Life's a Bitch, But Love is Hell

The Runaway

You were walking around the area while Aang practiced training against Katara and Toph, “Hey Sokka, wanna spar?” you asked, “Spar against a girl,” Sokka laughed, “you calling me weak,” you put your blade under his chin, “No mam.” He squeaked, “Good… let’s spar!” you smiled, Sokka pulled out his blade as you pulled out both of yours, “Hey! Two blades against one?” Sokka asked, “You don’t have a choice in the midst of battle what weapon your opponent uses, just be glad I’m not bending.” You explained, “Good point…” Sokka said, he lowered his guard for a second and you went to strike first.

“Whoa! Warn me when we start!” Sokka yelled, “You should have had your guard up!” you smirked as he blocked your on coming attacks.

You swung your leg under Sokka’s kicked his sword about 10 feet away and held your blade to his throat, “Sokka 0, Xia 1” you smiled, “Yea, yea, whatever…” Sokka moaned because he lost and walked off, you smiled and put your blades away. “Guess this girl isn’t weak then…” you smirked, as you two walked back to the others, Sokka mumbled something, “What was that? Did you just admit I’m stronger?” you asked, “Fine, your ………” Sokka mumbled the last part, you grabbed his arm, “What?” you asked, “Your stronger…” he whispered, “What? I want you to yell it.” You smiled, “Your stronger! And cocky!” Sokka yelled, “Who’s complaining? I’m just competitive,” you smirked and walked forward.

Sokka ran out towards Aang a moment later screaming his head off, “Sneak attack!” he yelled, Aang stomped up an earth wall and you cringed at the pain, “Sokka the idea of a sneak attack is that you don’t yell it out when you are attacking.” Aang said.

You saw Katara and Toph were fighting each other, “Weren’t you meant to be training with them?” you asked, “We were… er guys? I thought we were suppose to be training me?” Aang spoke. They both stopped in there tracks. “Very well pupil, I believe we’ve had enough training for today.” Katara walked forward and then walked off leaving you four left.

“While Katara cleans up, let’s go have some fun!” Toph said, “Yea!” you three cheered.

You all walked around town and saw some messenger hawks fly overhead, “Look at all those messenger hawks. You know I’ve been thinking about getting one for myself. That way I wouldn’t have to talk to anyone, I could just send them messages.” Sokka explained, “I gotta say, I like the idea of not talking to you.” Toph said, “Oo burned…” you smirked, and patted Toph on her shoulder, “Good one…” you joked.

“So guys, what are we going to get with our last silver piece?” Aang asked, “We can get more money.” Toph said, you all looked back at her as she stopped in the road, “Right there.” She pointed down to a table and you saw some gambling going on.

“This is where you see people are at a disadvantage, everyone guessing wrong because the dealer moves the rock at the last minute, but I can feel it with my earth bending.” Toph said, the man guessed and was wrong.

“You there want to play a friendly game?” the dealer asked, “How could I possibly play, I’m blind…” Toph waved her hand in front of her face. “You don’t have to see to be lucky.” The dealer said, Toph sat down on the floor and reached out like a blind person, she put the silver coin on the table. He started to move the cups around.

She pointed at one and won two coins. “Flameo Toph.” Aang smiled, “Wow, fancy guessing. You’re amazing at this. Would you like to make the game a little more interesting?” the dealer asked, “More interesting, how?” Toph asked, “Well let’s just say you toss in your friends fine sword, then I’ll put up twenty silver pieces against it and that’s more interesting.” The dealer smirked, Toph grabbed the sword, “I’ll do it for forty sliver pieces.” Toph quickly said, Sokka was shocked. “She’s not gonna lost you dumb, dumb.” You whispered, “Forty silver pieces it is.” The man smirked.

He started moving them around again on the board; you were trying to follow where the rock was going. Toph chosen the middle, “Sorry little lady but…” the dealer saw the stone on the table and was shocked, “I won!” Toph smiled, you all grabbed the stuff and ran off.

You all brought some food and walked back laughing and joking about today. You thrown the boxes on the floor in front of Katara, “Where did you guys get the money to buy all this stuff?” Katara asked, “Toph got us money, she scammed one of those guys in town who moves the shells around all sneaky like.” Aang explained Katara was in shock, “She used earth bending to win the game. Classic.” Sokka said, “Ah, so she cheated,” Katara said, “Hey, I only cheated because he was cheating, I cheated a cheater. What’s wrong with that?” Toph asked, “I’m just saying that this isn’t something we should make a habit of doing,” Katara said, “Why? Because its fun? And you hate fun.” Toph replied, “I don’t hate fun, see fun.” Katara put Momo on her head and he fell off.

“Katara, I personally make a promise that we won’t make a habit of doing these scams.” Aang said.

But you still did, but you were bored of it so left the three of them to do things their own way. While you found a nice place to put your scarf down and sing and dance for money earning quite a bit.

You stopped as you had a lot of money in the scarf, you walked back to where Katara was and smiled at her, “Hi!” you waved, “Got bored of scamming?” she snapped, “I have… I just went to do some singing and dancing to the crowds and they gave me all this money, I brought you something also.” You said, Katara looked at you shocked, “What?” she asked, “A bracelet… here.” You smiled and gave it to her she smiled and put it on her wrist, “Thank you, it’s really pretty.” Katara smiled, “Well its like a friendship bracelet really look, I got one like it cos I liked it also,” you smiled, “You’d be a great sister.” Katara smiled, “Thanks… but we could be none blood related sisters…” you smirked, “Sure!” Katara smiled, you both laughed at the jokes and went back to cooking as the others come back from more scamming.

“Guys, I think these scams have gone far enough. If you keep doing them something bad is going to happen.” Katara said, “I hate to be a party pooper also but she’s right…” you fell back and lay down on the ground, “Could you for once stop being such a sour puss and lighten up.” Toph said, “Oh I’m sorry, you think I should be more like you? Like some wild child?” Katara asked, “Yea, maybe. Maybe then you can see how great we have it, I mean look at us we’re traveling around the world making easy money having fun, with no parents to tell us what to do.” Toph smiled and relaxed.

“Ah, I see your acting like this because of your parents,” Katara said, “Whatever…” Toph said, “They were controlling over you so you ran away and now you act like your parents don’t exist you act like you hate them but you don’t you just feel guilty.” Katara said, “I do hate them.” Toph said, “I don’t think so, I think you miss them, but you just don’t want to deal with that. So instead you act like this crazy person.” Katara explained, “Look, I ran away to help Aang,” Toph stood up, “You know what? It doesn’t matter these scams put us all at risk and we don’t need that, we’ve already got some third eyed freak after us,” Katara explained.

“Speaking of that third eyed freak, I think I’ve come up with a name for him, what do you think of? Sparky, Sparky Boom man.” Sokka explained, nobody spoke, “Just think about it…” Sokka said.

“We have enough money, you need to stop this!” Katara explained, you were sitting between Sokka and Aang watching this argument fly backwards and forwards very quickly, “I’ll stop when I want to stop and not when you tell me!” Toph yelled and walked off making an earth tent.

“Speaking of money, I’m off to spend some, see you guys later.” Sokka smiled.

You, Katara and Aang were training in water bending together, you all walked back up to see Toph and Sokka, but you saw a hawk on Sokka’s shoulder, “Sokka, tell me you didn’t buy a bird?” Katara asked, you saw the hawk and thought of Kara. “I think he’s cute.” You smiled and stroked the bird, “Reminds me of Kara…” you smiled, the hawk squawked. “Anyway he’s not just a bird but a messenger bird, now we can send messages all over the world even to Gran, Gran,” Sokka explained, “Wow, how does it work?” Aang asked, “Hm, er, I never actually thought about that, Hawky Gran, Gran South Pole.” Sokka pointed, the bird just squawked and shook its head, “I think he gets it.” Sokka smiled.

Momo jumped out of nowhere and attacked Hawky and they started to fight around Sokka’s head, “Hawky, be nice, bad Hawky!” Sokka complained.

You were sitting on the edge of the cliff as Toph and Sokka returned from scamming again, you couldn’t be bothered, you walked over and sat next to Aang as Toph was walking away from Katara. “Don’t walk away while I’m talking to you!” Katara yelled, “Oh really mom, or what are you going to do send me to my room?” Toph asked, “I wish I could,” Katara replied, “Well you can’t because you’re not my mom and you’re not their mom!” Toph pointed at you three, “I never said I was!” Katara replied, “No but you certainly act like it! You think its your job to boss everyone around but its not your just a regular kid like the rest of us, so stop acting like you can tell me what to do! I can do whatever I want!” Toph yelled.

“I don’t act that way. Sokka do I act motherly?” Katara looked at Sokka, “Hey, I’m staying out of this one.” Sokka said, “What do you think Aang? Xia? Do I act like a mom?” Katara asked, “Well… I-” “Stop rubbing your eye and speak clearly when you talk!” Katara snapped as Aang rubbed his eye, “Yes mam!” he quickly said, “I can’t be around you right now.” Toph said and walked off, “Well I can’t be around you,” Katara yelled and stormed off.

“Are they always like this?” you asked, “Sometimes… but things will return to normal… don’t worry about it.” Sokka said, “Great… how long will it take?” you asked, “Depends on how they are later…” Aang replied.

Later that day you three were watching Toph and Katara, as they hadn’t moved for a while, “Hey Aang, Xia, you two wanna test out my messenger hawk with me? I’ve got an idea.” Sokka smirked, “Sure.” Aang smiled, “I’m going to send a note to Katara and say its from Toph, who wants to apologize then everyone will be friends again,” Sokka explained, “I gotta say Sokka you continue to impress me with your ideas.” Aang smiled, “Meh it’s a gift.” Sokka smiled, you smacked your forehead thinking that they forgot that Toph couldn’t write of read.

They sent the letter and Katara looked at it, “I know this is from you Sokka, Toph can’t write! Uh you’re all driving me crazy!” Katara ripped the paper up and walked off. “I can’t believe we forgot Toph can’t write,” Aang said, “Yep, we’re idiots,” Sokka said, “I guess plan B is we send a note to Toph pretending its from Katara,” Aang smiled, “I think we’re going to run into a similar problem.” Sokka replied, “Sorry Hawky, looks like I’m going to have to do this without your help…” Sokka said.

You and Aang stayed back at camp while Sokka took Toph to talk with her. “I hope this works…” you said, “Me too…” Aang said, you both lay back on the ground and looked up at the orange sky.

Later Katara came back and then Sokka and Toph walked back also, you were waiting for another fight as Katara walked up to them both. “Hi Toph, Um I wanna-” “Katara stop, you don’t need to apologize I was the one being stupid, these scams are out of control and I’m done with them.” Toph explained, “actually, I wasn’t going to apologize, I was going to say I want to pull a scam with you.” Katara smiled, you three were gob smacked. “What? You wanna pull a scam?” Toph asked, “Not just any scam, the ultimate scam.” Katara smirked; you three looked at each other in disbelief then fell back on the floor.

“What do you say Toph? Just me and you, one last go? You in?” Katara smirked, “You know I’m in. Now what’s this idea of yours?” Toph asked as they both walked away.

You were all waiting for Katara and Toph to get back but they were taking a lot of time, “Do you think this scam of there’s should be taking this long?” Aang asked, “No way… something is definitely up…” you stood up, “We better check it out.” Sokka stood up also and put Hawky down, “You two behave, Appa’s in charge.” Sokka said as you all walked off.

You all walked in town to find Katara and Toph, “Where do you think they might be?” Sokka asked, “Where do you think anyone is?” Aang asked, “I have the feeling something bad is going to happen, and my gut never lies…” you stopped in your tracks, Aang and Sokka looked back then they had shocked faces as Aang grabbed your hand “Duck down Xia!” he said as an explosion went off, “It’s Sparky, Sparky Boom man!” You and Aang looked over the top, “You know, I’m starting to think that name doesn’t quite fit…” Sokka rubbed his head, “What about Metal Man?” you suggested then jumped out the way of another explosion.

You ran down a street as Sokka jumped in a wooden cart and flew out of it, you three knelt down behind it, “This guy is too good! He shoots fire from his brain!” Sokka said, “We should split up. He can’t chase all of us.” Aang said, you all nodded and split down different streets.

You ran back into the center and saw Metal Man’s head get covered with water, “Aang, get up!” Katara ran away, you caught up with them.

Toph shot a rock back at Metal Man but he blew it up, he got hit with a small stone and tried to fire again but it blew up in his face. “Hey I got it, the perfect name for that guy, Combustion Man!” Sokka smiled, “What’s up with my Metal Man?” you asked, “Too obvious…” Sokka replied, “Good job Sokka, now let’s get out of here before Combustion Man catches us!” Toph said and ran forward, “See it fits so well.” Sokka smiled.

That night you found a new place to sleep for the night, as soon as Appa landed you jumped off and fell on the floor then looked up at the sky as Sokka jumped off. You spread your arms either side of you as Aang thrown your sleeping bag at you, “You’ll get cold else…” he said, you smiled and opened it, “Thanks…” you said, “Your welcome…” Aang smiled, “No I mean for accepting me so easily into your group…” you looked up at Aang, “Hey its been a few weeks, and you’re a nice girl. A great sister figure according to Katara but really nice.” Aang smiled, “Thanks…” you smiled and laid your bed out, “Good night guys!” you waved, “Hey where’s Hawky?” Sokka asked, you rolled your eyes, “Night Sokka, Aang, Katara, Toph… see you in the morning…” you waved and ducked your head under the covers falling asleep for the night.