Life's a Bitch, But Love is Hell

Meeting and... Not So Greeting

You walked through a small town by the sea after buying some grain and a loaf of bread and some apples. You started humming to yourself while walking through the town taking a look at all the neat little things they had, “This town is so cute… if only I had enough money to live here… but no I’m a wonderer…” you muttered to yourself. You had a tendency to talk to yourself seeing as you had been by yourself the last 6 years all your social skills had vanished. You didn’t know how to react around people when you met them.

You walked past a stand which had water melons on it, the owner looked away for a moment and you swiftly picked on up and walked around the corner before the man could see.

You started humming once again as you walked besides the ocean heading out towards the forest to meet Kara. You saw that a Fire nation ship had docked nearby, you were shocked. Some people on the ship got off and you walked back into town hoping that you could avoid any dispute from them if they recognized you, or thought you were trouble in anyway.

-Zuko’s POV-
Before we headed to the South Pole to find the Avatar my uncle said that we needed to stock up on supplies for the ship ready for the cold atmosphere. This wasn’t my idea… why the heck did we have to come? We had all the supplies we needed!

“Come on Prince Zuko, are you going to explore the town with me?” Uncle Iroh asked, “Fine.” I snapped and walked off the ship. As we stepped off the ship some of the guards headed into the town to buy some things we apparently needed.

My uncle and me walked around the town until I heard something soft, I looked around for the voice that was calling me in. It sounded so mesmerizing; I looked to my right at a young woman who was walking down the street caring a watermelon in one hand and two bags in the other. For some reason, I was drawn to her; I never even realized I was following until we exited the town.

~Xia’s POV~
You walked out of the town and into the forest still humming to yourself as you stopped by a rock and put your bags down and the watermelon on top of the rock. “Kara!” I called, suddenly from behind you Kara flew down onto your shoulder, “There you are silly girl. I told you to wait on the rock… but here… it’s all I could get… you know being sort on money with all the traveling…” you swooped up a handful of grain and sat on the rock while eating an apple with Kara eating the grain.

You smiled at her as she squawked; you could tell something was up with her call. She had distinct calls. This one was telling you someone was watching. “Where?” you asked her, she looked at you tilting her head a little, “Where?” you asked again. You put your hand in the air after she eaten, “Find them.” You said and she taken off behind you where she flew behind a tree.

“Ouch! Stupid bird! Get off!” you heard a males voice yell, you grabbed your things and ran around the tree to find Kara attacking a boy about your age wearing the Fire Nation armor. “Kara! Return!” you said and held your right arm out as she stopped attacking the boy and landed.

“Why are you following me?” you asked, the boy looked at you full on, his left eye was scared horribly, you gasped a little as he glared at you, “Who are you?” you asked, the boy didn’t reply. You picked up your stuff as Kara started to squawk manically, “Kara! What’s wrong?” you asked, she flew off as a man jumped out of nowhere and grabbed you.

“You’re a pretty girl aren’t you?” the man smirked as others appeared, “Let her go!” the boy snapped, “Sorry but we don’t take orders from anybody.” The man holding you said, the boy attacked the two who weren’t holding you. “Kara! Mad man!” you yelled. The guy holding you was confused as Kara attacked the man holding you making him let go. You pulled out your two blades from behind and trapped the man by his throat against a tree. “Tell your men to leave or your head rolls…” you stated, you were very serious at this time. You had killed one person before, but you only ever kill people if they attack you first, and he did.

The man smirked, “you wouldn’t dare.” He said, you put the blades closer to his throat, “Try me…” you replied, the blade touched his skin, “I wouldn’t suggest moving, one false move and your head will come clean off.” You smirked, “Men, get out of here!” the guy yelled, “What? Oh…” his two friends looked at the position he was in. “Now you get out of here… unless you want to die…” you said and removed one blade from his neck so he could move to the left of you and run off, Kara landed on your shoulder and squawked at them.

You looked back at the boy from before, “Erm… thanks…” you said, he didn’t say anything but just walked past you. “Hey!” you said and ran after him, “You follow me up here, you don’t answer my question, and then you help me with those goons and now your walking off? Who the heck are you?” you asked, Kara was flying ahead as he just carried on walking forward.

You went and grabbed your stuff then followed him again, “So… are you going to answer my question?” you asked, the boy didn’t. You glared at him a little as an old man ran up to you two as you came back into town, “Prince Zuko, there you are I was getting worried. Who’s this beautiful young lady?” the man asked, you smiled sheepishly, “I’m not gonna bother saying my name because the BOY here hasn’t said anything to me…” you glared at him, he glared at you. “Well I’m Iroh, feel free to call me uncle Iroh.” Iroh introduced himself.

You smiled at him as Kara landed on your shoulder, “That is a beautiful eagle you have there.” Iroh said, “Yea, her names Kara… as Prince Zuko here knows… wait… Prince!” you said and looked at the boy. “Yes, this is Prince Zuko.” Iroh said, “Erm…” you said and covered your mouth, Iroh looked at you confused, your cheeks tinged pink a little. “Sorry, it’s just been so long since I’ve actually spoken to people I don’t even know what to do any more…” you waved your hands in front of you.

“Where do you live young lady?” Iroh asked, “I don’t live anywhere…” you replied, that even caught Zuko’s attention as he looked at you. “You don’t have a home?” Iroh asked, you shook your head as Kara squawked, “But I don’t really need one because Kara here keeps me company on my travels.” You smiled.

You walked on with Iroh as you stopped by their ship, “Well it was a pleasure to meet you Iroh.” You smiled, “Yes. It was a pleasure to meet a fine woman like yourself. But, an idea came to me as we were walking. Why don’t you travel with us? It would be great!” Iroh smiled, you smiled sheepishly, “I couldn’t possibly…” you put your hand behind your head. “Oh, but you must… and tell me, while my nephew isn’t here… what is your name?” Iroh asked, “Oh… it’s Xia Tu Jacynth. But people have been known to call me Jack back in my village town because of how weird my name is…” you explained, “Sure, come on then Jack, you must join our voyage.” Iroh said, you were unsure what of to do but then decided that it would be better then running out of money in a few weeks time and having to work again.

“Sure!” you smiled.

Once on board Iroh helped you find a room and then helped you settle in with Kara. “Just to let you know we’re heading to the South Pole so we can catch the Avatar.” Iroh said, “Avatar? But isn’t he supposed to be dead? And why are you after him?” you asked, Iroh sighed and closed the door sitting on the chair next to your bed telling you the story about Zuko’s past.

“So… in order for Zuko to return he has to capture the Avatar… so it’s all about his pride…” you said, Iroh nodded. “Maybe I should try and be nice to him…” you made yourself a mental note.

You and Iroh went up on deck as Zuko was standing at the front of the ship. You watched him as he looked out into the ocean. Most of the guards were weary of you because of your weapons. Kara flew in the sky then landed on the side next to Zuko. You sighed a little, “How long is it going to take to get to the South Pole?” you asked, “It shouldn’t take too long, and maybe you could keep Zuko company,” Iroh pushed you forward and when you looked back he was walking in the ship’s main hatch again.

You raised an eyebrow then sighed turning back towards Zuko and making your way over to him. Zuko looked at you from the corner of his eye then looked back forward, your eye twitched.

~Be… nice… must… be… nice... even if it kills me~

“So… South Pole huh?” you asked, Zuko didn’t reply, “Are you ever going to speak to me?” you asked, no reply. Your eye started to twitch badly as Zuko looked out into the ocean. “I try to be nice and this is what I get…” you muttered. Zuko looked at you again from the corner of his eye. You looked out into the ocean and it felt calming, the breeze was nice too. You started to hum again as Zuko looked at you fully. You noticed this but kept on humming.

~Maybe that’s why he followed me… my singing? It isn’t that good~

When you stopped you saw a small smile on Zuko’s face, you taken your chance, “You smiled!” you pointed at him, Zuko didn’t reply but put his look on that he had before. You smacked your forehead; “STUBBORN!” you yelled in his ear and ran off. He did react to that, as your voice was very loud.