V is for Vampire

V is for Vampire. Chaper 4 - Meeting.

More V is for Vampire can be found here: http://tomecity.com/smf/index.php?topic=119.0

Chapter 4 - Meeting.

If this woman was head of some company, it followed she had access to money. He could just go out and stick up some random punk of course, but that course of action hadn’t been too successful so far and it was unlikely he’d be able to pull in two grand that quickly. Maybe it was time to think bigger. Fat bitch bigger. If she was looking for Dmitri, then maybe she’d pay for information on his whereabouts.

Making his mind up, Dan took a deep breath, regretted it as he inhaled the stink of his upchuck, and stood up, full of purpose.

“It’s time to kick ass and take names… or something,” he said to the room, which didn’t reply.

Even though he’d made his decision, it still took a good hour before he was ready to embark on his newfound quest for funding. He’d decided it was better to tidy his room up a little first, or he’d have to come back to it later, and that would be worse.

Once that was done he had to find some clothes that didn’t make him look like he was a tramp. If the woman was in an office, he’d have to look the part. Unfortunately his ‘best’ clothes were covered in blood and dirt, and splattered with vomit.

Eventually he was ready, dressed in his second best jacket, an out of fashion black thing with mostly matching pants, which looked okay but were too short. Sighing, he scowled into the mirror. It would have to do.

The sun was low on the horizon when he stepped out, and he felt a twinge of nausea as he turned to face it. He hadn’t eaten in… how long? Yet he didn’t really feel like eating. Well, all to the good, as he had no money anyway.

He set out, walking up the street, which showed signs of recent rain. Dimitri had said the woman’s offices were on Stone Street. He knew the place and was mildly puzzled when now he thought about it a little more. Stone Street wasn’t in the business district. It was on the edge of Blackstone Park if he remembered correctly, in an up market residential district.

Of course, by the time he’d get there it would probably be closed for business for the day, but that was okay, it might serve him better to scout the place out, maybe break in and look around first. He could avoid Snake long enough to give him time to shake the fat woman down.

The Traffic increased as he plodded steadily onwards, rush hour was upon him. Smartly dressed men and women hurried past, not sparing a glace at those around them, intent on getting back to the warmth of their nice comfortable homes no doubt. Dan felt a sudden stab of envy, at a lifestyle denied to him. Fuckers! One day he’d have his payback, and then they’d see who was The Man.

The traffic eased off a little as he turned down towards Blackstone Park, which was away from the main routes, down a network of old, narrow streets.

Navigating by lamplight, he finally arrived at his destination and stopped. Of course, he didn’t know the exact address! He peered left and right, down a long street, inhabited only by a parked cars. At least there was only one row of houses, as across the road was the park, an unseen area of fairly nice gardens now masked by the night.

“Eeny meeny miny mo,” he chanted, pointing left and right as he recited the old rhyme. “Left it is then.”

He turned and was about to set off, when he was suddenly assailed by an overwhelming doubt. The feeling was so strong it made him stagger.

“Bugger, too long without food,” he muttered to himself. Still, he didn’t carry on left, but instead turned about and set off right. The feeling, whatever it was, subsided.

“Use the Force Luke,” Dan said to himself, standing on tip toes to peer over a hedge at the nearest building.

Examining the houses wasn’t easy. They were old structures, built in a time when people had servants and thus needed one floor for the Help to live in. Constructed from solid red brick, they loomed up into the dark, usually with little to no external lighting, which served to make any identification of offices difficult, to say the least.

“Fuck, this could take longer than I thought,” he muttered to himself as he peered through a wooden gate at the next house along.

In the end, it turned out to be easier than he thought. About five residences later was a pair of large wrought iron gates. Next to them was a plaque pronouncing the premises to be the local branch of Pan-Global. ‘Serving the Interests of the Community,’ read the tag line, under the logo, which was styled as a simple blue ball on a white background.

“What a load of bollocks,” muttered Dan to himself as he read it. “Serving themselves more like. For once I’d just like a company to be honest.”

Still, one of the gates was still open, and the large building standing beyond the large open area of gravel had lights on. He could just about make out a desk with someone behind it through the modern metallic door that had obviously replaced the original one.

“Well, may as well try the direct approach first,” sighed Dan, and, taking a deep breath to calm his nerves, he set off up the yard.

His feet scrunched on the gravel as he stalked steadily up towards the house. There were several large expensive looking black cars parked off to one side. Their silver grills seemed resemble mouths, snarling at him like high class watchdogs.

“Steady now,” Dan mumbled to himself. “Don’t go losing your nerve this late in the day.”

He arrived at the door, which slid open as he approached. A waft of ‘office’ smell blew gently into his face, and he stepped inside, onto a plush blue carpet, feeling more than a little out of place.

The reception area was fitted out in plush corporate style, with quality fixtures and fittings that made him feel even shabbier by comparison. The pastel painted walls were adorned with various works of modern art, adding a splash of color to the surroundings, and a luxurious light gray sofa sprawled in one corner, behind a low wooden table sporting a single bowl of fruit.

“Welcome to Pan-Global, how may we help you today?”

“Whu?” Dan gave off gawping at the furnishings and concentrated on the receptionist, who was smiling brightly at him from behind the metallic desk. She wore a navy suit over a pristine blouse and was smiling like it was going out of fashion. She was certainly a looker, with blond hair pulled back revealing a thin but pretty face with startling green eyes,

“Are you here to see someone?” she prompted.

“Er, ah, yes,” Dan managed to get out. He shook himself mentally and pulled himself together. “I wish to see, er, your boss. Is she in?”

“Ms. Rudac is in a meeting at the moment, but she’ll be out soon I’m sure. Do you have an appointment?”

“No, sorry,” Dan replied, tugging at his jacket and feeling like a little boy sent to see the principal.

The bright smile seemed to fade a fraction for a split second, but recovered to its former glory quickly enough. “Well, I’m sure she’ll see you. Please take a seat, I’ll let her know you are here, Mr…?”

“Denver, Dan Denver,” Dan said, trying not to feel like James Bond.

“Fine, please take a seat Mr. Denver.” She picked up a phone and dialed a few numbers as he made his way over to the sofa and allowed himself to sink into its soft cushions.

“She’ll see you shortly,” said the receptionist.

Dan nodded in way of reply, and tried to look nonchalant.

The office lapsed into silence, the only sound a clock on the wall behind the reception desk ticking away the seconds. The woman sat still and waited, barely moving, looking ahead at the door with a blank expression.

Strange, thought Dan. Like a robot or something.

Time passed, marked only by the ticking of the clock. After a few moments, Dan reached forward and plucked a banana from the bowl, only to discover it was plastic.

“Typical,” he muttered, replacing the fake fruit.

“Ms. Rudac will see you now,” announced the secretary, suddenly animating, and making him jump.

Dan wondered how she knew, as there hadn’t been any phone calls or anything, but shrugged to himself and stood up.

“Down the corridor, the door at the end.”

He nodded at the woman, and followed her directions, attempting to look as professional as he could.

The hallway was decorated in the same style as the reception area, with six or seven plain wooden doors to either side. At the end was a large door in the same style. The only difference was a simple plaque half way up sporting the information: ‘Rebecca Rudac, Chief of Operations.’

Bracing himself mentally, Dan raised his hand to knock.

“Enter Mr. Denver,” came a strong female voice from the other side.

Fist still in the air, Dan jumped. Shaking his head, he turned the knob and went in.

Beyond was another office. Although decorated in the same basic color scheme, this one seemed even more luxurious than outside. Several large plants were placed around the edge, giving it a comfortable atmosphere. However, the eye was dragged towards the desk placed in the center of the room.

The thing was a monster. It must have weighed a ton, and was made as it was of what appeared to be solid mahogany. Several trees must have given their lives for the thing.

Behind it was the woman from the photograph. She looked more intimidating in the flesh, and though she was certainly large, she didn’t seem to be fat but simply ‘big boned’. A mass of black hair was restrained in a tight bun, though it seemed only barely under control to Dan. She wore a plain black dress with the only adornment a heavy silver necklace. Her face was round, and strangely forgettable, with the exception of two intensely dark eyes that were examining her visitor keenly.

“I see,” she said, apparently to herself. Then, louder: “Please, take a seat.” She gestured to a comfortable looking office chair on Dan’s side of the huge desk.

“Thank-you,” he replied, somewhat nervously. The woman scared him.

“So, what do you have for me?” she said, leaning forward.

“How do you know I have anything for you?” Dan replied, trying to put on an air of mystery.

She smiled. “You’d be surprised what I know about you already.”

“Really?” Dan raised an eyebrow and leaned back, attempting to be nonchalant and cool, though he was shaking inside.

“Really. Now, are you going to sit there shivering, or are we going to do business?”

Scowling, Dan sat up. “Alright then. I have information for you, but I need cash and some information from you in return.”

She didn’t move. “Go on.”

“What do you know about someone called Dmitri?”

The corners of her mouth twitched. “He’s a person of… interest to me.”

Dan raised an eyebrow in a questioning manner. “And?”

The woman tapped her desk for a moment and looked thoughtful, then she seemed to make her mind up about something.

“I tell you what Daniel. I’ll make you a deal. Tell me where he is, and I’ll let you go. I know what you are becoming, and usually my organization would deal with you. One way or another. However, if you help me with this, I’ll leave you alone; maybe throw you a bone here and there. We can be allies. I’ll even tell you some things that you might find useful. How does that sound?”

She smiled, an expression that didn’t suit her.

“What do you say?”
♠ ♠ ♠
After only three years, another chapter is posted on Mibba!