carlisle was on his way home, the drive would have been exhausting, but that was an emotion he would feel for mere seconds. The drive home didn’t last long, but time was something that was easy enough to forget with a mind like his, strong and now confused. His instincts had told him the girl was weak and yet he couldn’t see it.

He stepped out of his car and walked to the house, light and beautiful, the one place he could truly shine. As soon as he stepped through the door he smelt someone strange, he was about to ask when Alice was at his side, her face beamed behind its usual beauty.

“There’s someone like us, he only eats animals.” she told him, her voice musical. His fast mind carried on racing over the concept as Edward appeared in the room, his smile as lit up as his face.

“I heard you were home.” he said, a laugh escaping his lips, something that was now a common occurrence, even though his daughter had left to travel he was happy, him and Bella, the perfect couple.

As this was happening Ben was slightly departing the world, mentally. Not paying attention to anything but his thoughts of his troubled past he had travelled a complete circle. He arrived at a house that was made of mostly windows and started to panic, his unneeded breathing rose and he smelt the familiar smell. Vampires. Carlisle could smell it to, his first thought was his granddaughter as the family rushed outside and stood in a protective stance.

Edward, Bella and Alice relaxed knowing he was safe. Carlisle and Esmee followed pursuit recalling the earlier message of safety. Emmet, Jasper and Rosalie were not convinced standing still protective of the life they had come accustom to.

“I mean no harm.” Ben’s musical voice told them, remembering two of them and seeing the doctor in his uniform. “I am a doctor too, just I’m a little lost.” he told them. Carlisle was confused, never had he met someone with a strength that matched his own ability and yet here one was, in front of Edward who was not disagreeing with him. There was a silence that Ben broke. “Are you the Cullen’s?” he asked, voice nervous yet well held, the ability to hold ones voice was almost compulsory.

“Yes.” Alice sung. “Glad you finally arrived, you will fit in well here.” dancing over to him and hugging him, he wasn’t confused, standing there strongly. His knowledge of this family was extensive, like it was of most things. Edward smiling at him, knowing from Alice’s mind that everything would be okay. Bella and Rosalie glared, both too maternal not to feel protective of there home. Carlisle an Esmee looked at him, trusting their children as they knew they always should. Where as Jasper and Emmet stood at the back, protective and natural fighters, not trusting anyone who just turned up, whatever other said.

It was just as Ben had imagined. Perfection.