Life's a Bitch, But Love is Hell

The Boiling Rock Pt. 1 - Found Again, Someone Lost

You were all sitting together by a warm fire as Zuko made some tea, “No one can make tea like uncle, but hopefully I learned a thing or two, would you like to hear uncles favourite tea joke?” Zuko asked, “Sure,” Katara said, “I like jokes,” Aang smiled, “Bring it,” Toph said, “Okay, well I can’t remember how it starts but the punch line is, leaf me alone I’m bushed,” Zuko smiled, everyone was silent, “Maybe you should leave the jokes to uncle Iroh,” you smiled, “Yea, it is funnier when he tells it,” Zuko said, you looked back at Sokka and saw he was sitting alone.

You crawled over and sat in front of Sokka, “You okay?” you asked, Sokka didn’t reply, “It’s nice to get a chance to relax a little, it rarely ever happens,” Toph smiled, Zuko walked over to you and Sokka with a tray of three teas, “Hey can I talk to you for a second?” Sokka asked, he then grabbed your hand and pulled you along also. “What’s up Sok?” you asked, “Sok?” Zuko glared at you a little, “What he’s my best mate?” you replied, “And I’m your boyfriend…” Zuko replied, “What do you want a pet name?” you asked, “Would be nice…” Zuko said, you smirked, “I’ll think on it,” you said as Sokka looked at you both.

“So, what’s up?” Zuko asked, “If someone was captured by the Fire Nation, where would they be taken?” Sokka asked, “What do you mean? Who was captured?” Zuko asked, you knew that Sokka was asking about his father as you gave him a sympathetic look, “When the invasion plan failed some of our troops were taken, I just want to know where they might be?” Sokka asked, “I can’t tell you,” Zuko replied, “What? Why not?” Sokka asked, “Trust me knowing would just make you feel worse,” Zuko said, he turned to leave as Sokka grabbed his shoulder.

“It’s my dad, he was captured too, I need to know what I put him through,” Sokka said, “its not good Sokka,” Zuko replied, “Please?” Sokka asked, “My guess is, they were taken to the Boiling Rock,” Zuko said, “The Boiling Rock? That’s sounds really familiar…” you said, “What’s that?” Sokka asked, “It’s the highest security prison in the Fire Nation, it’s on an island in the middle of the boiling lake, its inescapable,” Zuko explained, “So where is this place?” Sokka asked, “Why do you want to know?” you asked, “What are you planning?” Zuko asked, “Nothing, boy your so paranoid,” Sokka looked at you both, “It’s in the middle of a volcano, between here and the Fire Nation, you guys actually flew right past it on you’re way here,” Zuko explained, “Thanks Zuko, just knowing makes me feel better,” Sokka yawned and walked past.

You sat down by the wall and hugged yourself, “The Boiling Rock…” you muttered, “What about it?” Zuko asked, “It sounds really familiar…” you said, “Yea most people in the Fire Nation know about it,” Zuko said, “Zuko… let me think…” you said, Zuko sat next to you, “I remember my mum saying something about my brother and the Boiling Rock at one point and then mentioning my grandfather when I was 7… but I really can’t remember…” you said.

Later that night you and Zuko sat on Appa waiting for Sokka to appear, Zuko had his arms around your waist, as you were sleepy from the long day. Zuko had his arms wrapped around you tightly as you rested your head on his chest listening to his heart beat, you smiled a little as Zuko spoke, “Not up to anything huh?” he asked, you heard Sokka yell out then a crash on the floor, you sat up and rubbed your eyes as Zuko looked over the side of Appa.

“Fine you caught me, I’m going to rescue my dad, you happy now?” Sokka said, “the only thing that makes me happy is Xia,” Zuko said, you smiled, “Look, I have to do this, the invasion plan was my idea, it was my decision to stay when things were going wrong, my mistake, and its my job to fix it, I have to regain my honor, You can’t stop me Zuko,” Zuko jumped out in front of Sokka, you looked over Appa and leaned your arm over the side.

“You need to regain your honor, believe me I get it I’m going with you,” Zuko said, “Me too.” You looked over, “No, I have to do this alone,” Sokka climbed up Appa, “How are you going to get there? On Appa, last time I checked prisons don’t have Bison daycares,” Zuko pointed out, Sokka looked at you then sighed, and looked back at Zuko, “We’ll take my war balloon,” Zuko said.

You followed them both to the war balloon, you got inside and sat down on the chair before Sokka could, “Meanie,” he said, “Well I’m a girl, you should be a gentlemen,” you replied, you leaned on the edge and tried to fall asleep during the ride but couldn’t.

Zuko was using his bending to fire up the balloon so it wouldn’t drop, you could feel a weird atmosphere around you, “Pretty clouds…” Sokka said, “Yea, fluffy…” Zuko replied. You smiled with your eyes closed as Sokka started to whistle, “What?” Zuko asked, “What? I didn’t say anything,” Sokka said, they were quiet for a moment, “you know a friend of mine actually designed these war balloons,” Sokka said, “No kidding?” Zuko asked, “Yep, a balloon, but for war,” Sokka said.

“If there’s one thing my dad’s good at its war,” Zuko said, “Yea, it seems to run in the family,” Sokka said, “Hey, hold on not everyone in my family is like that,” Zuko said, “I know, I know, you’ve changed,” Sokka said, “I meant my uncle, he was more of a father to me, and I really let him down,” Zuko said, “I think your uncle would be proud of you, leaving your home to come help us, that’s hard,” Sokka said, “It wasn’t that hard,” Zuko replied, “Really? You didn’t leave behind anyone you cared about?” Sokka asked, “The only person I truly care about is Xia,” Zuko said, “She is a great girl, in best friend terms…” Sokka quickly said.

“Everyone in the Fire Nation thinks I’m a traitor, I tried not to drag Xia into it but, when she joined me and met my sister, she did,” Zuko said, “My first girlfriend turned into the moon,” Sokka said, “That’s rough buddy,” Zuko replied.

You stretched and pretended to wake up, Sokka looked back at you, “Can I sit down now?” he asked, “Sure…” you said and stood up, you leaned over the edge of the balloon as Sokka tried to get some rest. You felt two arms wrap around your waist, “Please be careful when we land,” Zuko said, “I’m always careful,” you smiled, “your definition of careful is loud and obvious,” Zuko kissed the back of your neck, “well you love me for it,” you smiled, “I do love you,” Zuko whispered in your ear, “I do love you too,” you replied.

Zuko turned you around in his arms and then pulled you into a kiss. You wrapped your arms around his neck as you two heard a cough; you both looked at Sokka, “Please… I’m right here…” Sokka said, “Sorry Sok…” you smiled.

“There it is,” Zuko said, Sokka woken up and you all looked over towards a volcano, you leaned on Zuko’s back and looked over his shoulder as Sokka stood next to Zuko. “There’s plenty of steam to keep us covered, as long as we’re quiet we should be able to navigate through it without being caught,” Zuko said.

As you entered the steam the balloon started to fall, “We’re going down, the balloon’s not working any more,” Zuko spoke quietly, you joined him on bending fire into it in small sparks but it wasn’t working, “The air outside is just as hot as the air inside, so we can’t fly,” Sokka said, Zuko lost his balance and fell back towards the edge, you held onto the side, “So what are we suppose to do?” Zuko asked, “I don’t know, crash landing?” Sokka asked.

The balloon hit the water, you kept away from the edge as Sokka yelped a little, and you saw he burnt his hand on the boiling water. The balloon crashed on the edge and you all fell out onto the floor in a heap. You rubbed your bum and stood up, “Well that wasn’t nice,” you muttered.

“How are we going to get off the island if the balloon won’t work?” Zuko asked, “We’ll figure something out, I suspected it might be a one way ticket,” Sokka replied, “You knew this would happen and you, wanted to come anyway?” Zuko asked, you stood up, “My dad might be here, I had to come and see,” Sokka replied and started to pick up the material of the balloon.

“My uncle always said that I never thought things through, but this, this is just crazy,” Zuko said, “Yea you have gone a little overboard with this Sokka,” you stood next to Zuko, “Hey, I never wanted you to come along in the first place, and for the record, I always think things through but my plans haven’t exactly worked so this time I’m playing it by ear, so there,” Sokka replied, Sokka tried to push the ship out but he burnt himself again, he then kicked the ship out and it sank in the water, “What are you doing?” Zuko asked, “It doesn’t work anyway, and we don’t want any one to find it,” Sokka replied, “I hope you know what your doing…” you said, you three looked at the prison, “There’s no turning back now.” Zuko said, you nodded and all made your way into the prison.

You all found a room where you found some uniforms to wear, yours was a little tight around your chest, “I hope these disguises work,” Zuko said, “We just need to lay low and find my dad as soon as possible,” Sokka said, “Then we can get the hell out of here,” you smiled, “Xia…” Zuko said, “What?” you asked, he pointed at your arm, “Oh right… my snake… I guess that’s kinda a give away…” you said and put it in your pocket where it sat loosely.

A lot of guards ran past and you all leaned against the wall, “Guards, there’s a scuffle in the yard, come on,” A man stopped, you all looked at each other and ran.

You all pushed through the crowd and stood in front of them as two people were talking in the middle, “I didn’t do anything I’m going back to my cell,” the prisoner said, the guard made a fire whip and hit the floor near his feet, “Stop right there Chit Sang,” the guard said Zuko went to run out but Sokka grabbed his arm as your held his hand, “We can’t blow our cover,” Sokka whispered.

“I’ve had it with your unruly behavior,” the guard smirked, “What did I do?” Chit Sang asked, “He wants to know what he did? Isn’t that cute?” the man asked Sokka, when Sokka didn’t reply he looked at him suspiciously and annoyed, “Uh, very cute sir,” Zuko replied, “Super cute,” Sokka added.

The guard walked over the Chit Sang, “You didn’t bow down when I walked by Chit Sang,” he said, “What? That’s not a prison rule,” Chit Sang replied, “Do it,” The guard glared, “Make me,” Chit Sang replied.

The guard walked away from Chit Sang then attacked him with fire bending, Chit Sang blocked it and redirected it back at the guard, “tsk, tsk, fire bending is prohibited, your going in the cooler,” the guard smirked, “You help me take him in,” the guard pointed at Sokka, “Meet back here in an hour,” Sokka whispered then ran forward.

You were sent to walk around the cells making sure that nobody did anything wrong, you put your hands in your pockets when you walked around and felt your charm wasn’t in your pocket, “Crap… where is it?” you checked both of your pockets twice then retraced your steps all the way back to the room where you got your disguises, “where is my charm?” you looked around, “Hey you!” a guard called you straightened up and turned to face him, “Yes?” you replied, “What are you doing around here?” the man asked, “I lost something around here of mine sir and I’m trying to find it,” you said, “What was it?” the guard asked, “A snake, its meant to sit on my arm but I take it off while I’m wearing uniform,” you explained, “Come with me,” the guard glared at you.

You were worried about what was going on now as you followed him to a room where you saw an old man dressed in another uniform different yours, “Warden, we’ve found the owner of that snake charm,” the man said, you were shocked as the old man turned around. You recognized him, “Grandpa?” you muttered, “Take off your helmet now,” your Grandpa snapped, you bowed your head down, “No,” you said, “Guard take it off,” your Grandpa commanded, another guard grabbed you as another removed it.

Your Grandpa was shocked, “Xia?” he asked, you looked away and nodded, “Hey Grandpa…” you said, “What are you doing here?” Grandpa asked, you couldn’t tell him the truth so you lied, “I’ve been trying to find you ever since my mom, dad, brother and grandma had died… then I learned you were here and snuck in…” you explained, “But I was told you joined the banished Prince then the Avatar,” Grandpa glared, “I only did it to find you Grandpa, you’re my only family, and I stay true to my family, please Grandpa, I mean it, I’ve been looking for you since I was 10, its been 6 years Grandpa, please…” you begged.

-Zuko’s POV-
“Hello their fellow guard how goes it?” I asked, “Zuko?” Sokka stood up, “Shh, listen I asked around the lounge, there are no water tribe prisoners I’m afraid your fathers not here,” I said, and lifted up my cover, “What? Are you sure, did you double check?” Sokka asked, “Yea, I’m sure,” I replied, “No, no,” Sokka punched the wall, “I’m really sorry Sokka, so we came all this way for nothing, I failed again, for nothing,” Sokka leaned against the wall, “Ah what would uncle say? Sometimes clouds have two sides, a dark and light, and a sliver lining in between its like a sliver sandwich, so when life seems hard take a bite out of the sliver sandwich,” I explained, which was really weird…

Sokka ran besides me with a smile on his face, “Maybe we haven’t failed after all,” Sokka smiled, “That’s the spirit, I can’t believe that worked, I didn’t even know what I was saying,” I said, I felt quite proud of myself, “No, what you said made no sense at all, but look,” Sokka pointed out, “It’s Suki!” Sokka had hearts in his eyes, “Prisoners back in your cells!” A voice yelled.

“Actually Sokka?” I asked, “What?” Sokka replied, “Have you seen Xia? We said we’d meet here and she hasn’t come…” I replied, “She might have been caught up by a guard or something, I’m going to see Suki,” Sokka smiled then ran off.

Wherever Xia was… I hope she was okay.

~Xia’s POV~
You were great!

Your Grandpa believed your whole story! Which was a bonus, you were able to walk around the prison and do whatever the hell you wanted which was a bonus and the guards couldn’t do anything to stop you.

But you did tell your Grandpa that you had feelings for Zuko but you’d chose family over anybody and your Grandpa believed you, but hated the fact that Zuko did break your heart. He also gave you your charm back.

You walked around to the offices and grabbed some files; you laid them out on the desk then looked through all the prisoners’ names. You saw one name you thought you’d never see, “No way…” you muttered.

Shen Jacynth

You blinked and looked at his cell number. You put the scrolls away and walked around the cells, “Guard help! I think he’s an imposter!” You blinked as you saw Sokka push Zuko to the floor; you were two floors up and looking down at them both.

-Zuko’s POV-
I was sitting in a dark room as the door opened, “Well, well, well, I never thought I’d find you in here, Prince Zuko,” an old man walked in, “How did you know who I am?” I asked, “How could I not, you broke my granddaughters heart,” he said, “What?” I asked, “Thank you for bringing her back to me, she always chose family over anyone else,” the old man smirked, “Who are you?” I asked, “I’m Xia’s grandfather,” the man replied, “Xia’s grandfather?” I asked, “Yes, and I guess that you followed her here trying to find me, Thank you for driving her away,” Xia’s grandfather smirked, I glared at him, she must have been found out and made up a story so she wouldn’t get thrown in jail, good girl…

“I never meant to hurt her…” I said, “Quiet! You’re my special prisoner now, and you best behave if these criminals found out who you are, the traitor prince who let his nation down well they’d tear you to shreds,” Xia’s grandfather smirked, “So what’s in it for you? Why don’t you just tell my father and collect a reward?” I asked, “Oh in due time believe me, I intend to collect,” the old man smirked then walked out.

~Xia’s POV~
You went to the top level of the prison and found ‘Shen’s’ apparent cell, you sighed and looked through the hole leaning up, you opened the door and closed it behind you to see a man sitting in the corner with his arm resting on his knee and his other leg stretched out. “Get out of my cell…” he said, “Shen…” you said, the man looked at you, his hair was jet black and up to his shoulders and his metallic eyes were dull, “Who are you?” he asked, you lifted up your sleeve top to show your snake charm.