Maybe Fate Was Wrong

4

After everyone was convinced Ben was safe and would not threat their way of life he rambled about the one thing that had driven him on his confusing journey to find this family.

“I don’t want to be alone any more.” he confessed already knowing of Edwards powers, he didn’t see the point in lying. “I don’t eat humans.” he started, but suddenly he felt the strange urge to confess everything, every little emotion that had made him search for this family. “A friend told me about you. You don’t eat humans. You have amazing powers. You have a family. Almost a proper blood family. I was fascinated. Then I found out you were a doctor. I was even more intensely fascinated.” he paused for the first time. “I thought I may be the only one.”

Carlisle was becoming fascinated as well, he trusted Edward to see through any lies and Alice had already seen a good future. Although Carlisle seemed to see it as a good thing Edward was not convinced, he hadn’t been convinced any person was good since his daughter had been born. Ben realised this and acknowledge that it didn’t help that he had already fooled Edward once. Ben heard a strong laugh behind him and saw Carlisle roll his eyes.

“You didn’t fool ME of anything, as I read your mind you were talking of other vampires, I only assumed you didn’t know anything about us, you weren’t intentionally searching for us when we found you. It was only when you saw all of us you realised who we were. You were too scared to fool me anyway.” Edward said from behind him, there was a self assurance there that only became apparent every now and then, just like his teenagers words, they were becoming apparent now.

“Did you say you are a doctor?” Carlisle asked, Ben nodded shyly. Since he had first turned he had trained, staying away from humans until he knew he could control himself, but since then he had been transferring between hospitals doing temporary work so that he didn’t have to make permanent connections to anyone. “Do you struggle, I mean with the temptation, or with seeing people so helpless?” he asked, Edward could sense the conversational would be emotional and stood just outside the door where he could still hear the conversation and the reactions to it. He would be there for Carlisle.

“Sometimes, but I can control it, I would never hurt a human, and although I am a doctor I do not think I have the strength to turn one.” he was telling the truth.

“I struggled at first, and sometimes, I want to give people another chance at life, but I don’t.” his mind wandered to a girl, she was young, was laying in a hospital bed. There was a baby, but then it got hazy as Ben spoke.

Carlisle caught his thoughts, the girl was still lodged in his mind, but she faded away as quick as she had entered.

“You have a big family here.” Ben said, his voice hollow, almost sounding ashamed. Edward heard him think about how lonely he felt, and how low asking for a home made him feel.

“When you collect this many you have to look after each other.” Carlisle said back. “We all have our moments but we always come back to each other.” Carlisle sighed and walked away without giving a reason. He walked away from Edward, from the rest of his family and into the forest surrounding them and ran, just ran, not knowing where or why he ran.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?