Maybe Fate Was Wrong

6

Vampires say that every vampire will have at least one bad day every year, Carlisle was a different kettle of fish. He hadn’t had one since he had first been transformed. However he had had a lot lately, he was hiding in a cave, dark gloomy and stereotypically vampire.

Edward, the only one who knew where he was, although Ben had a good idea, had been visiting him every few hours, even when Carlisle was "asleep". He wanted to make sure his father was ok, and he wasn’t shouting as much anymore, which was a blessing.

Carlisle didn’t go back to his house for a week.

During this week Ben had been doing his shifts at the hospital, under Edwards supervision. They both felt that they had become good friends. Edward made sure that they had stayed away from the girl that Carlisle had been so tempted by and nothing bad had happened. Alice had given them the ok every night and Edward listened out for any thoughts that he deemed risky.

The whole idea was risky but it is what Carlisle had asked. Carlisle. The one who so wanted to prove that this guy wasn’t a bad guy. In his mind, Edward had saw that this was his call of faith. If Ben could survive this then maybe they weren’t such bad guys after all. It was foolish and stupid. But he trusted his family. And that had been a blind spot for a while.

Ben and Edward sighed, then grinned at each other. They had just got back from the shift when Edward heard a voice that he hadn’t heard in a while. It was the giggle of a small girl, a small girl who he had missed insanely. He ran into the room, Ben followed but stopped when his nose his the scent of dog.

Renesmee grinned at her father, then glared at the stranger. Ben noticed her eyes first, they were exactly like her mothers, it was almost spooky. Her facial shape was like her father and her hair would have been if it wasn’t so curly. Edward had told him that she was nearly 100 years old, however she didn’t look as if she was more then 20.

Edward grinned at him, he was emotional now his daughter was home, but he was also thankful of his friends response. Most peoples thoughts had been lustful about his daughter, but here was a lonely man who was instead thinking she was beautiful and a credit to her parents.

“This is Ben, he is helping us not that Carlisle is having his bad days.” he told his daughter. She looked puzzled as they walked off together, using their powers to silently converse with each other.

Bella grinned at Ben, he could see the pride in her eyes as she watched her daughter and her husband. The dog had gone, understanding that she wanted to have some time to be alone with her father.

*

Carlisle looked up at the sound of footsteps and the smell of wet dog. Jacob stood there, snarling at him. When they realised who each other were they both relaxed, and they spoke as if they weren’t natural enemies, the spoke about the travelling, about nice old rainy Forks and how nice it was to have someone to talk to that wasn’t their kind.