Life's a Bitch, But Love is Hell

The Awakening

You had all captured a Fire Nation ship and were sailing through the Fire Nation waters; you leaned on the edge of the railing as you heard a commotion around. You saw Aang fell out on the stairs, you ran over and stopped besides him, “Careful you idiot.” You said, “Twinkle toes! That’s gotta be you!” Toph smiled, as she and Katara ran over, you helped Aang up then he looked at you and screamed pointing at you, “Oh right, yea I’ve joined your side.” You scratched the back of your head smiling sheepishly, “Really?” Aang asked, “Yes, and you should get some rest, your still not fully recovered,” you said.

Katara pulled Aang into a hug, “Your finally awake,” Katara smiled, “Aang good to see you back with the living buddy.” Sokka spoke through his Fire Nation helmet; you smacked his head down, “Sokka?” Aang asked, “Oho… somebody catch him he’s gonna!” Toph said as Aang wobbled, you caught Aang from behind and picked him up, Katara patted Aang’s cheek as she woke him up again.

Aang looked up at you, “Can you put me down please?” Aang asked, “Oh, right, sorry…” you said and put him down, you grabbed a blanket and put it over Aang’s shoulders as Katara started explaining some things to Aang. You walked over to the edge of the ship and looked out over the grey sea, “I wonder what your doing now…” you whispered and wrapped your hair around your ear.

You still cared about Zuko, though you are good at hiding feelings you kept all of your hate and pain for Zuko bottled up inside, you controller your emotions easily, that’s what your mother taught you to do, and you could do it.

“Are you not cold?” Sokka stood by you, “No… I’m fine…” you looked away, “Okay… so why did you decide to join us?” Sokka asked, “Is it any of your business!” you snapped, and glared at Sokka, “Sorry…” you quickly said and looked away, “I guess I wanted a change…” you replied, “But I didn’t think it would hurt this much…” you closed your eyes and bit your bottom lip.

The next day you all had something to eat and you were telling Aang what happened after you got away from Ba Sing Se, well… Sokka was. “After what happened in Ba Sing Se we had to get you to safety, we flew back to Chameleon Bay where we found my father and the other Water Tribe men. The Earth King decided he wanted to travel the world in disguise so he set off alone, well not completely alone. Soon the Bay was overrun with Fire Nation ships rather then fight them all we captured a single ship and made it our disguise, since then we have been traveling west, we crossed through the Serpents Pass a few days ago, we’ve seen a few Fire Nation ships but none have bothered us.” Sokka explained.

“So what now?” Aang asked, “We’ve been working on a modified version of the invasion plan.” Hakoda explained, “It’s Sokka’s invasion plan,” Katara said, “Yes, Sokka’s plan… we won’t be able to mount a massive invasion without the Earth Kings armies but the solar eclipse will still leave the Fire Nation vulnerable,” Hakoda explained, “So we’re planning a smaller invasion just a rag tag team of our friends and allies from around the Earth Kingdom we already ran into Pipsqueak and The Duke.” Sokka smiled, “Good to see you again Aang,” Pipsqueak said, “And the best part is, the eclipse isn’t even our biggest advantage we have a secret, you.” Sokka whispered, “Me?” Aang asked, “Yep, the whole world thinks your dead, isn’t that great.” Sokka stood up.

“The world thinks I’m dead, how is that good news that’s terrible!” Aang said, “No, its great it means the Fire Nation won’t be hunting us any more and even better they won’t be expecting you on the day of Black Sun.” Sokka said, “No, no, no, no, no. You have know idea, this is so messed up.” Aang said, and held his head, “Just bare with it… some good will come.” You put your hand on Aang’s shoulder.

Then a horn went off, “Another Fire Nation ship…” you said and looked forward, “I’ll handle this, the Avatar is back.” Aang said and opened his glider, “No, Aang, your still weak from Azula’s attack and you need to rest, come on, and plus they don’t know we aren’t Fire Nation.” You said, Aang looked at you then put his glider away, “Everyone just stay calm, Bato and I will take care of this.” Hakoda said, you nodded and helped Aang into one of the docks.

“I hate not being able to do anything…” Aang glared, “I know the feeling…” you replied and hugged your knees. “But sitting out has its advantages once in a while…” you added. You listened to the convocation until they started to walk away, Toph suddenly jumped up, “They know!” she yelled and grabbed the floor, you blinked in shock as she bended the metal and made the three men fall in the water, “Metal bending… nice.” You smirked, “Why thank you.” Toph folded her arms.

You and Katara ran to the edge, you stood balancing on the rail as you both lifted a huge wave of water and pushed the other boat away. You looked over the back of the ship as the other tailed, “Fire Bombs!” you yelled as one catapult thrown one towards you, it missed and fell in the water. A few more were sent as Toph destroyed one of the catapults, when another bomb was sent you moved your arms back to the ground pushed your self off the ground then sent a huge Water blast to knock it back into the water.

An arrow was shot into the side of the ship, you wobbled a bit as Katara frozen the hole. “I’m gonna give us some cover!” Katara said, “I’ll join you there!” you yelled and ran over, you both pushed the water down and boiled it creating a lot of steam to cover your position and get away from the other Fire Nation ship.

Another Fire Blast hit the rock pile that Toph had and started a few fire’s, you stood on the rail and sent a few more Water Bombs aiming at the catapults, other Fire benders blocked your attacks but you destroyed another catapult, “One left…” you muttered, “How we doing?” Toph called, “Things couldn’t get much worse.” Sokka said, just then a huge serpent appeared behind Sokka, “The universe just loves proving me wrong doesn’t it?” Sokka asked, “You make it too easy!” Toph replied.

A Fire blast was sent and it hit the serpent, the beast swam under water and attacked the other ship, you smiled as it wrapped itself around the boat. “Thank you the universe.” Sokka smiled, you jumped down off the rail and sighed.

Later on you all stopped off at a port and went to get food, you waited above for the others. Toph and Sokka appeared up top and waited for Katara, you all went and got something to eat though you weren’t much of a talker.

When you got back you heard that Aang ran away from the ship, you were looking around at the front of the ship as it poured with rain.

The next morning you found Aang on a small crescent shaped Island laying on the ground, he sat up as you all ran over to him, “Your okay.” Katara hugged him, Sokka, Toph, Momo, and Appa joined in the hug but you stayed to the side. “Xia?” Toph said, “Yes?” you replied, “Your part of our group now too… so join in.” Katara smiled, you looked at them all shocked as Katara held her hand out, you had never felt so accepted into a group before, you smiled as tears appeared in the corner of your eyes, “Thank you.” You smiled and knelt down joined in the group hug.

“I have so much to do,” Aang said, “I know, but you’ll have our help,” Katara said, “You didn’t think you could get out of training just by coming to the Fire Nation did you?” Toph asked, “What about the invasion?” Aang asked, “We’ll join with my dad and the invasion force on the day of the eclipse,” Sokka explained, “Hey what’s? Oh…” Toph said as she picked Aang’s glider up out of the water, “It’s your glider…” Toph said, Aang stood up and taken it from her, “that’s okay, if someone saw it. It would give away my identity it’s better for now that no one knows I’m alive.” Aang said and jumped up. He stabbed his staff into the earth as it burnt to pieces.

~FF~
You were all traveling in a cloud, created by you, Aang and Katara. “I think I see a cave below,” Aang said, “Sesh! Keep quiet!” Sokka snapped, “Like anyone is around here Sokka…” you said as Aang removed the cloud and a few birds squawked, you looked at them and then jumped off Appa without saying a word. “Great job with the cloud camo, but next time lets disguise ourselves as the kind of cloud that knows how to keep its mouth shut.” Sokka explained, “The only thing that would hear us up there are the birds Sokka… and I highly doubt they know how to speak human languages to tell the Fire Lord we are here…” you snapped, “Hey, we’re in enemy territory, those are enemy birds.” Sokka pointed at the birds above his head, one jumped on his head and squawked, the others laughed a little.

You all walked inside a cave and stopped, “Well this is it, this is how we will be living until the invasion begins. Hiding in cave, after cave, after cave, after cave…” Sokka bowed his head down, “Or… we can go and get some new clothes and disguise ourselves” you suggested, “blending in is better then hiding out if we get Fire Nation disguises we would be just as safe as we would be hiding in a cave.” Aang added, “Plus they have real food out there… does anyone want to sit in the dirt and eat cave hoppers?” Toph asked then punched the wall as loads of white cave hoppers jumped out, Momo grabbed one and eaten it, “ewie!” you shivered and looked away. “Looks like you got out voted sport. Let’s get some new clothes.” Sokka smiled, “I’m keeping my trousers… I just need a new top…” you said.

You found a house where the people had their clothes hanging up to dry, “I don’t know about this… these clothes belong to somebody.” Aang said, “Come on Aang… a chance to wear something completely different always gives you a nice feeling when you change instead of wearing the same thing over and over…” you said, “I call the silk robe!” Katara said and jumped out, “Black and red corset!” you smirked and followed; you grabbed it and ran back towards the cave with Katara.

“Hey Katara?” you spoke, “Yea?” she asked, “Want me to do your hair like a Fire Nation girl?” you asked, “Sure!” Katara smiled, “Great!” you cheered and sat her down on a rock. You pulled her plats out and put her hair in a bun at the top while having two tails coming to the front. “There, your really pretty, I can see why a certain someone likes you.” You smiled and frayed her hair out from the front, “Thank you… and who?” Katara asked, “I’m not telling…” you smiled, “But I can tell you like him also.” You said, “Aang?” Katara asked, you nodded, Katara’s cheeks turned a little pink, “I won’t tell… I’ll keep the promise like an older sister.” You smiled, “Thanks.” Katara said, “Your welcome.” You replied, “Now let’s go.” You grabbed her hand after you finished with your hair.

“How do I look?” Katara asked, “Uh, your mum’s necklace.” Aang said after having pink cheeks, “oh, oh yea, I guess it’s pretty obvious I’m Water Tribe isn’t it.” Katara pulled it off, “We can get you a Fire Nation necklace so you don’t feel bare.” You put your hand on Katara’s shoulder; she looked at you and smiled a little.

~Maybe I should tell Aang he’s wearing a school uniform… Nah he’ll be fine~

The others all brought something new to wear as you went around town, “I use to visit my friend Kuzon here hundred years ago, so everyone just follow my lead and stay cool, or as they say in the Fire Nation stay flaming.” Aang smiled, you smacked your forehead, Katara looked at you, “They don’t… just act normal…” you said as Aang walked around the corner, the others nodded at you as they walked around.

“Greetings my good hot man.” Aang said, “hi… I guess.” The man replied, you smacked your forehead again, “Sorry…” you walked passed him.

“Oh, we’re going to a meat place?” Aang asked, “It’s the only thing people actually eat in the Fire Nation…” you said, “Yea come on Aang, everyone here eats meat, even the meat.” Sokka pointed to a cow which eaten some meat off the floor. “You guys go ahead. I’ll just get some lettuce out of the forest.” Aang said.

You all walked inside, and sat at the table, “Most of the food around here is really hot.” You warned, “Great…” Toph said.

~FF~
The day went by really quickly and you all waited in the cave for Aang to come back. “Where have you been? We’ve been worried sick, I got invited to play with some kids after school.” Aang said, “I should have told you that was a school uniform…” you fell back on the ground, “After what?” Sokka asked in shock, “I enrolled in a Fire Nation school, and I’m going back tomorrow.” Aang explained, “Enrolled in what?” Sokka asked, “Not a good idea.” You sat up again.

You all sat around the fire, “Aang I’m trying to be mature and not immediately shoot down your idea, but it sounds really terrible.” Sokka explained, “Yea, we got out outfits, what do you need to go to school for?” Toph asked, “Every minute I’m in that classroom I’m learning new things about the Fire Nation, I already have a picture of Fire Lord Ozai.” Aang held it up, you glared at the picture, and you clenched your fists as an image of his face burned into your memory from when your father died. “And here’s one that I made out of noodles.” Aang said and held up the pictures; “Fire Lord Ozai is a selfish man!” you snapped and folded your arms looking away, Toph could feel your heart beat grow faster.

“Impressive I admit, but I still think it’s too dangerous.” Sokka said, “I guess we’ll never find out about secret river then, it goes right to the Fire Lords Palace, we were suppose to learn about it in class tomorrow…” Aang explained, “hm… I am a fan of secret rivers, fine let’s stay a few more days.” Sokka said, “Flameo hot men!” Aang cheered, you growled a little and walked off.

“That settles it, no more school for you young man!” Sokka snapped at Aang, and then stroked his fake beard, “I’m not ready to leave, and I’m having fun for once, just being a normal kid. You don’t know what its like Sokka, you get to be normal all the time.” Aang said, Toph laughed, “Listen guys, those kids at school are the future of the Fire Nation. If we want to change this place for the better we need to show them a little taste of freedom.” Aang said, “What could you possibly do for a country of depraved little fire monsters?” Sokka asked, “Hey!” you snapped, “I didn’t mean you.” Sokka looked at you, “I’m going to throw them a secret dance party.” Aang danced a little, “go to your room!” Sokka pointed to his left, “Er Sokka… role playing is over now…” you stood up and patted his shoulder, “I know… I just like this fake beard.” Sokka said, you smiled a little and sat back down again next to Toph.

Next day Aang invited all the students to the party and you all readied for it, you went to light some of the candles but as you did barely any fire appeared, “What?” you muttered then shot again, “hm…” you stepped outside and tried a Fire Bending move but a little poof appeared, “Great!” you yelled and fell back on the floor.

You walked back inside and saw the room was almost ready, “What’s wrong Xia?” Aang asked, “I can’t fire bend…” you said, “What?” Aang asked, “I can’t bend!” you said again, “You were meant to teach me though!” Aang said, “I know… but I don’t know what is wrong with me…” you said, “Look…” you said, you tried to produce fire again but it came out as once again a little poof. “I don’t know what’s wrong with me…” you said, “Maybe its because it’s night time…” Toph said, “Maybe…” you said and looked away.

“Their coming everyone stop bending!” Toph said, “Sorry buddy, you should probably wait out back.” Aang said to Appa, he roared and walked out. “I know, you’ve got fancier feet then anybody. And six of them.” Aang said.

You smiled as the party got started.

But nobody was dancing.

You, Toph and Katara were sitting together having a drink as Aang shown the kids how to dance, “Who knew Twinkle Toes could dance?” Toph smiled and taken a gulp of her drink.

Aang and another girl started dancing together, “Wow, they look pretty good together.” Sokka, said, you elbowed him, “Meh, if that’s what you life?” Katara asked, other kids started joining in and dancing.

You stood by the entrance as Aang and Katara started dancing, when the song stopped you looked out and saw a group of Fire Nation soldiers and the headmaster walked towards you, “Party crashers!” you yelled, you ran back towards Sokka and Toph as the music stopped, “He’s the one we want, the boy with the headband.” The headmaster said, the three guards ran in the crowd as Aang ran in.

All the kids helped you all out by wearing headbands themselves as you escaped through the back.

You all flew on Appa and looked back, “We’re safe Sokka, you can take off the mustache now,” Katara said, “Oh no, I can’t, it’s permanently glued to my skin.” Sokka stroked his beard, “We’ll see about that,” you smirked and yanked the beard off, “Hey!” Sokka yelled, you held it away from him as he leaned over to grab it, the others laughed as Sokka fell on top of you. You laughed a little at Sokka’s foolishness as he snatched the beard back. Sokka looked down at you then helped you up from lying down.

“Way to go dancey pants, I think you really did help those kids, you taught them to be free.” Toph smiled, “I don’t know, it was just a dance party, that’s all.” Aang said, “Well that was some dance party Aang.” Katara smiled, Katara kissed his cheek as you smiled, “Flameo sir, Flameo…” Sokka clapped his hands after putting the beard back on, you glared and then grabbed it again. “Stop that!” Sokka yelled, the others laughed as you flew off into the night.