Life's a Bitch, But Love is Hell

The Siege of the North

About two weeks later you were coming up on the Northern Water Tribe. “This will be one for the history books General Iroh, just think. Centuries from now, they will study the great Admiral Zhao who destroyed the last of the Water Tribe civilization, you two are lucky you’re here to see it.” Zhao had his hands on your hips. He had been getting even more touchy feely since the journey began to the North Pole and you hated every minute. “Be careful what you wish for Admiral. History is not always kind to its subjects,” Iroh spoke, “I suppose you speak from experience, but rest assured this will be nothing like your legendary failure at Ba Sing Se.” Zhao emphasized the word failure just to get at Iroh, Zhao pushed your towards the rails and stood behind you with his hands on the rails. “I hope not, for your sake.” Iroh replied, “Tell the captains to prepare for first strike.” Zhao smirked.

As Iroh walked off Zhao leaned forwards so his mouth was level with your ear, “Soon we’ll destroy the whole Water Tribe and then we can start our lives together.” Zhao smirked, you cringed as his hand wrapped around your waist and he kissed your neck, you taken in a breath quickly and gritted your teeth, you hated this now. You were getting more afraid each day of Zhao thinking that one day he might go too far.

-Zuko’s POV-
“We’ll be landing soon, do you have a plan?” My uncle asked me, “I’m working on it uncle.” I replied, “What about Xia?” I asked, “you won’t like it if I told you Prince Zuko, so I better not so you can focus more on this plan then anything else.” My uncle explained then walked off.

~Xia’s POV~
The first attack was made on the Northern Water Tribe. You watched all the fireballs sent forward. The first ship was stopped and destroyed.

Night was coming and the attack was still going. “It’s almost twilight Admiral as your military consultant I must advise you to hold your attack, the water benders draw their power from the moon, and it is nearly full tonight, you should wait and resume the attack at daybreak.” Iroh explained, Zhao had his hand around your waist as he looked back towards Iroh, “Oh I’m well aware of the moon problem and I am working on a solution, but for now daybreak it is.” Zhao said.

All the ships stopped, for the night you were standing on the main deck when Iroh walked up behind you. You looked at him, he smiled a little at you, “How are you?” he asked, “I could be better…” you replied, “I’m just about to see my nephew off, you should come quickly.” Iroh said, you nodded and followed him down the corridors to where Zuko was.

Iroh opened the door and you saw Zuko was dressed in white; Iroh closed the door, “If you’re fishing for an octopus my nephew you need a tightly woven net or he will squeeze through the tiniest hole and escape.” Iroh said, “I don’t need your wisdom right now uncle.” Zuko sounded a little upset, “What about a hug?” you asked, Zuko quickly looked round, you two hadn’t spoken or seen each other since the voyage began, you smiled at him and ran over to Zuko giving him a warm hug. “I’m sorry I just nagging you because, well… every since I lost my son,” Iroh sounded weak, “Uncle, you don’t have to say it.” Zuko said, “I think of you as my own,” Iroh said, you stepped back from Zuko as they faced each other, “I know Uncle. We’ll meet again.” Zuko replied; Iroh hugged Zuko, “after I have the Avatar.” Zuko looked at you.

“I’ll see you yea…” you smiled, “Promise.” Zuko smiled at you, you looked away but a finger lifted your chin and soft lips hit your own, before you could kiss back Zuko pulled away and stepped in the boat.

“Remember your breath of fire it could save your life out there.” Iroh said, “I will.” Zuko said, “And put your hood up, keep your ears warm.” Iroh called, “I’ll be fine.” Zuko replied, “Stay strong,” you said, Zuko looked up at both of you and smiled as the boat landed on the sea. You walked back and then out of the room.

All night you were sitting in your room worried about Zuko, you touched your lips and closed your eyes wanting Zuko to be back in your arms so you could kiss him once again. You opened your eyes and sighed, “Be careful Zuko, please… I love you… and I won’t be able to survive in this world without you… please.” You put your hands together and lay down on your bed.

Daybreak came and you were standing next to Zhao, “It’s daybreak at last, let’s write history.” He smirked. You felt his arm wrap around your waist, your temper had come back.

“The Water Tribe can try to resist the inevitable, but their city will fall today.” Zhao smirked, you watched in horror as all the Fire Nation ships finally arrived at the Northern Water Tribes edge and started to destroy their home, and you closed your eyes wanting this war to end.

“I don’t need to remind you we have a time limit, if we don’t defeat the Water Tribe before the full moon rises they will be undefeatable.” Iroh said, you were standing behind the two of them, “I assure you, I have everything under control, I intend to remove the moon as a factor.” Zhao explained, “Remove the moon? How?” Iroh asked.

“Admiral Joy, prepare to meet your fate.” You looked back at an old fashioned dressed Water Tribe kid, who was full of himself, by the way he was so dramatic. You rolled your eyes, “Xia get rid of him for me.” Zhao said, you smirked and pulled out your two blades. The man charged at you, he was really off balance. You stepped to the left put your foot out and he tripped up and over the rail falling down into the ocean. “Good work my little body guard, you were a great choice.” Zhao smirked at you.

“Go and great ready to leave the ship please. I’ll meet you down there.” Zhao said, you bowed and turned around leaving.

You readied a group of men to leave with you and Zhao with some rhinos to get to where he wanted to go.

Later on, you all set off. Night come as you set off, “We’ll be following this map to a very special location, and when we get their we’re going fishing.” Zhao smirked, you looked at him then realised what he was on about.

The moon and ocean spirits. Your father use to tell you stories about the Water Tribe when you were younger, and this was one of your favourites.

You all got to a small oasis. You were boiling hot, you blown your fringe up and taken your cloak off throwing on the floor. You saw Zhao grab the white fish of the two from the pond, he put it in the bag as the whole world around you turned red, you felt a little weak, as you couldn’t water bend any longer. You knew what he was up to known, “Put that spirit back!” you yelled, “Are you betraying me Xia?” Zhao asked, “To save the world then yes.” You replied, you pulled out your small dagger to cut the bag loose.

You ran at Zhao, he blocked your attack by grabbing your wrist, “I am far more stronger then you little girl, don’t think you stand a chance against me Xia.” Zhao snapped, he thrown you back then sent a fireball towards you, it hit your left shoulder, and you screamed out falling back on the ground in pain.

“I’m such a legend now. The Fire Nation will for generations tell stories about the great Zhao, who darkened the moon; they will call me Zhao the Conqueror, Zhao the Moon Slayer.” Zhao explained, you sent a fireball at him, he blocked it and hit you with another one in your stomach, “Do you want to die painfully or quickly?” Zhao asked, then Aang’s lemur appeared out of nowhere and attacked Zhao, you stood up and limbed away but two guards grabbed you and thrown you in another direction, Zhao got the lemur off and hit you again. You screamed and fell on the ground burning horribly.

You looked up and saw the Avatar and his friends. You fell on your back and held your shoulder. You didn’t pay attention to what the others were saying; you tried to control your breathing so you could control the pain. You winced and sat up then a hand covered your mouth and picked you up, you looked at Zuko. You smiled as he carried you to safety away from everyone as the world went grey, “Who did this to you?” Zuko asked, you winced as he sat you down against the wall, “When I found out Zhao was going to kill the moon spirit I tried to stop him, then this happened.” You explained, Zuko cupped your cheek, “You shouldn’t have done that…” Zuko said, “I wanted to…” you smiled at him, “Just set me by the water and I’ll see if I can heal myself…” you explained, Zuko nodded and jumped down with you.

Zuko cupped some water in his hands and you put your burnt hand in it, nothing happened. “It must be because of the moon spirit,” you said, then you saw Zhao, “Zhao…” you glared, Zuko looked up. “Stay here,” Zuko said, “No way! I’m coming with… my arms may be hurt but my legs aren’t” you snapped, Zuko sighed, “Fine…” he said as you both chased after him.

You both caught up and Zuko sent a blast at Zhao, he looked back and saw you with Zuko. “Your alive?” Zhao asked, “You tried to have me killed!” Zuko attacked Zhao again. “Yes, I did, you two are the blue spirits enemies of the Fire Nation, and you both freed the Avatar.” Zhao explained, “I had no choice.” Zuko kicked the air sending fire towards Zhao.

“You should have chosen to accept your failure, your disgrace then at least you could have lived with your girlfriend.” Zhao said, as they both started to fight. Zuko sent him over the edge and you followed.

The moon returned in the sky, you were distracted from the fight for one moment when someone grabbed you and wrapped their arm around your neck and held your arms in place. “No!” Zuko yelled, “Try anything and she’s dead!” Zhao smirked, “You know Zuko, these last two weeks have been fun with Xia, I’ve loved holding her and having to watch her resist the urge to attack or she wouldn’t be here right now.” Zhao grabbed your burnt shoulder you screamed out in pain and tears stung your eyes. “Let her go.” Zuko growled.

A shadow over come you both, a blue, light blue hand grabbed you and Zhao, “Zuko!” you yelled, “Grab my hand!” he called, you tried to reach out to him but Zhao pulled your hand back, “No!” Zuko reached down over the bridge, “Zuko!” you screamed. The blue force pulled you underwater, you felt your wounds heal and then you were let go but Zhao disappeared, “No!” you heard Zuko above the water.

Your head popped back up and you looked up at him, “Zuko!” you yelled, Zuko looked at you shocked as you grinned. “Guess the moon spirit wanted revenge,” you said, Zuko smiled and jumped down to the ground as your pulled yourself out of the water. Zuko pulled you into an embrace and sat down against the wall, you put your head on his chest and smiled, “Never scare me like that again…” Zuko whispered, “Promise.” You replied.

~FF~
You, Zuko and Iroh were on a small raft together, “I’m surprised Zuko, surprised your not trying to capture the Avatar.” Iroh said, “I’m tired,” Zuko replied, you put your hand on his shoulder, “Then you should rest.” You smiled, Zuko looked back at you with a small smile. He lay down on the raft but pulled you with him, as he closed his eyes. You smiled down at Zuko and cupped his cheek, “rest well… my love.” You smiled; Zuko wrapped his arm around your waist as you saw a small smile on his lips. You kissed him gently and then put your head on his chest. You kept each other warm as you fell asleep listening to the waves of the sea.