Life's a Bitch, But Love is Hell

The Painted Sisters

Appa was walking through some sludge, which use to be a river. “Wow… this place is awful,” you said, and the thing that grossed you out was that:

One, Sokka was fishing in it.

And two, “Momo!” Aang called.

Two, Aang was swimming in it.

“Er, guys… I think this river is polluted.” Aang jumped back up, he used his air bending to blow away all of the muck, though throwing it on all of you in the process. “Thanks Aang… Thanks…” you wiped it off your face, Aang laughed nervously then blown it all away with a huge gust. “Well that explains why I can’t catch a fish around here, because normally my fishing skills are, off the hook.” Sokka said, you raised an eyebrow as Aang sat down, “Get it! Like a fishing hook?” Sokka asked, “Too bad your skills aren’t on the hook.” Toph said, you all laughed, as Sokka didn’t look amused.

“It looks like we’ll have to go somewhere else to get food.” Katara said, “Presuming that will fit in to Sokka’s master schedule.” You rested your chin in your palm. “It’s doable but that means only two potty breaks today.” Sokka said.

“Hey, maybe we can food there.” Aang pointed outward up the river towards a small town.

Aang hidden Appa as you all headed to a cliff looking over the river, “I don’t feel anything, where is this river?” Toph asked, “Its in the middle of the river.” Sokka pointed, “Sure is! My names Doc, mind if I ask who you are?” an old man from below asked, “We’re from the Earth Kingdom colonies,” you quickly said, “Wow, colonials, hope on I’ll give you a ride into town.” Doc said.

“Why do you guys live on the river?” Katara asked, “Because were a fishing town, at least that’s how it was before the factory moved in.” Doc explained, you looked at it and saw all the black fog coming from the pipes. “The army makes their metal there, moved in a few years ago and started junking up our river, and now our little village is struggling to survive.” Doc explained.

Doc pulled up and you all stepped off the boat, “Thanks for the ride,” Aang said, you all saw how badly the people were doing in the town, “Look at this place, its so sad. We have to do something to help.” Katara said, “I’m with you.” You nodded, “No we can’t waste our time here we have a bigger mission and we need to stay focused on, these people are on their own.” Sokka said, you glared at him, “Can your brother be any more selfish sometimes?” you asked, and Katara walked up Sokka and grabbed his shoulder, “These people are starving and you turn your back on them, how could you be so cold and heartless” Katara asked, “I’m not turning my back, I’m just being realistic, we can’t go around helping every rinky dink town we wonder in to, we’ll be helping them all by taking out the Fire Lord.” Sokka stopped as Toph covered his mouth, “Hey loud mouth! Maybe we should be a little quieter when we talk about taking out the Fire Lord.” Toph whispered harshly, “Come on Katara, Xia, be reasonable about this, you know our mission has to come first.” Sokka said, “I guess so…” Katara replied, “Fine…” you folded your arms, “Let’s just get what we need and go.” Aang said.

You got to a small shop and Sokka tapped the bell, the man who turned around was Doc, “Hey Doc, you work at the shop here too?” Sokka asked, “I’m not Doc, I’m Sho… Doc’s my brother,” Doc explained, “But we just saw you, you’re even wearing the same clothes. The only difference is your hat.” Aang said, “Doc works on the docks, that’s why they call him Doc. And I work in the shop that’s why they call me Sho.” ‘Sho’ explained, “I don’t get it,” Aang said, “Me neither, but what can I getcha?” ‘Sho’ asked and put two boxes on the counter, you looked at what was inside and gagged.

“Hey, I’ll give you a special deal, if you buy three fish, I’ll throw in a clam for free.” Sho explained, “We’ll just take the fish.” Sokka said, as you were leaning over the side of the path trying not to heave. “Mind telling your brother we need a ride back to shore?” Sokka asked. Sho jumped under the counter then reappeared with a new hat, “Hey colonials, my brother said you needed a lift,” Doc said, you were highly confused, as Doc walked off you muttered, “crazy…” and the others nodded.

A young boy grabbed Katara’s arm, “Can you spare some food?” he asked, and you looked at him with sad eyes as she knelt down, “I wish I could help more.” She said and gave him a fish, the young boy smiled and ran across the path to his mother who was lying down, “Somebody needs to help this place out…” you said, Katara nodded.

“Our detour in town has completely thrown us off our schedule-” “Oh no! What a nightmare!” you said, the others laughed a little as Sokka carried on, “It’s going to take some serious finagling to get back on track.” Sokka continued, “Finagle away oh schedule master.” Toph said, “Well for starters it looks like we’ll have to wake up 43 minutes earlier everyday.” Sokka said, “43 minutes?” Katara asked, “That’s too detailed…” you said, “Look we only have a few weeks to get to the Fire Lord in time for the invasion and the eclipse, which by the way only lasts for 8 minutes, and we just lost a whole day. So if we want to make up the time and stay on schedule we have to wake up early.” Sokka explained.

“Well I’m not waking up early.” Toph said, “Same here… I like my sleep if you haven’t noticed.” You explained, “You sleep too much!” Sokka complained, “So?” you replied, “Or we can just cut out all of our eating breaks.” Sokka said, “What?” Aang asked, “No way!” Katara added, “Forget it.” Toph asked, “I like my food too…” you folded your arms.

“I got it! How’s this from now on we take food breaks and potty breaks at the same time.” Sokka said, “Ew!” you yelled, “Hey, it might be gross but it’s efficient. Either way we have to leave here first thing tomorrow morning.” Sokka explained.

While you were asleep someone nudged you awake, “What… Katara? What do you want?” you asked, “I think we should help the village.” She whispered, you looked at the others who were sound asleep, “agreed.” You nodded and you both snuck out from the others.

The next day you slept in as you were hearing loud voices and they were annoying, “What? Appa’s sick that’s awful!” Sokka yelled, you thrown the cover over your head and covered your ears.

You all went into town and saw that it was livelier then yesterday, “Is it just me, or does this place seem, different?” Toph asked, “Yea, are the people happier?” Aang asked, you and Katara smiled as a child was running past with a ball.

“Hey Sho, what’s going on with everyone today?” Sokka asked, “Ah, something amazing happened last night, food was delivered to our village, by two mysterious and wonderful people.” Sho said, “The Painted Sisters.” Sho said, “The painted who now?” you and Katara asked, Sho brought up two small statues, one was smaller then the other. “The Painted Sisters, their part of our towns law, they say their both river spirits who watch over our town in times of need I always thought they were just a legend, until now.” Sho smiled.

“See we don’t need to help these people, they already have two people helping them. We just need some medicine for our sick friend.” Sokka looked back at Sho, “Medicine? Sorry all the medicine we have goes to the factory, that’s why there are so many sick people in our village,” Sho explained, “Looks like we need to stay another night so Appa can rest.” Katara said, “I guess your right. You got any more food to sell?” Sokka sighed, “Would you like the one headed fish or the two headed fish?” Sho asked, “Two headed!” Sokka smiled and grabbed it, you all cringed, “What? You get more for your money that way.” Sokka held the fish all towards you, you all ran away from him.

That night again you and Katara went out, but dressed as the Painted Sisters. You healed all the sick people; you jumped off as Katara finished the last person.

“Hi Doc, is Sho around?” Sokka asked, “Let me check?” Doc replied then walked around the back, you and Katara were watching all the people play around and do their normal duties of the day, as everything was far better then it was.

“You know last night they both came and healed most of our sick folks.” Is all you head from Doc as your mind was distracted from the convocation, “Is that why this place seems so festive?” Aang asked, “It’s all because of the Painted Sisters.” Sho smiled, “Can you believe how much one village can change all because of two ladies? I mean spirits?” Katara asked, you smirked at her and looked at the statues, “Well I hope she returns every night otherwise this place will go right back till the way it was.” Sokka explained, “Why would you say that?” you asked, “Look how much better off these people are.” Katara said, “Yea now, but without them they wouldn’t be able to fend for themselves, if she wanted to help they would use there spirit magic to blow up that factory, Wooo!” Sokka started waving his arms in the air and made an exploding noise while you and Katara glared at him intensely, “Spirit magic doesn’t work that way Sokka, it’s more like.” Aang joined in and did the same thing a different way, you and Katara stormed off as they both started doing the same thing together.

You both stood at the docks and looked at the factory, “Tonight?” you asked, “Yes…” Katara replied.

That night you and Katara both got ready to destroy the factory, “Without my fire bending it will be more difficult to destroy the factory.” You explained, “Yea, but still we have to try.” Katara said, you nodded and you both put each other’s make-up on.

You both left to go and destroy the village, “Hello Painted Sisters, spirits!” you both heard Aang and looked back, “Crap…” you muttered, you both started to run away from him, “Excuse me, I don’t mean to bother you two but my friends sick and we’re on kinda a tight schedule!” Aang called, you both ran on the water across the river, “Wait! But I’m the great bridge between your world and mine!” Aang called.

You both ran into the village, you were a little ahead of Katara as Aang jumped on the roofs. “Hey!” he waved and ran into a pole, you both jumped out into the lake again and ran to hide behind a rock on the shore, “Did we lose him?” you asked, “I think so,” Katara breathed.

Then Aang appeared in front of you two, you both hid your faces from him, “My names Aang, I’m the Avatar,” Aang said and jumped down, “well hello Avatar, I wish I could talk but we are very busy.” Katara said, “Yea, me too, I hate that, you know your both really pretty for spirits. I don’t get to meet to many spirits but the ones I do meet, not very attractive.” Aang said, “Thank you young Avatar.” You said and went to push Katara away from him, “You both seem familiar too…” Aang tried to look under your hat; “A lot of people say that about us.” Katara said and pulled your hand, “No, you really seem familiar.” Aang said.

“Look we really should get going.” You said and pushed Katara away, as you both walked forward a gust of wind pushed up both of your hats, you both quickly pulled them back down again. “Katara? Xia?” Aang asked, “Hi Aang.” Katara said, “You two are the Painted Sisters! But how?” Aang pointed at you two, “Well we weren’t at first, we just wanted to help the village,” you started, “And then since everyone thought that’s who we were anyway, I guess we just kinda became them.” Katara finished, “So you two have been sneaking out at night, wait. Is Appa even sick?” Aang asked, “He might be sick of the purple berries I’ve been feeding him, but other than that he’s fine.” Katara said, “What did I say about wild berries…” you smacked your forehead, “Oh wait, that was with Zuko and Iroh…” you muttered and hugged yourself, Katara put her hand on your shoulder, you truly missed Zuko.

“I can’t believe that you two lied so you could help these people,” Aang said, “We’re sorry, we know we shouldn’t have,” you said, “No, I think its great, your both like, secret heroes!” Aang smiled, “Well if you wanna help there’s one more thing we have to do.” Katara said.

You all headed to the factory and stopped at the bottom, “You want to destroy this factory?” Aang asked, “Yes, Sokka was just kidding but he was right getting rid of this factory is the only way to help these people permanently.” Katara explained.

You all ran inside the building, you all split up and started destroying different parts of the factory making sure it were completely destroyed.

You all walked back that morning together, Aang laughed and made an exploding noise, “Shh, we don’t want to wake Sokka.” Katara whispered, you turned the corner, “Too late…” you said, “Hi Sokka… we were just out on a morning walk.” Katara smiled, “Oh really? A morning walk?” Sokka emptied both of your sleeping bags, “I know you two are the Painted Sisters, I know you’ve been sneaking out at night, and I know you’ve been lying about Appa and feeding him purplelizing tongue berries!” Sokka explained, Toph stuck her tongue out and held up a bag of berries, “Katara, Xia, what you two did put our whole mission in jeopardy we’re leaving right now!” Sokka folded his arms, “Spoil sport…” you muttered, “What was that?” Sokka asked, you sighed, “Spoil sport…” you replied and stuck your tongue out.

You ran off and packed your things by yourself away from the group, you were feeling a little depressed today, mainly about Zuko. You missed him so much, you wanted to be in his arms, you wanted to her his voice, you just wanted him near you.

You sat on the floor and crossed your legs just looking into your bag with your swords, you suddenly heard motors and stood up immediately as it caught the others attention, you all ran to the cliff and looked over, “What’s going on?” Toph asked, “Fire Nation soldiers are going to the village,” Aang said, “What did you two do?” Sokka asked, “We kinda destroyed their factory…” Katara said, “You what?” Sokka asked, “It was your idea in the first place!” you snapped, “I was joking! I used spirit magic and made funny noises.” Sokka smacked his forehead, “Did you even think this through? The armies going to blame the villagers, their headed their right now to get revenge.” Sokka folded his arms, “Well what were we suppose to do.” you said, “Leave, do nothing.” Sokka said, “No! I will never ever turn my back on people who need me!” Katara snapped, “Those people need help and your just to selfish to help!” you stood up and walked off, “We are going down to the village and we are going to do whatever we can.” Katara said and followed you, “That is why you were walking off right?” Katara asked you quietly, “Why else?” you replied.

“Wait, I’m coming too,” Sokka grabbed Katara’s shoulder, “I thought you didn’t want to help?” Katara asked, “You need me, and I will never turn my back on you.” Sokka said, “Sokka, you really do have a heart.” Katara smiled and hugged her brother, you smiled a little, “Sorry bout calling you selfish…” you smiled sheepishly, “Ah it’s okay.” Sokka waved his hand at you.

You all got ready and watched the town get attacked by the soldiers soon you intervened. Every time they lit a tank to explode Aang put it out. You all set a small fog over the town and around the area to spook them, Toph was banging a rock, Appa was roaring loudly in a cave to make it echo, and Sokka was playing a wooden flute.

You two both appeared about 10 feet away from each other then ran forward with amazing speed. You both stopped on the docks as Aang was holding on underneath. “Do something!” the leader said, a man and a woman stopped about 5 feet away, Aang blew upwards and the two soldiers ran away. “Stand your ground!” the leader yelled, you two walked forward and destroyed most of their machines, you both lifted your hands towards the leader. “I’ll take care of you two myself.” He readied for a fight.

He sent a fire blast at you two, Aang blown you both in the air and sent another blast at him. You both went underwater and reappeared above in front and behind the leader, “Leave this village and never come back!” Katara said, the leader turned around and screamed a little when he saw you, “Nice to know you got the message.” You smirked as he swam around you and left.

You both returned to the village where the crowd was cheering for you both, “I knew you’d come.” A small boy smiled, “Thank you.” Doc smiled, “Painted Sisters you’re the best!” another man cheered, “Me and my brothers really owe you a lot.” Doc smiled, then looked at you two a little shocked, “Hey wait a minute, I know you. You two aren’t the Painted Sisters. You’re the colonial girls.” Doc said, you and Katara looked at each other and saw your make-up was coming off, “Oh snap…” you smacked your forehead, “Yea, you’re the lady that gave me a fish.” The small boy said, “You’ve been tricking us! You’re both water benders!” Doc said, “Their water benders!” another man yelled and pointed at you two, “How dare you act like your Painted Sisters!” A man threatened, the crowd started yelling abuse until you snapped, all that bottled pain and hate was stuck until now.

“Maybe we are water benders but what have we done for you!” you stepped forward and thrown your hat on the floor, “We’ve saved your village from the factory and helped your people with food and get you medicine for the sick and this is the thanks we get! Sure we were stupid to dress like the Painted Sisters but at least we got the job done and brought life back to your village you nitwits! You should be thanking us not yelling!” you shouted, all the people were shocked even your friends were, you taken a deep breath and sighed, “Sorry about that shout fest… had some emotions bottle for some time…” you smiled sheepishly and put your hand behind your head, “I guess your right…” Doc said, you smiled a little, “But what should we do now?” he asked, you saw Toph appear in the background, “Maybe we can clean the river.” Toph called, “Yea, we can clean the river.” Doc smiled, the crowds cheered and walked off.

“Thank you, you know, you two aren’t so bad for water benders.” Doc smiled, “You wouldn’t mind keeping that a secret by the way would you?” Sokka asked, “No problem, keeping my mouth shut is a personal specialty. My brother Sho on the other hand, he’s a blabber mouth.” Doc smiled, Sokka smacked his forehead.

“So Doc, are you going to help us clean?” Katara asked, “No mam, I’m going to get my other brother Mushi. He loves cleaning rivers,” Doc explained then pulled his hat off as another appeared and flipped open. “Alright I’m Mushi, let’s get some river cleaning done.” Mushi said, you thought about Iroh when you heard that name, you bowed your head down a little as Aang stepped forward. “Aha, I knew it, I knew you were the same guy, the shop owner and the boat guy,” Aang explained, “Oh, you must be talking about my brothers Doc and Sho,” Mushi explained, “No, I just saw you. You switched hats and called yourself a different name!” Aang explained, “Oh, you know who does that, my brother Doc. He’s crazy.” Mushi whispered the last part as Aang was highly ticked off by the guy, as Mushi walked off.

“Aang, just let it go…” you put your hand on his shoulder, Aang sighed and glared at Mushi, “Aang…” you said, “What? Fine I will…” Aang waved his hands, you smiled, “Good boy!” you smiled and brought Aang into a hug, Katara was a little annoyed but you intended it to be friendly.

You all started cleaning the river together, separating the water from the mud and clay. It was a long day but you got it done in the end.

That night you were sitting by the now clean river as Katara stood next to you, she knelt down and put her hands in the water. You both looked up and saw the Painted Sisters, “Wo…” you muttered, “Thank you.” They both said and disappeared, you both smiled, “your welcome.” You replied. You looked at Katara, “you know that hug I gave Aang earlier was friend intentional nothing more… he’s 4 years younger then me…” you pointed out, “Yea… sorry about the look.” Katara said, “no prob sis.” You smiled and brought her into a side hug, Katara laughed as you both went back.