Life's a Bitch, But Love is Hell

Alone

You were holding onto Zuko still riding on that stupid osterige horse for some time now, your stomach was rumbling and you felt a little weak. You had your arms around Zuko’s waist and your head on his shoulder as you both rode forward.

You become more awake as you started to walk across on an unsteady bridge. “Zuko, I don’t think this is safe…” you muttered as the osterige’s foot fell through a panel in the bridge, you yelped a little as Zuko held your hands around his waist and controlled the osterige horse until he pulled his leg back out and continued forward.

Later on your both could smell meat, you looked down at a couple sitting by a river. You saw the woman was pregnant as Zuko reached for his sword but you grabbed his hand, “No… look at his wife…” you pointed out, Zuko let go of his swords and carried on forward.

You were coming up on a field which had loads of Earth Kingdom discs stuck in the ground, you were wide awake as Zuko pulled out the water, “Here…” he passed it to you, “I’m fine Zuko honest. You need it.” You pushed his hand away; “I’m not much of a boyfriend if I didn’t give you the last drop.” Zuko explained, “I’m not much of a girlfriend if I don’t share it out.” You explained and pulled the remaining drops of water out using your bending.

You split it in two and gave it to Zuko; you drank the last of it and wrapped your arms around Zuko again. You were boiling hot as the sun was beating down on you fiercely, you could see Zuko was tired, “Zuko… let me sit up front for a while…” you said, “No…” Zuko replied, “Zuko… your tired, don’t make me yell because I don’t have the energy.” You snapped, Zuko looked back at you and sighed.

After switching seats you let Zuko rest his head on your shoulder from behind, you held on to the reins, as he was asleep.

You stopped later on in front of a town.

Zuko sat up front again as you both rode inside. When you stopped by a merchant Zuko jumped off and you jumped off a moment later and walked over to Zuko, you held onto his arm, “Could I get some water, a bag of feed and something hot to eat for me and my girlfriend?” Zuko asked and shown the man his money, “Not enough here for a hot meal.” The merchant said, “I could get you two bags of feed.” The merchant added.

You saw two kids around the corner of the counter, one of them laughed a little as the other thrown an egg at the four Earth Soldiers behind you. “Ow!” one of them yelled. You looked back and cringed as they all looked at you, “Hey! You throwing eggs at us stranger?” the leader asked, “No.” Zuko replied, “You two see who did throw it?” he asked, “No.” Zuko turned around and held the hilt to his sword.

“Is that your favourite word, no?” another guard asked, “The egg had to come from somewhere…” the leader said, Zuko turned back around as you taken a small step back, “Maybe a chicken flew over.” Zuko replied, one guy laughed as the leader looked annoyed.

The merchant came back with the feed and put it on the table. Zuko went to grab it but one of the soldiers grabbed it and the leader grabbed you, “Thanks for your contribution, I’ll also be taking your girlfriend to pay off what you just did also.” The leader smirked, “Let her go.” Zuko grabbed the hilt of his sword, “What can you do?” the leader smirked and grabbed your chin, “We’ll have some fun later girlie.” The leader smirked.

You saw a barrel of water, “Unless you want to be hurt then keep a hold…” you snapped, “What can a weak little girl like you do?” the soldier smirked, “Don’t call me weak.” You snapped, you used your free arm to bend the water and pushed the guy off of you.

“I suggest you leave me alone,” you snapped, “You two better leave town, penalty for staying is a lot more then you two can afford strangers. Trust me.” The soldier glared at you two and patted his hammer. When he walked off you sighed and closed your eyes, “Why does that always happen to me?” you muttered, “Because your beautiful.” Zuko replied, you smiled at him as he taken your hand walking over to your ride.

“Thanks for not ratting me out.” A boys head popped up as Zuko got on the Osterige. You got on after and Zuko rode forward, “I’ll take you to my house and feed your Osterige horse for you?” the boy held onto the reins, “Come on I owe you.” The boy didn’t give you both much choice as he pulled you down the street.

You all walked together into a small farm just outside the town. You looked around at all the pigs and cows that were surrounding the area, you hugged yourself. “Just like home…” you muttered, Zuko put his arm around your waist and pulled you towards him, “No one can ever sneak up on us.” The boy smiled, “No kidding.” Zuko replied.

You both stopped as the boys father walked up to you two, “You a friend of Lee’s?” he asked, “These two just stood up to the soldiers, by the end they practically had them running away.” Lee smiled; you smiled at the boy for exaggerating the story a little. “Do these two have names?” Lee’s mother walked up, “We’re… uh…” Zuko started, “They don’t have to say who they are if they don’t want to Celia. Anyone who can hold their own against those bully soldiers is welcome here, those men should be ashamed to wear Earth Kingdom uniforms.” The father explained.

“The real soldiers are off fighting the war. Like Lee’s big brother Sensu. Suppers going to be ready soon, would you like to stay?” Celia asked, you looked at Zuko, “We can’t. We should be moving on.” Zuko replied, “Gonzu could use some help on the barn, why don’t you two work for a while and then we’ll eat.” Celia suggested, “I could help you cook.” You smiled a little, “That would be nice.” Celia smiled, “Go on.” You smiled and kissed Zuko’s cheek.

You were cooking with Celia when she started convocation, “Lee told me you can water bend…” Celia smiled, “Yes, my father was from the Southern Water Tribe.” You smiled, “Did he teach you?” Celia asked, “Yes, and no… my father was killed by the Fire Nation when I was younger… I don’t really like speaking about it that much any more because it wasn’t the best time of my life after…” you stopped, “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have asked.” Celia said, “I don’t mind, so don’t feel bad.” You smiled.

Later that night you and Zuko were laying down on the stack of hay in the barn. You just lay there thinking, about your father. You sighed to yourself then sat up, “Can’t sleep?” you looked back at Zuko, “No…” you replied, “What’s wrong?” Zuko asked, “Nothing. Go back to sleep.” You turned away from Zuko and closed your eyes.

“You can tell me anything…” Zuko wrapped his arm around your waist, “Just thinking,” you replied, “About what?” Zuko asked, “The day my father was murdered…” you whispered. Zuko’s grip around your waist tightened as a tear slipped down you cheek, “Did I ever tell you that I saw him die?” you asked, Zuko sat up, “I thought you said my father killed him.” Zuko said, “He did, and I was forced to watch with my mother.” You replied, a terrible scream of pain filled your mind; it was your father’s voice.

You had a few tears leak out as Zuko pulled you towards him in a warm embrace, “I’m sorry…” he said, “It wasn’t your fault so don’t say sorry. You didn’t kill him.” You replied, soon enough you two fell asleep in each other’s arms.

You woke up next morning bright and early before Zuko did, you smiled down at him, as he looked peaceful, you leaned over him and pecked him on the lips. As you were about to pull away a hand pulled you back down and you two kissed again. You pulled back and looked at Zuko as he smiled up at you, “Morning…” you said.

You two both got ready to leave and jumped on your osterige horse. “Here, this ought to get you two through a few meals.” Celia handed Zuko a box.

You all looked forward as the four Earth Kingdom soldiers came riding forward. “What do you think they want?” Gonzu asked, “Trouble…” Zuko replied. They stopped a while away and Gonzu stepped forward, “What do you want Gou?” Gonzu asked, “Just thought someone ought to tell you your sons platoon got captured.” Gou the leader explained, “You boys heard what the Fire Nation did with the last group of Earth Kingdom prisoners.” Gou asked, “Dressed them up in Fire Nation uniforms and put them on the front line unarmed, way I heard it. Then they just watched.” One guy spat on the floor, “You watch your mouth!” Gonzu pointed at the man.

As Gou rode forward Zuko pulled up in front of Gou, you glared at Gou, “Why bother hooting around in the mud with these pigs.” Gou snapped then rod off.

“What’s going to happen to my brother?” Lee asked, “I’m going to the front. I’m going to find Sensu and bring him back.” Gonzu explained. Lee ran up to you both as his parents went back into the house. “If my dad goes, will you two stay?” Lee asked, “We can’t…” you replied, “Here, I want you to have this. Read the inscription.” Zuko pulled out something; it was a small dagger, “made in Earth Kingdom.” Lee said, you were confused, “The other one…” Zuko said, “Never give up without a fight.” Lee spoke; just then you two rode off.

“Where did you get that?” you asked, “My uncle sent it to me when I was younger and he was in the war.” Zuko explained, “Oh…” you replied and wrapped your arms around Zuko’s waist.

You both stopped by a river, you filled up the water pouch with clean water and put it back on the osterige horse, “Azula always lies…” you heard Zuko, “What?” you asked, “Sorry… just thinking…” Zuko replied, “About what?” you asked, “Stuff…” Zuko sat up, “You know you can tell me if you want…” you sat in front of him.

Zuko was just about to speak when Celia pulled up on her horse and cart. “You have to help, its Lee the thugs from town came back as soon as Gonzu left when they orders us to give them food Lee pulled a knife on them. I don’t even know where he got a knife, then they took him away they told me if he’s old enough to fight he’s old enough to join the army I know we barely know you but…” Celia started to cry, you stood up and walked over to her to comfort her. “We’ll get your son back.” Zuko stood up, you smiled and nodded.

You two rode in that sunset and saw the thugs sitting with Lee tied up to a post. “Hey, there they are! I told you they’d come!” Lee smiled.

You two both got off the osterige horse and stepped forward, “Let the kid go.” Zuko said, Gou laughed, “Who do you think you are? Telling us what to do.” Gou snapped, “Doesn’t matter who we are, but we know who you are. Your not soldiers, your bullies, freeloaders abusing your power. Mostly over women and kids you don’t want Lee in your army your sick cowards messing with a family who have already lost one son to the war.” Zuko explained, “Are you going to let these strangers stand there and insult you like this?” Gou asked one of his men.

That man came at Zuko, Zuko stepped back and pulled out his sword hitting the man in the stomach with the hilt. The man went flying back then ran away. The next man come along and you stepped forward, knocking his spear out of the way, elbowing him in the stomach then kicked his chin skyward as he went flying back. Another man came to attack you but Zuko stepped forward and kicked the wooden spear breaking it in two. “Nice…” you smiled at him, Zuko smirked as there was one man left.

Gou pulled out his two hammers as Zuko pulled his swords out, “Stay back…” Zuko said, “But… fine,” you sighed and taken a few steps back from them both. Gou used earth bending to send a few rocks towards Zuko, he stopped them with his duel swords but one smacked him in the stomach, you cringed a little and went to help but stopped yourself. Gou sent another attack, Zuko got hit by one stone, Gou continued with his assault violently, “Zuko!” you called as one attack sent him flying, Gou walked over to Zuko.

You kicked a lid off a water barrel and pushed Gou back, “My turn!” you yelled and continued to attack with the water whip. Gou sent some rocks towards you; you spun out of the way and whipped him again. This continued for some time until Gou come out with a sneak attack from below you and you went flying in the air then got hit again in the stomach and went flying back towards Lee.

-Zuko’s POV-
I looked up after recovering a little from that hit and saw Xia fighting Gou. He sent her straight into the air and then hit her again as she went flying towards Lee. Gou looked back at me as Xia lifted herself up but her arm slipped forward because she was weak from the attack.

~Xia’s POV~
You saw Gou walk over to Zuko and ready his hammers, “No!” you screamed then Zuko spun on the ground and sent Gou back with fire bending, you were shocked at Zuko as he started to attack Gou. Zuko sent him towards a building and he was stuck by all the rubble, you two walked forward and stopped, “Who… who are you?” Gou asked, “My name is Zuko, Son of Ursa and Fire Lord Ozai, Prince of the Fire Nation and air to the throne.” Zuko stood his ground, you were shocked that he said all of this; Zuko looked at you and held his hand out. You taken it as Zuko gently pulled you towards him.

“Liar! I heard of you! You’re an outcast, his own father burned and disowned him!” One man yelled, Zuko went and grabbed the dagger off of Gou as he coward before him.

Zuko walked over to Lee, “Not a step closer,” Celia spoke, you walked up to Zuko’s side, Zuko knelt down and held the dagger out, “It’s yours, you should have it.” Zuko said, “No! I hate you.” Lee snapped then walked back, you put your hand on Zuko’s shoulder as he stood up, “It’s always going to be like this…” you muttered Zuko looked at you and pulled you into an embrace.

You both got on the osterige horse and rode off, “I bet that girl is his prisoner and she does what he says… just to disguise them.” One man muttered, you looked back at the man and shot him a mean glare. You wrapped your arms around Zuko’s waist and rested your head on his shoulder.