Can't Fight the Moonlight

I

The wind picked up around me as I kept walking onward to the movie theatre with my arms weightlessly swinging at my sides. The slashed black thickness known as my bangs overlaps my eyebrows, doing their job of keeping the street lights’ shine out of my eyes. In a few moments I should be at the little old theatre that ran the dollar movies. My stake, weapon of choice, was underneath my hoodie zipper; as soon as I unzip it’d fall effortlessly into my hand where it belongs.

The pavement is in poor condition in this neighborhood; cracks turning a slab into a puzzle and chunks missing out of curbs look like a dentist’s worst nightmare. Trash cans are knocked over with graffiti written in every angle as papers and beer cans lie in the streets and on the surfaces of bushes. Dead bushes that seem to get no rain in this part of town, even though it almost is always gloomily looking down on the people who live here. Yeah, your basic city in this world; nothing out the normal here unless you don’t know above the vampires and demons that go bump and bang in the night, then that’s out of the normal.

And on cue I reach the theatre as a high pitched scream of bloody agony breaks the windy stillness. The terrible screaming of Anna Faris in Scary Movie 2, I sit down in a seat towards the middle and prop my feet up on the seat in front of me. With my job I don’t money, I get the satisfaction of saving lives, or so Ivanna tells me. The owner of this old place, an eccentric six foot man with no real life, let’s me come in as I please to keep the place under pest control.

Ten minutes or so into the movie and the stake that’s pressed underneath my hoodie is itching against my skin. I pull it out and cradle it between my thin fingers. Never thought a thick little stick could do so much damage. A shuffle of voices stirs behind me and that’s when I look at a group of four kids fighting over a soda and popcorn. I let out an exasperated scoff and direct my attention back to my stake, I’ve seen this movie hundreds of times by now but it was the only one worth sitting through. And if a vampire decided to hang their fangs in one of the three other screen rooms I’d know, my big-bad-senses tingle.

The credits are rolling down the large screen twenty minutes later; I push myself up to my feet and brush stray strands of hair off of my neck. I love advertising.

“Hey doll,” One of the boys call as the group of them walk down the isle, these kids are going to make my night. His scrawny little eyes go over my body and he can only fantasize, I don’t waste my time on anyone, especially a teen boy who wouldn’t know what do with a flame thrower if one happened to get thrown at him.

“Why don’t you kids do yourself a favor and just walk by.” I take a few steps out of my row of seats and start walking towards the main exit to the lobby.

“Why don’t you stay still and don’t scream.” A crisp sound that could be mistaken for loose change in a tin can ripples through the calm air; I knew they’d make my night.

The mucked up carpeted floor had another pile of dust sautéed in as I turn around and thrust the chunk of wood through the boy that talked way too much for his own good. A yelp of un-expectancy broke from the lips of the second and third boys. The forth lunges at me as if he has a pair of fangs and with a kick to the shin to exercise my leg [that made a sickening crack], effortlessly I press the stake into his chest and he joins his buddy as a carpet ingredient. “Still want some boys?” I say smugly, taking a step back and twirling the stake slightly.

One, two, one-two, three and four; it’s like breaking a twig under your shoe. Four more piles of dust lay on the mucky floor; my job here is done, I turn on my sneak’ heels and leave out the exit.

“’Ello A.J., ‘ow was yer patrol?”

“Another dozen eat wood.” I reply, rummaging through the off white refrigerator. The set temperature of six is pressing against my face as I shift eggs and things out of my way. “I’m calling for a pizza since you don’t have anything good, cash please.” A clink of jars and bottle echoes through the door as I close it shut.

“Nothing good?” Ivanna scoffs as she reaches for her wallet purse.

“Have you heard from Eleanor tonight?”

“She happened to call earlier, something ‘bout she had plans tonight fer some sort of new spell, not to come home.”

“Look’s like I’m crashing here then,” I say, dialing the number of the twenty-four hour pizzeria. “Yes I’d like a small cheese pizza…Delivery…216-825-7688…yep that’s correct, okay.”

“Yeh order there too of’n.” I shake my head as I get comfy on her large leather recliner, catching the remote she tosses without shifting a speck. “I s’pose I’m going to bed then, there isn’t any evil rising that I need to inform yeh about and nothing heavy went down…G’night.”

“Night,”

Ivanna isn’t that bad, compared to the last prude I had as a Watcher…I suppose it isn’t very polite to speak of the dead that way but he was, never let this gig be any fun. I mean I’ve had my life taken away, my future so I can save the world. Least I should get some fun out of it.

“Be glad you didn’t come home last night,” Eleanor says loudly at the door, waking me up at glad. “…I made something go wrong and the electricity in the whole building went out, the repair people showed up half an hour ago…” Sitting up I smack my hand over my eyes, the sunlight pouring in through the thin plastic blinds. “Pizza again? Don’t you know any of the other food groups?”

“You think I wanna come home after a slay and fucking cook?”

“Language please,” I roll my make-up ruined eyes at Ivanna before throwing myself to my feet and off of the recliner.

“What time is it?”

“Nine,”

“Nine? Why shouldn’t I kill you?”

“Because I have news…”

“Is something brewing in the depths of the city?” Ivanna asks with this thick urgency in her voice that makes her accent stick out even more. El pulls out two sticks of paper… “They’re gathering-“

“Tickets,”

“Fer evil?”

“No, Bullet For My Valentine.” I gasp and tackle her to the floor with a loud, sickly thick thump. She moans out in discomfort but I’m too busy pulling away the tickets to really notice…or act like I notice.

“You didn’t!”

“You’re holding them, I did.” I stick out my tongue in a very happy grin. “It’s a week from two nights from now so get plenty of slayage in because that is your night off.” I clap with an excited squeal before throwing my arms around El, squeezing her tight. Light taps brush against my shoulders and I realize I’m like squeezing the life out of her…oops I did it again…
♠ ♠ ♠
And there is the first chapter to my new series ^_^
I hope you guys like it and if not that okie because I'm writing this for me =]
<3