Status: This won't be updated as much because of school.

What's Your Story?

4

“Wakie, wakie, Sleeping Beauty!” an overly cheerful voice broke through the sleepiness in Kylie’s mind.

She twitched and tried to turn over but met the coffee table which she had moved next to the couch to prevent her from falling.

“The hell?” She mumbled, turning again, this time hitting the back of the couch.

“You’re the one that wanted to get out early to shop,” Conner said in a sweet voice from above her.

“Screw you,” she muttered, flipping him off.

“You’re so cute when you’re pissed,” he laughed.

“What time is it?” Kylie asked, covering her head with the blanket. Sunlight shined through the fabric.

“Nine.”

“Why? I told you I was coming over at ten-thirty.”

“I know but I got a call real early and after that I couldn’t fall back asleep so I thought ‘Hey, Kylie wants to shop all day so why not get a head start?’ and here I am. Plus the sooner we get done, the better.”

“You better make me coffee and a damn good breakfast.”

“I’ll get right on that while you actually get up and shower.”

“I hate you,” Kylie groaned.

There was a pause and then the comforter was ripped off of Kylie’s body, there was a tiny noise as the blanket hit the ground.

“I’ll be back in five minutes to make sure you’re up.” Conner said. From the kitchen Kylie could hear him singing alone to the radio and he was making sure to create a lot of noise with the dishes.

Kylie stayed on the couch for another minute before giving up on falling back asleep. She sat up and blinked against the bright light. The curtains which were usually closed this early were pulled open and the window was open a few inches. Kylie got up and slammed the window shut then pulled the curtains together.

She went to her bedroom to find clothes for the day. It was warmer than it had been during the week but it was still cool out. She finally decided on a pair of old jeans, a thermal, and a cami to go underneath.

Her shower was short because the warm water made her more tired and after ten minutes Conner began to bang on the door.

“Save some water for the rest of the city!” He shouted, then laughed.

Kylie just shook her head and continued to wash conditioner out of her hair. She finished up and changed. After hanging up her towel, Kylie went to her room and shut the door while she did her hair and makeup. There was a knock at the door and Conner slowly opened he door.

“I’ll be out in five minutes!” Kylie snapped.

“I didn’t hear anything so I wanted to make sure you didn’t fall asleep or anything.”

“Conner, I never sleep in my bed,” Kylie looked at her bed which was covered with everything from a mixture of dirty and clean clothes to hair things like brushes and a curler to numerous notebooks, loose papers, and pens both working and empty of ink. “It would take me a month to clean that thing off and another month to get used to it; a quick nap isn’t going to happen anytime soon.”

“You’re such a mess,” Conner said with a shake of his head.

“Well sorry that I’m not as perfect as you. Can you just leave?”

“Fine,” he huffed. “I’ll be in the kitchen.” As he shut the door Kylie thought she heard him sigh, “Women.”

Kylie threw an empty container of concealer at the door. She put a head band in her hair, she loved how innocent it looked, and examined herself in the mirror. There wasn’t anything else to do and the delicious scents from Conner’s breakfast were getting to her.

Music was coming from the kitchen radio and Conner bobbed his head to the beat as ate. Kylie’s kitchen was bright, the walls were already yellow when she moved in and she just added to that with pictures of flowers and roosters. Even her table was yellow with wooden chairs that she’d gotten from her mother.

“What’d you put in the coffee?” Kylie asked Conner after she sat down. She lifted the ‘Life’s a bitch’ mug and sniffed it.

“Your normal stuff,” Conner said with an eye roll. “Three huge spoonfuls of sugar and half-and-half.”

Kylie stuck her tongue out at Conner and took a sip of her drink. It was fine, not the best but good enough for a morning boost. They ate in silence until Conner finished eating.

“Where are we going anyway?”

“Mall,” Kylie said simply.

“Are you gonna stay mad at me all day?”

“I don’t know; see this is what you’ll have to deal with on the trip.”

“I can handle it.”

“Yeah okay.”

Conner cleaned up the mess he made while Kylie finished getting ready. She was packing her bag when someone knocked at the door.

“Conner, stay away from that door or I’ll hit you.” Kylie called. She grabbed her bag and went to the living room. Conner stood by the couch and stared at the door.

Kylie checked the peephole and stepped back with a confused expression she opened the door and Amber bounced in.

“Amber, what are you doing here?” Kylie asked, her hand on the doorknob. The door still stood open and Kylie made no move to close it.

“You two are going shopping right?”

Kylie replied warily, “Yes.”

“Well I asked you if I could come but you were so distracted by your show. So can I join you? Oh!” She looked at Conner as though she had just noticed he was there. “Hi, Conner! How are you?”

“I’m good, yourself?”

“Great!” She turned back to Kylie. “So what do you say? Can I come with you?”

The three of them stood in silence until Kylie seemed to realize that Amber had asked her a question.

“Uh, let me just talk to Conner for one moment. We’ll be right back.” Kylie shut the door and dragged Conner to her bedroom. She closed the door with a sharp snap and turned to Conner. “She can’t come with us.”

“Why not? She’s a nice girl.”

“She’s annoying!”

“So? Come on, Ky, be a good person.”

“Fine but you’re in charge of her and if she annoys me and something should happen I’m not being held responsible.”

“All right.”

The two of them went back to the living room where Amber was sitting on the couch. She jumped up when they came into the room.

“You can come but keep up and know we’re on a mission,” Kylie said shortly. She grabbed her bag and held the door open for Amber and Conner; they left the apartment quickly with Kylie behind them.