Status: This won't be updated as much because of school.

What's Your Story?

11

After they got their story Kylie and Conner stayed to speak with Travis for a few minutes before excusing themselves. The rain had stopped but it had gotten colder during the hour that they spent in the ice cream shop.

“Do you still want to head to the market place?” Conner asked.

Kylie checked her watch; it was a few minutes after three. “No, we can go tomorrow. It’s getting close to dinner. Why don’t we go back to the hotel and figure out where we want to eat and I’ll check my email. We can just relax for a little.”

“Are you feeling all right?” Conner asked once they turned around to head for the Holiday Inn.

“Yes, why?”

“Because instead of wanting to go to a place where there are possible stories you’d rather go relax and eat.”

“I just…I don’t know. Do you want to go to the market place?”

“Not now, I’m just surprised is all.”

“Let’s go. What do you want for dinner?”

Conner glanced at Kylie. “I get to choose dinner?”

Kylie huffed in frustration and stopped near a building. “If you don’t stop questioning me then I’m going to pick everything while we’re here! Do you want that?”

She looked so hilarious to Conner, her hands were in fists and placed on her hips and she was scowling up at him.

“No,” answered Conner as he tried to suppress a grin and the laughter in his voice. “I was just surprised. You usually like to choose dinner because it is, in your opinion, the most fattening meal especially after a long day. I just thought you would want to choose the place.”

“No, I’ll be kind and let you choose. Can you just make sure they have some healthy choices, please?”

“Of course, I think you would bite off my head if the place didn’t have salad. Let’s go see if there’s an Applebee’s or Friday’s around.”

They started walking back to the hotel. It was getting darker and chillier out.

“I think we’re going to get snow soon,” Conner said, looking up at the sky.

Kylie shook her head. “It’s too early for snow.”

“Not if it’s cold enough.”

The two of them debated whether it would be able to snow or not the rest of the walk. When they finally got inside the hotel lobby Kylie fell on the nearest chair in relief.
“I’m frozen,” she complained in a tiny voice.

“You need a better jacket,” Conner told her. “Do you just want to stay in and order a pizza or something?”

“No, but can we take the car when we go out?”

“Sure. Let me find out where the nearest place is.”

Conner went to the front desk where a man told him that an Applebee’s was ten minutes away. Conner got directions and he and Kylie headed out to his car.

“I have a feeling that I’m going to be tired of this car when we get home,” Kylie said as Conner pulled out of the parking space.

The drive wasn’t long; they reached the restaurant a few minutes after four o’clock. It wasn’t extremely busy; they had beaten the dinner rush. Inside was warmer but still held the chill that restaurants had year round. The hostess led them to a table for two, told them about the day’s specials, and left.

Kylie lifted her menu and looked through it. “What are you getting?”

“A Bud and a bacon cheeseburger. What kind of salad are you getting?”

“Why do you automatically assume that I’m going to get a salad?” Kylie shot at her friend. “I might want to et something different.”

“Ky, in the few years I’ve known you, you’ve barely gotten anything other than a salad when we go out to a place like Applebee’s. Sometimes you’ll get fires but that’s only if you’ve had a really good month. I know that this month hasn’t been the best because you’ve been reviewing old stories and planning for the next book. Plus Thanksgiving’s next week and you always allow yourself to have tow pieces of pumpkin pie. That means that you’re going to be eating only healthy food for a while.” Conner had spoken nonchalantly as he skimmed through the menu.

A young woman came over to their table. She pulled a notepad out of her apron pocket and grabbed the pen that rested behind her ear.

“Hello, I’m Mary and I’ll be your waitress today. Can I start you off with something to drink?”

“I’ll have a Budweiser, please.”

“Okay, and for you?” she asked Kylie.

“Iced tea.”

“Okay, I’ll be right back.” Mary walked away to another table.

“After this we really need to take a break for each other,” Kylie said, continuing the conversation where it had led off. “We know too much about each other.”

Conner looked at Kylie over his menu. “We’re friends; we’re supposed to know a lot about each other.”

Mary came back with their drinks. “Are you ready to order?”

Conner nodded. “I’ll have a bacon cheeseburger with Swiss cheese and no mayo.”

“And I’ll have a chicken Caesar salad, please,” Kylie said while handing her menu to Mary.

Conner smirked as Mary walked away. “I was right.”

“Shut up. I’m just not in the mood for anything else. So, when we get back to the room I’ll check my email and then we can plan for tomorrow and get a tentative schedule for the next few days ready. Did you want to sight see or anything?”

“No, I’ll do that when we’re out of state. How many stories a day are you willing to do?”

“It depends on the stories, how tired I am, and how many people schedule interviews. I really hope we don’t have many stupid stories.”

“What happened to your saying ‘there are no stupid stories, there are just stories that aren’t going to be in the book because there’s no substance’?” Conner asked before taking a sip of his beer.

“That was almost two years before the Laurel story fiasco,” Kylie dramatically shivered.

“Oh yeah, I forgot about Loopy Laurel. The week after that was miserable, you wouldn’t stop going on and on about her.”

“You didn’t have to sit there for overran hour with that drunk woman. She just rambled on and on about that strawberry garden, I think she was listening to Strawberry Fields Forever on repeat before she spoke to me. That was honestly the stupidest story I’ve ever heard in my whole life. Oh, thank you,” Kylie said to Mary as her salad was placed in front of her.

“Do you still have Laurel’s story?”

Kylie thought for a moment, absentmindedly playing with her food. “Probably on the computer. I save every story, even the bad ones. I made a reject story file and I think I made sure hers was the first. When we get back I’ll look it up.”

“Okay, now eat.”

Kylie gave her friend a look before taking a large bite of her salad. A few minutes later Mary came by with Conner’s burger. While they ate in silence they people watched in the restaurant and out of the large window they sat next to. Outside grew steadily darker and while they were waiting for the bill the rain started.

“It looks like we’re going to have a lovely week,” Kylie said while they were in the car.
“You never know, tomorrow it could be beautiful out.”

Conner’s words were drowned out as the rain picked up and drops pounded against the vehicle. Kylie laughed at Conner’s face, he just shook his head.

“It’ll pass,” he said as the rain continued to assault the car.

It was still pouring when they got back to the hotel, though. Connery dropped Kylie off before parking the car. When he ran into the lobby his coat was soaked. He shook it off outside before following Kylie to the elevator.

When they got to their room, Kylie immediately shut the curtains. Conner took a quick shower and Kylie changed into her warmer pair of pajamas, a pair of sweats and a thermal. While she waited for Conner she started up her laptop and made a cup of tea.

Kylie turned on the TV and flipped through the channels before settling on Family Guy. The first thing she signed onto when the laptop was on was her email followed by her Myspace. She had seventeen messages all together for interviews. She sifted through them; eight were for the next day, three for Tuesday the seventeenth, and six for Wednesday the eighteenth.

She looked through all of the messages for the next day. The earliest was at nine o’clock and the woman wanted to meet at a diner for breakfast. After looking through al of the emails she sent four confirmations for Monday, all three for Tuesday, and four for Wednesday. She made up a schedule and talked Conner through it. Kylie was feeling truly excited for the first time during the trip.