Life's a Bitch, But Love is Hell

The Warriors of Kyoshi

At night on the ship you were walking towards Zuko’s room, “How do you think he’s going to take the news?” you asked, “Not well…” Iroh said, “My guess it the fire in the room will explode…” you said as Iroh opened the door.

“The only reason you should be interrupting me is if you have news about the avatar…” Zuko said, “Well there is news Prince Zuko, but you might not like it. Don’t get too upset.” Iroh said, “Uncle, you taught me that keeping a level head is the sing of a great leader, now whatever you have to say, I’m sure I can take it.” You looked at Iroh with a raised eyebrow and a little smirk. “Okay then, we have no idea where he is.” Fire burst up into the air, Zuko was angry, “What!” Zuko yelled.

Iroh pulled a fan out, “you should really open a window in here…” Iroh said, “Give me the map!” Zuko snapped, and yanked it from Iroh. You stood in front of Zuko as he looked at it, “Uh, there have been multiple sightings of the Avatar, but he is impossible to track down.” Iroh explained, “How am I going to find him uncle? He is clearly a master of evasive maneuvering.” Zuko said. You raised your eyebrow, “Zuko, you’re talking about a 12 year old boy,” you said, Zuko looked up at you and sighed, Iroh smiled and taken the map back then walked out of the room, “I’ll leave you to your thoughts.” You smiled and walked to the door, Zuko held your arm, “Please…” he said, “you need calming down?” you asked, Zuko didn’t say anything but just walked back to where he was sitting before you came in.

You stood behind him and put your hands on his shoulders, he tensed a little. “You feel tense Prince Zuko…” you said, “you know you can just call me Zuko…” Zuko replied, “Yea… but sometimes I feel like calling you Prince Zuko, as long as your ego doesn’t boost.” You joked, you felt Zuko relax a little but he still was tense.

~He really needs to relax~

You started to massage Zuko’s shoulders and you could tell he liked it. He started to relax greatly until you stopped, “Don’t stop…” Zuko whispered, you smiled a little, “Some people have to sleep, and that includes you.” You poked his head from behind, Zuko looked back at you as you waved walking out of his room, “Goodnight my Prince.” You waved.

-Zuko’s POV-
“Goodnight my Prince.” Xia waved.

When the door closed I looked at the candles in front of me, I don’t know why but… Xia has a calming presence that always gets the best of me. I don’t understand it.

~Xia’s POV~
The next day you, Iroh and Zuko were sitting down ready to eat together, Zuko had been allowing you to eat together since you started talking, which was kinda nice for you as you knew them both well now, but Zuko was still hard to read in some ways.

As a man walked in and put the fish on the table he revealed where the Avatar was. “The Avatar is on Kyoshi Island. Uncle, ready the Rhinos’. He’s not getting away from me this time.” Zuko stood up and walked out, you sighed a little and looked down, “Are you going to finish that?” Iroh asked. Zuko walked back and picked it up, “I was going to save it for later…” Zuko said and walked back, Iroh looking disappointed.

You sighed deeply and Iroh noticed, “What is wrong Jack?” Iroh asked, “I’m just fed up of this war…” you said and stood up. “I’m going to my room; call me when Zuko’s just about to leave…” you walked out.

You walked into your room and lay down on your bed with your arms spread out either side of you.

You looked up at the ceiling and sighed, you became to mutter a poem to yourself.

Because today was the day your mother died.

-Zuko’s POV-
I was just walking towards the main shaft to ready a rhino for myself when I past Xia’s room and her door was ajar.

“Lost in a world, that scares me to death,
Lost in a crowd I’m losing my breath,
Lost as a kid, lost as an adult
I feel everything is falling apart and it’s my fault
Lost as a person, cant find my way
Lost in life every day, Lost in worry
Who am I?
I’ve lived a Lie
Lost to Kindness,
Lost to Love
Lost in the sky,
Like a lonely dove
Lost in thought which I shouldn’t do
It Winds me up,
I can’t get through
Lost to comfort all kind words
Lost to advice that isn’t heard
Lost to those who really care?
All these people always there
Lost in Me, I need a break
Lost in wonder which road should I take?
Lost in a place I don’t know well
Where are you now? There’s no one to tell
Lost here all alone to break these walls
Lost in mind
Lost in soul
Lost memories, they’re just a hole
Lost family, lost my place
Still yet I’m full of hate
Lost in boredom think I’ll leave
There’s a lot in life I need to achieve”

I heard Xia talking to herself, sounded like she wasn’t in a good mood. I walked forward and down the corridor.

~Xia’s POV~
“Oh Jack, Zuko is ready…” Iroh spoke outside your door, you put on a fake smile ran out the door and down the corridor, “Thanks Uncle Iroh!” you waved.

When you saw Zuko he was sitting on a rhino, you ran up its tail and jumped on the back of Zuko’s ride with your swords ready for some fun. “We almost their?” you asked, Zuko looked back at you, “Why are you coming?” Zuko snapped, “I want some fun…” you said, “It’s kinda bored when I have no one to fight against.” You folded your arms behind him, Zuko sighed as the boat’s main hatch was opening.

“I want the Avatar alive.” Zuko said as you all walked out. You wrapped your arms around Zuko’s waist to hold on.

You stopped at the edge of a small defenseless town, “you shouldn’t have come…” Zuko muttered, you sat back a little, “Come out Avatar! You can’t hide from me forever!” Zuko yelled, “Find him!” Zuko snapped when no one appeared. You watched the men ride forward until loads of girls jumped out of nowhere and attacked Zuko’s men.

One girl was running towards Zuko and yourself. Zuko sent a few fire attacks at her, the girl jumped in the air. Zuko quickly grabbed the reins and the tail of the rhino knocked her back. Zuko sent another fireball at her but another warrior got in the way. “Heads up!” you quickly said and jumped back as one girl attacked Zuko. You looked to your right and saw a girl run at you with her fans ready, you pulled your swords out and blocked all her attacks.

“Oh, your good…” you smirked, the girl smirked and ran at you again, “But not good enough.” You muttered as she went to strike your Kasai tipped the fan out of her hand and as you span around, Mizu knocked the other fan and thrown the fans in another direction leaving the girl weaponless. The girl was shocked as you put your swords away and thrown your hands towards her, she was expecting fire bending but got snow in her face instead.

“Nice try Avatar, but these little girls can’t save you.” You walked besides Zuko, “Hey, over here!” you heard Aang. You looked at him as Zuko stepped forward; you waved from behind and stepped backwards. “Finally…” Zuko said, he attacked Aang. Aang defended and flew forward, when Aang landed Zuko kicked his staff out of his hands towards you. You dodged it before the thing hit you. Aang jumped back grabbed some fans, jumped and sent Zuko flying into a building. “Zuko!” you screamed, Aang looked at you as your face was full of worry. You ran towards the building and kicked Aang’s staff towards him as he grabbed it.

You ran inside the building and looked at Zuko as he was on the ground, “Zuko, are you okay?” you asked, “Do I looked like it!” Zuko snapped then glared at you a little, your eyes saddened as he stood up, “Come on,” he said in a more sympathetic tone.

You followed him out, when he saw the Avatar his anger returned. “Back to the ship! Don’t lose sight of them!” Zuko yelled, you ran with him towards the rhino. You saw Kara in the sky and smiled as she returned to the ship.

When you were all on the rhino a huge snake like serpent appeared and sprayed water all over the town. It also covered all of you. You rung your hair out as Zuko arrived back at the ship with all the other men in not too good of a mood.

You jumped off and ran to your room getting in the shower and washing your body down.

When you were drying your hair you using water bending to pull every last drop out but left a small amount so your hair didn’t get unhealthy. “Neat trick.” You looked back quickly, “Zuko… I thought you were someone else then…” you panted in worry, “Just me who knows about your water bending…” Zuko said and closed your door.

“Are you okay?” Zuko asked, “Yea, why?” you asked confused, “I heard you talking to yourself in your room earlier today… something about being lost?” Zuko said, your eyes widened a little, “Oh, you heard my poem… yea…” you scratched your chin looking away a little embarrassed with red cheeks. “Your poem?” Zuko asked, “I come up with poems sometimes when I have nothing else to do… they are mainly based on my life… that was the first poem I ever come up with. There are others…” you said, “tell me another…” Zuko said, “they are mostly depressing though…” you looked at him, “I’m listening…” Zuko replied.

“I lost my mother
I lost my father
I lost my brother
And lost my dreams too

I lost my friends
I lost my family
I lost my sister
And lost my will too

I lost my school
I lost my work
I lost my village
And lost my rights too

I lost my day
I lost my night
I lost my sight
And lost my feelings too”

You closed your eyes, hoping not to show how you felt. You walked over to your bed and sat down, “That was my second poem… though not as good…” you said and crossed your legs.

You grabbed your gloves off the side, “You may have lost something but you have gained other things…” Zuko said, you looked at him a little confused then smirked, “I’ve been left alone in the world for 6 years Zuko with no one to look after me. What the hell have I gained?” you snapped, Zuko was a little annoyed and a little shocked by your attitude. You started walking towards Zuko, “I’ve lost everything I ever knew because of this damned war in the world. I lost my family, my home, my life, even my will to live left me years ago… do you think that I have actually gained anything?” you asked, Zuko glared at you, “Iroh gave you somewhere to stay, I still don’t approve of it.” Zuko snapped and walked out of your room.

You closed your eyes and punched the wall, “Dammit!” you yelled. Kara squawked loudly and you looked at her sighing, “Shut up…” you snapped.

That night you were on the docks and practicing your fire bending techniques by yourself. Though your fire was more violent and dangerous then usual.

-Zuko’s POV-
I was standing on the top floor looking out on the balcony until below someone started to fire bend. It was Xia; she was in perfect form the whole time. Kara flew and sat next to me on the rail. “Her fire is full of rage…” my uncle walked next to me, “She has been a bit off all day today… maybe you should go talk to her.” My uncle suggested, “she snapped at me earlier, I’m not talking to her again.” I replied, “Prince Zuko, you are the only person she has opened up to the most since she got on this ship. I know nothing of her past, but I know you do. And I know that you know that she, is a water bender also.” My uncle said, “How did you find out?” I asked, “I saw her bending yesterday when she had a glass of water in her room. Though she wasn’t in too good of a mood yesterday but not like today.” My uncle explained, “This day might have significant meaning to her…” my uncle added then walked back.

“You should get some sleep Prince Zuko. We have a lot ahead of us.” My uncle said and walked back.

~Xia’s POV~
You stopped fire bending; you were out of breath and tired. You heard a footstep behind you, you looked back at Zuko and glared, “Come to yell at me?” you snapped, “Something has happened today hasn’t it?” Zuko asked, you blinked, “What do you mean?” you asked, “Something significant to this day has happened, what?” Zuko asked, your eyes saddened as you turned away from him and hugged yourself.

“Today… was the day my mother died…” you said, a moment later you felt a hand land on your shoulder. You looked at Zuko and sighed, “Sorry I was snappy at you…” you said, “It’s okay, for now I know the reason why.” Zuko said, “you haven’t completely lost your temper at me have you?” you asked, “I would have done if you kept yelling at me, but its pretty hard when your voice if so calming…” Zuko smirked; you smiled in return and wrapped your arms around Zuko’s neck bringing him into a hug. “Thanks for listening.” You said, “your welcome…” Zuko replied.