Little Miss Blue Dress

Fernando Who?

Have you ever seen those movies where the person is actually awake. Then something completely terrible happens and they think that they're dreaming because of how horrible it is? Suddenly they realize that it's their reality and scream as loud as they can because they want to do that. It's as if their own nightmare that they wished never happened.. happens. Or sometimes you get in such a pickle that you don't know how to undo it. You just try to do everything possible that you can think of and it doesn't work. You try your best.. and it doesn't work. You don't askk for help because usually the deal is that nobody can help you, or knows how to help you when you get yourself into trouble. Boy am I in a deep pickle right now. To tell you the truth.. I wasn't even asking for this. It just happened. Seriously! All I did was be a good girl that I always am and just bam! Get thrown into the real world just because my mom made me. All I did was just.. crash a car. Well I didn't. Someone else did. I just took the blame because my sixteen year old best friend isn't capable to say that she did it. Don't blame the age deal. She knows how to drive really well, and it just happened. I'm what.. twenty? She was taking control of the wheel and just all of the sudden this drunken guy just waltz in by a red light and crashes right through us. We didn't get hurt or anything, but he surely did. It was pure bliss to see that the person that caused the accident got hurt. That's mean. I'm a horrible person.

Anyway.

Back to how I got to this forsaken place. So my mom found out about -of course she did, she always finds out about these things since she's a lawyer and such- it and it just seemed fair to her that I pay for the damage itself. Of the car. I couldn't give the blame to Natalia even though she actually did it. Get this. It was a two hundred and fifty thousand dollar car that she had screwed up. Who's car? Her daddy's. A lamborghini. You know like the ones that they show in the really expensive movies? Yeah. Those. So here I take the blame for it. Mom didn't really yell at me, she just said that I needed to be more responsible with the things that I break and the things that I do. It was just strange to see her that way because whenever I did something wrong.. which was usually never. She would yell at me. Oh no, this time it was different. The atmosphere had changed ever since dad left. I could hear her crying at night.. saying that she wasn't worthless and that he left because he was too good for her or even for me. Dad had left simply because he wasn't in love with her anymore. It killed my mom. I felt so bad, so I started to believe that this was my fault. If I hadn't been born maybe they would still be together. Yeah right. Most of the time they kept arguing, his side of the story was that she didn't have time for him. Her side of the story is that he stayed at home and didn't do any work. When really he was going out and spending mom's money of strip clubs and Las Vegas.

Mom didn't really care that he did that.. she knew. Oh she knew. She just never wanted to do anything about it because it would upset him that she would talk down to him. She never did stand up for her rights for herself. For everybody else. Yes. For her. No. It drove me insane as to why she would do that for everybody, but not for herself? What was that? It's as if she was a whole person by solving other people's problems. Talk about solving people's problems? Oh, sure she'll solver everybody's problems. Except mine. I'm twenty years old and I go to Julliard. My passion is to play the piano and have done so ever since I was three? That's what mom tells me. Except the thing is.. I can't go this year since mom decided to send me all accross the world to pay for the damage that I did not do. Natalia was so going to pay for this. She had apologized a million times, but that didn't help the situation any better! I told her it was okay since she was under eighteen and such it would be harder on her. At least we didn't have to pay for the damage of the other car since he crashed into us. The police said that I had to take defensive driving. They never found out that Natalia did it because we both got off the car whenever they had came, and the drunk guy could never remember. Most people don't tend to look who was the driver unless it's some famous celebrity star going out with another celebrity star. Funny thing celebrities. So. It turned out. My nightmare was real.

So mom usually usually cried at night over the fact that dad left. I have never told her that I always hear her when she does cry. Most of the time when I'm home I'm in my room listening to my music while I'm on the computer. At night I turn it on low since she's asleep. Or faking it. I always wanted to tell her that it's okay to be vulnerable.. I should know. Sometimes it was better for people to cry when nobody knew about it. It made them feel better, and maybe that's the way that she coped with it. Curse dad for doing this to her. I don't really want to tell her since she would tell me if there was anything wrong. So. back to where I am. Mom figured out, or thought that the best possible way for me to pay the damaged parts of the car is by working for someone. For it to count it had to be someone that she assigned to me. I checked two people off my list whenever she said that. Mean woman. I never get my way and it's not that I ever complain, because they weren't s bad as this. No reason to cry about it either since she just gave me independence.. not that she had figured that out. The reason I don't complain is because mom doesn't need another person complaining to her about something. That's what her customers were for. I don't even bother. Not worth it. Besides. It's better for her to come to an atmosphere where it's tranquil, peaceful and quiet. Guess what happened because I "crashed" the car?

Mom sent me away to Europe.

To work for someone there. It turned out that there was a client of mom's that knew a soccer player. I am a disgrace to sports. Unless you count dancing as one of them. I rock at that. Really. I just stick to my piano and music. Besides, soccer isn't really that big here in America. Mom is from Spain, dad is from Colombia, but I was born in Colombia. So. Nice mix, eh? I have deep blue ocean eyes and my hair is as curly as can be. It's awful annoying. I keep it up so it can be away from my eyes. Caramel for my skin, which I really like since most of the people here are white. No offense to them. I don't understand why I get so off topic in these things. All I've been trying to do is explain how I got here in the first place. Sheesh. The lady that knew the soccer player - I forget his name- said that he needed someone to help around the house. Just to keep it clean and tidied up for when he would get home and such, even though he is rarely there. Or so I've been told. Cook as well. I actually got pretty good at that because when mom started coming home late I started making dinner for her and for my friends that would stay over a few times. Apparently I was an alright cook since nobody ever complained that the chicken was too dry or that the rice was sticky. My mom said that fifty percent of what he'll pay me goes for me. The rest goes to the car.. that I did not crash.

Who in their right mind kicks her daughter out of the house and kicks her all the way to Europe to pay a damaged car? All the way across the Atlantic ocean? Mom does. That's who.

I just sat in a plane for sixteen hours..to work for someone that everybody says I'm supposed to know. Natalia better feel bad since she's the one at fault. I love her way to much to go through with what I'm going through. Actions speak louder than words or so they say. Sad days. The summer just started and I'm working. How boring. I know only two languages, but thank God for that. Spanish and English. Once I got my suitcase out of the airport and into a cab I told the driver to take me to the adress of the soccer player's house. The driver said of course, and it took him about an hour to get there. I was so tired from sitting so long! I wanted to stand and dance around. Wiggle my way through Spain. Once I got there he took my suitcases out and I gave him however many euros he told me to give him. I forget a lot of things. To tell you the truth, I have no idea what his name is. The soccer player's. I had written it down somewhere but I forgot. So. For the directions I wrote 'Soccer Player's House.' Pretty catchy eh? I thought so.

Now here I was. Standing in front of his house and trying to not act like the child I am. I'm thinking of what to say.. I wonder if he knew english? I don't even care. I took a breath and knocked on the door. Nobody answered. I knocked again.. nobody answered. Then I saw a sheet of paper stuck to the door. It read as follows:

Oye,
estoy en el trabajo y no estaré en casa hasta alrededor de seis.
Siéntase libre establecerse y nosotros hablaremos siempre que llegue a casa.
-Fernando
(Hey,
I am at work and won't be home until around six.
Feel free to settle down and we will talk whenever I get home.
-Fernando)

Fernando was his name. That's the one. I turned the knob and it was open. You know I never really pay attention to the views around me because I'm so sucked into what I'm doing. I should take around and do that sometime. To see if Spain is as beautiful as some say. Mom said that Spain was pretty. It's around.. afternoon here? I checked my watch then realized that I forgot to change the time. I should be super tired. Jetlag. I'm not. Must be all that coffee I took on the plane. So. I looked around and his house was actually pretty nice. It wasn't big, but it wasn't small either. It was one of those spanish houses that you would see on the Discovery channel.. all nice and tidied up. There were a few messes, but not that much. Mostly the kitchen which was completely full of dishes in the sink. Did this guy not even care that flies could get in by leaving those dirty and out like that? I guess not. Before I started thinking on what to do.

I called the mom first. She picked up after the first ring. "Hey Sweetie. How's everything?" She asked in such a sincere voice. I wonder if she was crying again. "I just got to his place and he's not here. He left a note. Hey mom. It's okay to cry.." So maybe I was hoping not to tell her, but we're parted by the ocean she couldn't really do anything. "Oh, I just miss him so much." She wept on the phone. This isn't what I planned. I didn't want this! "It's okay mom. Just letting you know that I'm here and that I'll be working hard. Remind me again why I had to come all the way to Europe to pay for the damage of a car?" I asked her demanding in a playful tone. "It's better for you to work without any interruptions and I wanted you to have some independence. It won't be so bad. I gave you extra cash and such. So really. It's not a bad idea. Oh. Since you have to stay there until the whole deal is sorted out. You're going to college there this fall." My mouth fell open and I gripped my cell. I wanted to break it. To never speak to this woman that's called my mother. I wanted to yell at her. I wanted to kill her. I couldn't. " Mom you know how important Julliard is to me. You know how hard I've worked for this." I said trying to calm down. " I know sweetie, which is why I did it. Sometimes you have to give things up in order to achieve something. You can find the college you want to go to and such. You're an adult baby." I sighed and told her goodbye. Apparently it was around five here since I asked what time it was there.

I went upstairs and took the closest room possible. This house had four..I guessed the master bedroom was Fernando's and one of them was a study. Then I unpacked everything and settled myself. Score! I got a bathroom to myself. Yay for that. I got my bag of toiletries and put it in the cabinet. I packed clothes for about a month, which was okay. I knew how to do my laundry. College did you that deal. I was finally all settled so I looked around the house while I listened to my iPod. It was too quiet in the house to not listen to music. I had brought my iPod speaker so I could listen to it while I clean and take a shower. It would be way too boring if it was this quiet every single day. Ain't No Other Man by Cristina Aguilera started playing so I had to dance along while I noticed that there was a porche outside downstairs and upstairs. How quaint. Very nice. I moved my butt side to side as I went down the railing and saw nature. The sun was setting, but slowly. The skies had changed colors to blues, and violets, and reds, and oranges. It was very pretty. I walked backwards until my body hit the door and I opened them not looking away from the setting before me. Shimmying my shoulders I had collided with someone. Just a little bit. I didn't fall since it wasn't a very hard push, and I turned around.

This tall man standing next to my 5'4 was interesting. He had long blond hair almost to his shoulders, which didn't look bad at all. He had freckles all over his face which made him look even more exotic than he was. The way that his chocolate brown eyes looked into my surprised sapphire ones seemed to sink into me. Speak! "Er. Hi. You must be Fernando." I said extending my hand out while pressing pause on my pod to my side. "Hi." He stared at me as if I was an idiot. "Oh! My name is Maria Valentina." I had forgotten to give him my name. How great. " Maria Valentina. Do you speak Spanish?" He asked me curiously. "Si. Si lo hablo.(Yes. Yes I do Speak it." I said confidently. He eyed me and it seemed as though he was testing me to see if I was capable enough of the work. I waved a hand in front of his face. "Hello?" I asked him. "They didn't tell me who was going to be working for me. I never expected it to be a girl as young as you." Interesting. "Uh. Okay. So. The deal is I just clean your house and make it look nice while you're gone right?" Please say that's all I have to do. "Yes. That would be it. Ocasionally go out and buy the groceries. You're basically taking care of the house." He simply said. I wonder if he saw me dancing? "Sounds good to me. I'll keep out of your way. No worries about that." I cracked a smile. He looked at me. "What?" I implied. "Nada. Eres muy interesante. (Nothing. You're very interesting.)" Oh. Well you should've said that while I was dancing.. did he see me? "Me viste bailar? (Did you see me dancing?)" Please say no. Please say no. "Si. Si te vi. Estas loca muchacha.(Yes, yes I saw you. You are crazy girl.)" Whatever. Maybe he was the crazy one. With that said he turned around and went upstairs. While doing so he started laughing all the way to his room so I could hear him laugh at me. I need to remind myself to call mom and tell her thank you.