Daylight

Chapter Forty-Four

Joe’s POV

I was glad we’d got to the stage when we did, or I might’ve missed “A Bell Will Ring.” And I couldn’t fucking believe how great it sounded. Y’know how, when you’ve got that track in yer head, and it plays on, just the way it sounds on the record…then yeh hear it live, and it bloody well blows everythin’ else outta the water? That’s what hearin’ the ‘Bathers play that song did to me. I mean, I was just standin’ round with me mates, and then I heard that opening solo, so familiar, and yet…
“Tom,” I said, “what’s that song, then?”
He squinted at the stage like that would help. “Dunno, brother. Lovely though.”
“Yeah. Right.” Now I was lookin’ at the ‘Bathers oddly, as Maureen bent her head over her axe, concentratin’ on the notes. I watched Sandra as she fingered her bass, ghosting over the chords comin’ up in the song; I’d seen Tom do that countless times. I saw Christine as she flicked a glance at Tom, smiled, and positioned her hands so’s to be ready when the beat came in. Maureen then nodded to Pet, who stood waitin’, thumping her hands gently on the body of her guitar. I could see her countin’ off, and then she began to sing.

Recognition flooded me brain and heart: I knew it right off, from the first note.

She closed her eyes during that first verse; I’d been hoping she’d look over at me when she sang, and couldn’t understand when she didn’t. Tom handed me a beer and I drank, not even tastin’ it, I was so intent on waiting for those eyes to open. Me brother then thumped me a bit to get my attention, and said summat into me ear. But for the life o’me, I couldn’t tell yeh what it was. I tried to get him to shut the fuck up, and pointed at the stage with the beer still in me hand. Of course, that’s just the mo she was lookin’ at me, wasn’t it?
The second verse was just as great, and the second chorus blew me away; where were those harmonies when Oasis recorded it, eh? I smiled and Pet’s eyes finally met mine. There was just a moment of hesitation when she started the bridge, but she recovered nicely; it was gorgeous.
When they finished, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to show how much I loved it without rushin’ up to grab Pet right in front of everyone, but I managed to restrain meself and settled for cheerin’ along with everyone else. I knew the best way to show her.

Later, when we’d played most of our set, I spoke into Tom’s ear, askin’ for a song I’d been thinkin’ of ever since that moment. He nodded and agreed to let me sing it, signalin’ to Bryan and Glenn to let them know. I could see Petula off to the side of the stage where we’d been standin’ just a little while before.
“This is a bit of a special request from me brother, Joe,” Tom announced to the crowd. He cut his eyes over to me. “We don’t let him sing much, but I guess today he thinks he wants to be heard. So yer all gettin’ a rare treat!”
I saw Pet laughin’ her pretty little arse off at that statement, and was suddenly a bit afraid:what if I fuck it up?
No time fer that shit; Tom counted off, and it was too late. Nothing for it but to sing:

Baby, I feel good
From the moment I rise
Feel good from morning
Till the end of the day
Till the end of the day…

Yeah you and me
We live this life
From when we get up
Till we go sleep at night

You and me we’re free
We do as we please, yeah
From morning till the end of the day
Till the end of the day


I caught Pet’s smile at that. I suppose you could think of that song as all of us on Warped, doin’ whatever we wanted, as long as our arses were in the right place when needed.

Yeah, I get up
And I see the sun
And I feel good, yeah
Because my life has begun

You and me we’re free
We do as we please, yeah
From morning till the end of the day
Till the end of the day


God, I love that fucking song! It’s got just a bit of those amazin’ chords that anchor “All Day and All of the Night,” but with its own…personality, if you get my meaning. I saw Pet clappin’ with everyone else, and that made me feel great too.
I couldn’t bloody wait for tonight.

After our set was over, I was hopin’ to rush off with my girl, but both of our bands were signin’ all manner of merch at our booths, so we couldn’t get away straight off.
But when we were done, Pet and I stopped at the buses for our things, then held hands and went off together. We passed Vivian on the way, and Pet waved at her.

Viv’sPOV

I watched Petula go off again with Joe, not sure if I should be concerned or not.

I was standing between the buses—hiding from Tim Karan, if you really wanna know—drinking a beer, and trying to stay as cool as possible.
I took a swig of my brew, and all of a sudden I got the feeling that I wasn’t alone.
I turned to my right side as casually as possible, in case my companion was Tim.

Thank God, it wasn’t: it was Shoshi Levy.
“Vivian, isn’t it?” she asked me, since we probably hadn’t seen each other since the first day of the tour.
“Yes, it is,” I assured her. “How’ve you been, Ms Levy?”
She waved her hand. “Please, let’s not be so formal, I hate that,” she informed me. Then she nodded in the direction into which Joe and Pet were rapidly disappearing. “What d’you think of those two?” Shoshi asked.
I smiled. “I think they make…a tremendously cute couple,” I replied.
The ‘Bathers’ manager smiled back at me. “Yes, don’t they?”
Something wistful, almost…melancholy…in her tone made me look more closely at her face. She seemed almost on the verge of tears.
“Is there something wrong, Shoshi?” I asked her. “I mean, I don’t want to pry, but….”
“No, it’s fine—I’m fine,” she insisted, but her voice was choked.
“Let’s go have a seat,” I suggested. We made our way over to one of the food stands and got a couple of water bottles, then settled ourselves on a bench.

Shoshi took a few swallows of her water and sighed.
“Better?” I asked.
“Much,” she answered. “Thank you, Viv.”
“So you gonna tell me what’s up?” I half-kidded her.
She sighed again, more heavily this time. “I was just thinking how sad I’m going to be, leaving the girls.”
“Leaving? You mean, going back to New York and having a tour manager stay with them?”
She took another drink before answering. “No, leaving, as in, I can’t be their manager anymore.”
I was shocked. “Why not?”
Shoshi stared at me. “Haven’t you talked to Pet lately?”
“Not much in the last week or so,” I admitted. “Why, what happened?”
She laughed a little. “Nothing bad, exactly, I just…found out that I’m pregnant, and shouldn’t travel,” she replied. “And I can’t be their manager anymore, because I’ll probably need bed rest, which I hear is highly incompatible with working.”
I was stunned and tried to recover.
“That’s great,” I told her. “I’m so happy for you.”
“My husband is just nuts,” she confided, beaming, “so excited. Me too, actually.”
I smiled back. “Wonderful. When are you planning to…?”
“As soon as we get to California,” she finished for me. “I need to kinda hand them off to their new manager, then I’ve done all I can.”
I knew better than to ask her who that might be; I didn’t want her to think I was pumping her for confidential information.

“So, I understand you’re Petula’s godmother?” she asked me suddenly.
“That’s right.”
“Are you also a relative? I was just wondering.”
I took a deep breath. “Yes, her aunt; her mother and I are sisters.”
Shoshi smiled, shaking her head in wonder. “Her folks did a good job with her. She’s a good person, and that rare creature, a mostly sensible girl.”
“That they did,” I agreed faintly, with a hint of melancholy in my voice this time.
If Shoshi noticed, she didn’t say anything. When I turned back to her, she was studying my face. “I guess I don’t see too much resemblance,” she mused, “maybe in the nose, or the hair color?”
“Maybe,” I hedged. “My sister’s a blonde, but Petula’s dad is Irish, so red hair runs on both sides. We may very well have the same nose.” I laughed shortly. “Of course, in my case, the hair color might be fudged…just a little.”
Shoshi smiled wearily, took a deep breath and stood. “Well, as pleasant as this is, I think my little one’s telling me to hit the sack,” she yawned. “I just don’t last too long anymore. Damn this fatigue. Goodnight, Viv. It was nice talking with you.” She patted my shoulder.
“You too, goodnight,” I replied automatically.

I watched the swirl of people around me for a few more minutes. I saw Bobby and Steph walking with their arms around each other. In the back of my mind, I knew Tim would want me to watch them…like, spy on them. He’d want me to tell him if I thought a personal relationship was damaging their ability to deliver copy. But I just couldn’t. They were young; they looked so happy. What was the harm in that?
I decided right then: Tim Karan could kiss my ass. I walked back to my quarters and made myself scarce for the rest of the night, trying not to wonder too much about Petula and her activities tonight.
A mostly sensible girl, huh? Maybe not so much, but a good person nonetheless, I thought to myself just before I fell asleep.