Life's a Bitch, But Love is Hell

The Firebending Masters Pt. 1 - The Sun Warriors

You woke up that morning to find yourself alone in Zuko’s room, you got out of bed and started to walk the temple trying to find Zuko. When you did he was trying to fire bend but it wasn’t working, “Same problem huh?” you asked, “what do you mean?” Zuko asked, “I’ve lost my fire bending too… look.” You preformed a fire bending movement your bending just went poof, “See… same problem…” you said.

Later that night you were all sitting together but Zuko was alone outside, “I’m bored…” you said, “well then find something to do,” Sokka said, “Why don’t you sing a song Xia?” Toph suggested, “Yea, you have an amazing voice,” Katara said, “erm… no thanks… I’m fine…” you waved your hands, “You’re the bored one so sing the damned song,” Sokka said, “It’s not a damned song its an art that I’ve taught myself!” you snapped, “Sorry… just a little touchy about singing and that kinda stuff…” you smiled sheepishly, “Go on then, sing. Haru, Teo and The Duke haven’t heard you sing before, it would be nice for them.” Aang said, “Fine, fine.” You waved your hands.

“This one is call, Feel The Sun…” you said, “I sung it a long time ago but I love it.” You smiled and stood up,

“These thoughts can be evil and they often deceive.
Gotta believe that I can overcome.
My fears are the worst and they always return.
I never learn. Feel like I don't belong.

Lost in the wreckage of a million bad dreams.
Hard to function, I just need some routine.
God, it's obscene. When did they stop the fun?

I knew that something must be done.
To save the person I'd become.
That's why I had to run away.

Feel the sun. Waves crash like my emotion.
Life has begun, now I will be safe from the storm.
I found the one. This angel's my salvation.
I'm feeling strong. You will be there if I fall.”

-Zuko’s POV-
I listened to Xia’s calming voice, she sounded like an angel as I looked back at her singing softly, she was beautiful in more ways then one, not just her looks but Xia was special, I’d never felt so alive with Xia, she was my world.

“Guilt is no use it will tarnish your soul.
Just let it go. The battle will soon be won.

Cold in the shadow of who I should be.
There's a fire burning deep inside me.
Helping me see, only I hold the key.

And now I stand here unafraid.
Proud of everything I've made.
That's why I had to run away.

Feel the sun. Waves crash like my emotion.
Life has begun, now I will be safe from the storm.
I found the one. This angel's my salvation.
I'm feeling strong. You will be there if I fall.”

~Xia’s POV~
“There's so much energy. At last I can be free.
I am the person I was looking for.

Feel the sun. Waves crash like my emotion.
Life has begun, now I will be safe from the storm.
I found the one. This angel's my salvation.
I'm feeling strong. I'll never fall.
You are there when I call.”

You stopped singing as two arms wrapped around your waist, you smiled and leaned your head back on Zuko’s shoulder, you saw Haru give a little glare at Zuko. “Listen everybody, I’ve got some pretty bad news, I’ve lost my stuff,” Zuko said, “Don’t look at me I didn’t touch your stuff,” Toph folded her arms, “I’m talking about my Fire bending, it’s gone,” Zuko said, Katara laughed, you both glared at her a little, “I’m sorry, I’m just laughing at the irony you know how it would have been nice for us if you lost your fire bending a long time ago,” Katara smirked, “Well its not lost its just, weaker for some reason,” Zuko said, “Maybe your just not as good as you think you are?” Katara said, “Ouch…” Toph said.

“I bet its because I changed sides,” Zuko suggested, “That ridiculous,” Katara said, “Hey, I lost my fire bending when I joined you guys…” you said, “Maybe your fire bending comes from rage. And you just don’t have enough anger to fuel it the way you use to.” Aang said, “So, all we need to do is make Zuko angry, easy enough.” Sokka smirked then grabbed your hand and pulled you out of the way as you tripped and fell on Haru, “Sokka…” you growled as he started poking and prodding Zuko.

“Okay cut it out!” Zuko yelled, Sokka jumped out of his skin, “Look, even if your right I don’t want to rely on hate and anger any more, there has to be another way,” Zuko said, “Your going to need to draw your fire bending from a different source,” Toph said as you stood up and walked over to Zuko again, “I recommend the original source,” Toph finished.

“How are they supposed to do that? By jumping into a volcano?” Sokka asked, “No, Zuko and Xia need to go back to whatever the original source of fire bending is,” Toph replied, “So, is it jumping into a volcano?” Sokka asked again, “I don’t know, for earth bending the original benders were badger moles. One day when I was little I ran away and hid in a cave, that’s where I met them. They were blind just like me, so we understood each other. I was able to learn earth bending, not just as a martial art, but as an extension of my sense. For them the original earth benders it wasn’t just about fighting it was their way of interacting with the world,” Toph explained.

“That’s amazing Toph, I learned from the monks that the original air benders were the sky bison. Maybe you can give me a lesson some time buddy?” Aang looked out towards Appa, you smiled at him, “Well this doesn’t help us, the original fire benders were the dragons, and they’re extinct,” Zuko said, “What do you mean? Roku had a dragon, and there were plenty of dragons around when I was a kid” Aang asked, “Well they aren’t around any more okay!” Zuko snapped, you put your hand on Zuko’s shoulder to calm him, “Okay, okay, I’m sorry,” Aang quickly said.

“Maybe there’s another way, the very first people to learn from the dragons were the ancient Sun Warriors…” you explained, you and Zuko went to the door, “Sun Warriors? Well I know they weren’t around when I was a kid,” Aang said, “No, they died off thousands of years ago, but there civilization wasn’t too far from where we are now, maybe we can learn something by poking around in there ruins,” Zuko suggested, “It’s like the monks us to tell me, sometimes the shadows of the past can be felt by the present,” Aang explained.

“So what, maybe you’ll pick up some super old Sun Warrior energy just by standing where they stood a thousand years ago?” Sokka asked, “More or less, either we find a new way to Fire bend, or the Avatar has to find a new teacher,” Zuko looked at Aang, you could tell he didn’t like that idea at all.

The next day you, Aang and Zuko left to find the Sun Warrior Civilization, “We’ve been riding for hours, I don’t know why but I thought this thing would be a lost faster…” Zuko explained, Appa roared a little, “Appa’s right Zuko, in our group typically we start out our missions with a more upbeat attitude.” Aang smiled, “I can’t believe this…” Zuko muttered and lay down, you smirked and crawled over Zuko, “Cheer up, we’ll be there soon, so don’t be so glum,” you smiled; Zuko looked up at you then gave you a sweet kiss. “What would I do without you?” he smiled, “Nothing…” you joked.

You flew over a big hill then you looked down at an old civilization, “Whoa!” you all said together.

Appa landed down and you all started to look around, ancient ruins, you were amazed by them, “Even though these buildings are ancient, there’s something very familiar about them, I can tell the Fire Sages temples are some how descended from these,” Zuko said, “Okay, we learned something about architecture, hopefully we’ll learn something about Fire bending too, the past can be a great teacher, whoa!” Aang fell forward on a rope then spikes shown up form the ground, Aang used his air bending to jump across in the nick of time, you sighed happily as Aang made it.

“Zuko! Xia! I think the past is trying to kill me!” Aang looked back, “I can’t believe it, this booby-trap must be centuries old, and it still works,” Zuko picked the rope up, “there’s probably a lot more, maybe this means we shouldn’t be here,” Aang said, Zuko stepped back then ran across the wall over to Aang, you stepped back a little to do the same thing. “What was that upbeat attitude you were talking about?” Zuko asked Aang, you ran at the wall and jumped off over the two of them and landed in front, “let’s keep moving, they have traps for a reason,” you beckoned them ahead.

You all walked up the stairs and saw a picture of two dragons blowing fire around one man in the middle, “Look, this seems promising, though I’m not sure what this tells us about the original source of fire bending,” Aang said, “They look pretty angry to me,” Zuko said, “I thought the dragons were friends with the Sun Warriors…” Aang said, “looks like their definition of friend is different to our definition…” you said.

Zuko walked off and grabbed your hand, “Zuko, something happened to the dragons in the last hundred years, something your not telling me…” Aang said, “My great grandfather Sozen happened,” Zuko said.

“He started the tradition of hunting dragons for glory, they were the ultimate fire benders and if you could conquer one your fire bending talents will become legendary, and you earn the honorary title, Dragon. The last great dragon was conquered long before me or Xia was born, by my uncle,” Zuko explained, “But I thought your uncle was, I don’t know, good…” Aang said, “He had a complicated past, family tradition I guess…” Zuko said, you hugged Zuko from behind; he gave you a small smile before walking off. “Let’s just move on,” Zuko said, Aang walked up to you and pulled you along when he grabbed your hand, and you smiled at Aang and then walked on.

You came to a stop at a door, which had a red sunstone on the top. Aang ran up to the door and tried to pull it open, “That won’t work silly…” you said and pushed Aang off, “Why not?” Aang asked, “Look…” you pointed at a red light on the floor, Zuko looked down, “It’s a celestial calendar, just like the Fire Sages have in their temples, I bet that Sun Stone opens the door, but only when sunlight hits it at just the right angle, on the Solstice,” Zuko said, “Monkey feathers… the solstice again, we can’t wait here that long,” Aang complained, “No we can’t,” Zuko pulled out his sword, “But we might be able to speed time up, let’s see if we can outsmart the sunstone,” Zuko said and reflected the light on the red gem.

“Nothing’s happening,” Aang said, “Come on,” Zuko said, the doors slowly started to open, you cheered and jumped on the spot, “You know Zuko, I don’t care what everyone else says about you, your pretty smart,” Aang smiled, you saw a smile on Zuko’s face as you walked inside.

You saw a statue right in front of you, Aang jumped, “Relax Aang…” you put your hand on his shoulder, “Yea, their just statues,” Zuko walked forward, you looked around and saw three sets of them, they met at the back of the room in some kind of formation.

“It says this is something called the Dancing Dragon…” Aang said, “Dancing Dragon…” you repeated, “Yep…” Aang replied, you stood behind one of the statues and copied what Aang did and that was take the pose, your body fell a little, you looked down at the slab, “Zuko! I want you to come dance with me!” Aang pulled Zuko, your face was blank. “What?” Zuko asked, and looked at you, “Just do it Zuko!” you nodded, Zuko gave you a little glare, “There will be revenge later…” Zuko smirked at you, “I can’t wait,” you cheered sarcastically.

“Let’s follow the steps of the statues,” Aang said, you all taken the same position and moved onto the next, Zuko was a little shocked as the tile slipped down, “Don’t you see, these aren’t dance moves, these statues are giving us a lesson, I think this is some kind of Sun Warrior fire bending form.” Aang said as you all got closer to the back of the room, “This better teach us some really good fire bending,” Zuko said, you all met at the front and stopped as you heard something behind you move.

A golden egg appeared on a pedestal, “Hurray! Wait, what exactly is that?” Aang asked, “It’s some kind of mystical gem stone…” Zuko ran forward, “Wait!” you said, “What?” Zuko asked, “Don’t touch it,” Aang and you walked forward, “Why not?” Zuko asked, “Remember what happened out there with those spikes?” you asked, “We’re just very suspicious of giant glowing gems sitting on pedestals,” Aang said, “Aang?” you said, “Yea?” Aang looked at you, “It’s an egg… a giant glowing golden egg… not a gem…” you pointed out, “Whatever it is just don’t touch it,” Aang said.

Zuko picked it up, you looked at him as if he was stupid, “It feels almost alive,” Zuko said, “Zuko… did you just hear the opposite of what we just said?” you asked, Zuko looked at you blankly then went to put the egg back but a huge explosion of green goo pushed him to the ceiling, “Zuko!” you called, “Oh no, it’s another trap!” Aang said, “No shit!” you replied and jumped up onto the statues, “I can’t pull free, it’s like some kind of glue!” Zuko said.