Chemistry of a Car Crash

Mommy Dearest

The next morning Maddie’s phone began blaring next to her ear. Why it was put there, who knows.

“Hello?” She answered hoarsely.
“Bout time you answered!” Rian said sounding worried, “You didn’t answer any of my calls last night.”

Maddie got up from where she was laying and found Taylor passed out on the floor in the hall way. She held her head as she sat up on her bed, flipping the covers over and crawling under them. Maddie groaned once her head touched the pillow.

“Are you okay?” Rian asked.
“Y-Yeah,” Maddie said closing her eyes.
“You sure?”
“I’m fine,” She said giving a weak smile even though he couldn’t see it, “Just a little hung over.”

“Hung over?” Rian asked a bit shocked, and a little too loud for Maddie.
“Ow,” She moaned.
“You got wasted after we left!?” He yelled.
“It was just me and Taylor!” Maddie defended and heard Taylor stirring in the hall.
“You are just as bad as Alex!”
“Why?” Maddie asked confused.
“First thing he did was go to the back of the lounge and pour himself a drink!”
“Oh shut the hell up,” Maddie scowled, “Like you’ve never been hung over before.”

“At least I wasn’t drunk when my boyfriend called his mother to go check on me,” Rian said sounding rather pissed.

Maddie gulped, “He called his mother?”

“We left and you weren’t answering so he had to make sure you were alright,” Rian explained.
“SO HE CALLED HIS MOTHER!?” Maddie screamed and then realized that was a bad idea.
“She’s the only one close to you guys,” Rian shrugged, “Just don’t freak out.”

“Maddison?” A woman’s voice called out from downstairs.

“I have to go Rian,” Maddie whispered, “Tell Alex he’s dead when he gets home.”
“Alright,” Rian laughed and Maddie hung up quickly.

“What happened?” Mrs. Gaskarth said standing near Taylor who was still asleep in the hall.

Maddie shrugged, “I guess she never made it to bed.”

Mrs. Gaskarth leaned down and woke Taylor up, directing her to her room.

“Late night?” She said walking into Maddie’s room and sitting on the edge of the bed.
“You could say that,” Maddie said trying not to look guilty.

“Alex said he was worried about you last night,” She said resting a hand on Maddie’s calf, “I didn’t believe him, but now I see why.”

“I’m really sorry about having him call you,” Maddie apologized.
“It’s alright dear,” She smiled warmly, “I missed having you around.”

“Those were the good days,” Maddie sighed and then put her hands to her aching head.

“Hold on,” Mrs. Gaskarth said getting up and grabbing a few pills out of her purse. Maddie grabbed the bottle of water next to her bed and took the pills from her. Mrs. Gaskarth walked into Taylor’s room also giving her the pills and then returning to Maddie’s bedside.

“I always have advil in my purse,” She said sitting back down, “I learned that from Alex and Zack.”

“Zack?” Maddie said surprised.
“You wouldn’t believe how many times he’d sleep over at our house,” She said sweetly.
“I’d never seen Zack as a drinker.”
“I’d never seen you as a drinker either.”
“I’m still sorry that he called you over,” Maddie apologized again.
“If it weren’t for me dear, you’d probably be in much more pain that you are right now.”
“Thanks Mrs. Gaskarth,” Maddie said giving a friendly smile.