Status: This won't be updated as much because of school.

What's Your Story?

2

Conner lived on the entire top floor of an apartment building. It was half living area, half office. Walking into the apartment you wouldn’t think a single, twenty-six year old man lived there.

Conner was one of the most disorganized people Kylie knew yet he was one of the cleanest. He would loose papers that were important for the next book but he knew they were in one of the numerous filing cabinets that were all over.

Kylie let herself inside with the key Conner had made for her. Inside it was clean as usual except for a plate and mug on the coffee table.

“Hello?” Kylie called out while closing the door and taking off her shoes.

“You better be holding one amazing story, Ky,” a voice called form behind the bathroom door.

“It is, I swear. Do you have anything to drink?” she asked, already heading towards the kitchen.

“Have anything.”

After looking through the refrigerator Kylie chose a beer and took one out for Conner. He was sitting on the couch, flipping through Kylie’s notebook. His long brown hair fell over his eyes as he looked down.

“It’s title Prom Dress Loraine.”

Prom Dress?” Conner looked up to shoot his friend a skeptical look.

“It’s explained, just read.”

While he read the hastily written story Kylie walked over to the balcony and looked out at New York. The streets were overcrowded, the sky full of smog, but she loved the state she’d grown up in. She sipped her beer, smiling when Conner made his criticizing noises, a sigh here, a snort there meant she had done something right and he was considering the story for the next book.

“Well, it’s short but I suppose when you add in actions and other descriptions it’ll turn out fine,” he finally said.

Kylie turned around, a large grin on her face. “It’s in?”

“It’s in.”

“Yes!” she hurried over and sat on the couch next to Conner. “Now what did you have to tell me?”

“Well I had this idea.”

“Oh dear.” Conner was always coming up with crazy ideas.

“Just listen. What if instead of just looking for stories in New York you go around the country? Or even the East Coast. You get so many emails from people, saying they have great stories. This is your chance to get more for the book!”

“I don’t know…”

“Come on, Ky. It’ll be fun and I’ll be there with you.”

“You’re coming? That’s it, I’m definitely not going.” She laughed when Conner began to pout.

“It’ll be fun!”

“Yes, until we begin to get on each other’s nerves and I end up throwing you out of the car in the middle of nowhere.”

“That won’t happen.”

Kylie scoffed and patted Conner’s arm softly. “You are so naïve. Sure at first we’ll get along swimmingly-”

“Did you seriously just say ‘swimmingly’?”

“Yes now shut up.” She cleared her throat and continued. “At first everything will be fine. But after we’re in close quarters with each other for weeks we’ll start fighting. First it’ll be small things like what music to listen to and where we’ll eat. Eventually I’ll be on my period-”

“Gross!” Conner exclaimed and covered his ears. “I’m not listening, I’m so not listening!”

“You’re such an idiot.” Kylie sighed, blowing her bangs out of her eyes. She pulled at Conner’s arms until he took his hands away from his ears. “See? This sort of stuff will happen. And you know when I’m on my period,” she gripped Conner’s arms tightly, “I’m a total bitch who wants to kill everyone in my path. You will most likely get hit a lot and if you hit back, you’re dead.”

“It won’t be that bad.”

“You really want to do this?” Conner nodded his head enthusiastically, a large grin on his face. “Why?”

“It’ll be fun and it’ll make the book a lot more interesting to get stories from a different setting. Almost all of the ones we’ve had so far have been from cities; it’s time for a new backdrop.”

Conner stayed smiling as Kylie stared at him and bit her lip. He looked so excited and she didn’t want to upset him but she knew this would most likely end badly. The idea of making the book the best it could be was winning over her hesitation.

“All right,” she said finally with a long sigh. “I’ll go on two conditions. One, you have to make all the arrangements and two, don’t blame me when things go badly.”

“This is going to be awesome!” Conner shouted, pulling Kylie into a huge hug.