Life's a Bitch, But Love is Hell

The Puppetmaster

“Suddenly they heard something down the hall in the dark, oooOoooOOOOooo. It came into the touch light. And they knew, the Blade of Wingfan was haunted!” Sokka pulled out his sword and held it towards the fire, and screamed, you yawned and lay back on the floor. You looked up at the stars, “I think I liked the man with the sword for a hand better.” Aang said, “Water Tribe slumber parties must stink…” Toph said, “No wait, I’ve got one, and this is a true Southern Water Tribe story…” Katara said, “Is this one of those, a friend of my cousins new some guy that happened to stories?” Sokka asked, “No, it happened to mom.” Katara said, Sokka sat up.

“One winter when mom was a girl a snow storm buried the whole village for weeks a month later mom realised she hadn’t seen her friend Nini since the storm. So mom and others went to check on Nini’s family but when they got their no one was home, just a fire flickering in the fireplace. While the men went out to search mom stayed in the house when she was alone she heard a voice. It’s so cold and I can’t get warm. Mom turned and saw Nini standing by the fire she was blue like she was frozen mom ran outside for help but when everyone came back Nini was gone.” Katara explained, “Where’d she go?” Sokka asked from behind a tree root, “No one knows, Nini’s house stands empty to this day, but sometimes people see smoke coming up from the chimney where little Nini is still trying to get warm.” Katara explained.

Everything was quiet, “I think the boys are officially scared.” You smirked and sat up, “Am not.” Sokka glared at you, “you so are.” You smirked, “Wait, guys! Did you hear that?” Toph asked, you looked at Toph confused, “Hear what?” you asked, “I hear people under the mountain, and their screaming.” Toph said, you lay back down, “We don’t have a good enough hearing as you Toph…” you said, “Pfft, nice try,” Sokka smirked trying to act cool, “No I’m serious, I hear something,” Toph explained, “Your probably just jumpy from the ghost stories.” Katara explained, “It just stopped.” Toph said, “Alright now I’m getting scared.” Aang said, “The Avatar is scared of some ghost stories, Ha! Never thought I’d hear that.” You laughed and stood up, but you whispered the word Avatar so only the others could hear it just in case anyone else was around.

“Hello children,” A voice said, the other three jumped up, Sokka grabbed a hold of you as Katara and Aang grabbed onto Toph. “Sorry to frighten you, my name is Hama.” An old woman smiled, you coughed, “Sokka…” you said, “Yes…” he looked at you, your faces were really close, both of your cheeks tinged as he jumped off, “Sorry…” he said, “It’s okay…” you replied, “You children shouldn’t be in the forest by yourselves at night, I have an Inn near by, why don’t you come back there for some spiced tea and warm beds.” Hama smiled, “Yes please.” Sokka had a high pitched voice, you elbowed him in the stomach to calm down, “What was that for?” he asked, “Your voice was annoyingly high.” You said and walked forward with Hama.

“Thanks for letting us stay here tonight, you have a lovely Inn,” Katara smiled, “Aren’t you sweet, you know you should be careful people have been disappearing in those woods you were camping in.” Hama explained, “What do you mean disappearing?” Sokka asked, “When the moon turns full people walk in and they don’t come out. Who wants more tea?” Hama stood up smiling, you were all shocked, “Don’t worry you’ll all be completely safe here, why don’t I show you to your rooms and you can get a good nights rest.” Hama smiled.

You got up in the morning and went shopping. You walked with Katara and Hama around town, “That mister Yao seems to had a thing for you.” Katara smiled, “Yea maybe we could go back and see if he would give us some free kimodo sausages.” You smirked, “You two would have me use my feminine charm to take advantage of that poor man?” Hama asked you both, “I think we are going to get along swimmingly.” Hama smiled, you laughed and carried on walking.

“Why don’t you all take those things back to the Inn. I just have to run a couple more errands. I’ll be back in a little while.” Hama smiled, “This is a mysterious little town you have here.” Sokka said, “Mysterious town, for mysterious children,” Hama smiled then walked off.

“That Hama seems a little strange, like she knows something. Or she’s hiding something.” Sokka said, “That’s ridiculous, she’s a nice woman who took us in and gave us a place to stay, she kinda reminds me of Gran, Gran.” Katara smiled, “But what did she mean by that comment, Mysterious children?” Sokka asked, “Sokka, we were camping in the woods in the middle of the night and she found us… don’t you think that’s a little mysterious?” you asked, “I’m going to take a look around…” Sokka said, “I want no part.” You said and returned to putting things away.

The others followed Sokka, a while later you heard Hama return, “Oh Xia, where are your friends?” she asked, “Er… around…” you laughed nervously as she walked off, “Crap…” you said a little high-pitched.

You followed her up to a room in the attic, you pulled a face as if to say sorry to them, “I’ll tell you what’s in the box.” Hama said, the kids screamed and looked around, they gave her the box as you mouthed sorry.

She pulled the item out of the box, “an old comb?” Sokka asked, “It’s my greatest treasure, it’s the last thing I owned from growing up in the Southern Water Tribe.” Hama said, you were all shocked. “Your from the Southern Water Tribe?” Katara asked, “Just like you,” Hama smiled, “How did you know?” Katara asked, “I heard you talking around your camp fire,” Hama said, “But why didn’t you tell us?” Sokka asked, “I wanted to surprise you, I brought all this food today so I could fix you a big Water Tribe dinner, of course I can’t get all the ingredients I need here but ocean cumquats are a lot like sea prunes if you stew them long enough.” Hama explained, “Great…” Aang looked a little disgusted, “I knew I felt a bond with you right away.” Katara said, “And I knew you were keeping a secret, so I guess were both right.” Sokka smirked at his sister, Katara punched his arm, “But I’m sorry we were sneaking around.” Sokka said, “Apology accepted, now lets get cooking.” Hama smiled, “I’ve never had a Water Tribe dinner before.” You smiled.

You all sat down for dinner, “Who wants five flavoured soup?” Hama asked, you raised your hand as she bended the water and separated it between all five out you, “You’re a water bender!” you and Katara smiled, “I’ve never met another Water Bender from out tribe!” Katara smiled, “That’s because the Fire Nation wiped them all out. I was the last on.” Hama said, “So how did you end up out here?” Sokka asked, “I was stolen from my home, it was over 60 years ago when the raid started. They try again and again, each time rounding up more of our water benders and taking them captive. We did our best to hold them off but our numbers dwindled as the raids continued. Finally I too was captured, I was lead away in chains the last water bender of the Southern Water Tribe.” Hama explained, Katara walked around to comfort Hama, “They put us in terrible prisons here in the Fire Nation, I was the only one who managed to escape.” Hama finished.

“How did you get away? And why did you stay in the Fire Nation?” Sokka asked, “I’m sorry it’s too painful to talk about any more.” Hama said, “We completely understand. We lost our mother in a raid.” Katara said, “I lost my father to the Fire Nation also,” you walked around and knelt down on the floor and put your hand on Hama’s, “Oh you poor things,” Hama said, “I can’t tell you what it means to meet you, it’s a honor you’re a hero.” Katara smiled, “I never thought I’d meet another Southern Water Bender. I’d like to teach you two what I know so you can carry on the Southern tradition when I’m gone.” Hama smiled, “Yes, yes of course, to learn about my heritage, it would me everything to me.” Katara stood up as well as you, “I’d love to learn the true power of where my father originated from, please… teach us.” You both bowed forward.

“Growing up at the South Pole, water benders are totally at home surrounded by snow and ice and seas, but as you probably noticed on your travels that isn’t the case wherever you go.” Hama explained, “I know, when we were stranded in the desert I felt like there was almost nothing I could do.” Katara said, “That’s why you have to learn to control water wherever it exists,” Hama explained, “I’ve even used my own sweat for water bending.” Katara smiled, “that’s very resourceful Katara, you’re thinking like a true master, but did you know you can even pull water out of thin air?” Hama asked, she moved her arm around then water surrounded the tips of her fingers, “You’ve got to keep an open mind Katara, Xia. There’s water in places you’d never think about” Hama said as the ice frozen and she thrown them into a tree.

You all walked into a field of Fire lilies, “Wow these flowers are beautiful…” Katara smiled, “Their called Fire lilies, they only bloom a few weeks every year, and are my favorite flower from the Fire Nation,” you picked one up and smelled it, “Like all plants like all living things, they’re filled with water,” Hama explained, “I met a water bender who lived in the swamp and could control the vines by bending the water inside.” Katara explained, “You can take it even further,” Hama looked back at you two, she spun on the spot pulled all the water from the flowers and then sliced a rock in 4.

“Wow…” you said, “That was incredible, shame about the lilies though,” Katara said, “Their just flowers, when you’re a water bender in a strange land you do what you must to survive. Tonight I will teach you two the ultimate technique of water bending, it can only be done during the full moon when your bending is at its peak.” Hama explained, “But isn’t that dangerous,” Katara said, “Yea, I thought people have been disappearing around here during a full moon,” you said, “Oh, Katara, Xia, three master water benders beneath a full moon I don’t think we have anything to worry about.” Hama walked forward, you two looked at each other and shrugged.

Later that night you three were standing in the forest looking up at the moon. “Can you feel the power the full moon brings. For generations it has blessed water benders with its glow allowing us to do incredible things. I’ve never felt more alive.” Hama looked up at the moon.

“What I’m about to show you I discovered in that wretched Fire Nation prison. The guards were always careful to keep any water away from us. They piped in dry air and had us suspended away from the ground. Before giving us any water they would bind our hands and feet so we couldn’t bend, any sign of trouble was met with cruel retribution. And yet each month I felt the full moon enriching me with its energy, there had to be something I could do to escape. Then I realised that where there is life, there is water. The rats that scurried across the floor of my cage were nothing more then skins filled with liquid and I passed years developing this skill that would lead to my escape. Blood bending. Controlling the water in another body, and forcing your own will over theirs.” Hama explained, you were both shocked.

“Once I had mastered the rats I was ready for the men. And during the next full moon I walked free for the first time in decades. My cell unlocked by the very guards assigned to keep me in. Once you perfect this technique you can control anything, or anyone.” Hama explained, “But to reach inside someone and control them, I don’t know if I want that kind of power.” Katara said, “I don’t want it full stop.” You snapped, “It’s wrong and disgusting.” You added, “The choice is not yours the power exists and its your duty to us the gifts you’ve been given to win this war, Katara, Xia they tried to wipe us out, our entire culture, your mother, your father,” Hama said, “I know,” Katara said, “Then you should understand what I’m talking about. We’re the last Water Benders of the Southern Tribe we have to fight these people whenever we can, wherever they are with any means necessary,” Hama said then something clicked inside of your head.

“You’re the spirit that has been taking people away from the village.” You said, “You’re the one making people disappear during the full moons,” Katara added, “They threw me in prison to rot along with my brothers and sisters, they deserve the same you two must carry on my work.” Hama snarled, “We won’t” Katara said, “We won’t learn blood bending and we won’t allow you to keep terrorizing this town.” You said then your body moved violently.

You couldn’t move your own body, both yours and Katara’s bodies were flying around doing the same thing, “You two should have learned the technique before you turned against me. It’s impossible to fight your way out of my grip. I control every muscle every vain in your bodies.” Hama said, she thrown you’re around a little more then pushed you both to the ground, “Stop please…” Katara cried, you looked at Katara and hated seeing the tears in her eyes.

You glared at Hama then clenched your fists, “We draw power from the moon also Hama.” You growled then attacked her as Katara was released from Hama’s grip, “We are more powerful benders then you Hama, your technique is useless on us.” Katara snapped as you both attacked, Hama sent a huge gush of water towards you both. You both put your hands forward and pushed the water backward, Hama was in shock as you created a shot of water from under her and Katara from the top where you hit her and spun her around making her hit the floor hard.

Sokka and Aang appeared, “We know what you’ve been doing Hama,” Sokka said, “Give up your out numbered.” Aang said, “No, you’ve out numbered yourselves.” Hama said and taken control of Sokka and Aang. The fight continued until Sokka and Aang started attacking you and Katara, you had to deal with Sokka’s sword, you knocked his wrist out of the way grabbed his hand and pushed him against the tree, “This is still my body even though I can’t control it.” Sokka said, “I know.. and this is fun.” you teased as his foot kicked you away, Sokka picked his sword up again and ran at you. You spun around out of the way while drawing water from the ground and pinning Sokka to the tree with ice.

“Don’t hurt your friends you two, and don’t let them hurt each other.” Hama pulled them both together, you had no choice. You reached outwards towards Hama and stopped her movements, Katara looked at you shocked, “Katara think you could help… this is harder then it seems…” you said as Katara helped you in controlling Hama and bringing her to the ground.

Toph and the missing people ran up the hill to find you all, they cuffed her, “You’re going to be locked away forever.” One man said, “My work is done, Congratulations Katara, Xia, your both blood benders.” Hama smirked, you clenched your fists and bowed your head down, and you heard Katara sniff as you looked at her. You pulled her into an embrace and she returned it, Hama laughed as she was pulled away. You both knelt down as Katara cried on your shoulder.