Broken City Sky

Escape the Fate

As the famous line goes, "when you get to High School everything changes".
Don't doubt that line for a minuet.
Through all the cliques, rumors, and cat fights, you realize who your true friends are, even if you all pinki-swore you'd be best friends 'til the end.

Like a trypical High School you have the Jocks with the cheer-leaders in the centre table, the Geeks on the far left, the Preggo's and Poets on the right, the "Normal" kids standing around and fitting in where ever. And then there is us; we sat in the far back, trying to avoid society but it somehow managed to make our lives a living Hell.
There was seven of us and forty of everyone else. People judged us a lot because we dared to be different, because our pant's were "too tight", or our make-up was "too dark". It grew old fast.

"Oh, for fuck sakes" Jade cussed, quickly grabbing a handful of napkins and throwing it on the puddle of apple juice that splatterd over his lunch tray. He sighed heavily, and his jagged hair swooshed deeper over his pale face. "Can't win"
I looked up at him and smirked. "You fail"
"Aw, Bitch" he replied and stuck his tongue out
"Hey now," Cristina piped in "just becuase you're brother and sister does not mean you can be negative"
Jade and I quickly turned our head's towards the awkward comment.
"Are you serious?" I laughed
"Getting them to stop beating each other up is like getting you to hang-out with them" Jessikuh, who we refferd to as 'Roach', quickly tossed a thumb over her shoulder towards the Jocks.
"Yeah, you have a point" Cristina nodded
"Indeed she does" Jade smirked
"Hey Jade, how're things between you and Ryan" Roach asked, tightening her hand around Corbin's.
"Good" he smirked then took a glance around the cafeteria for him.

Yes, my brother is gay, and I really couldn't be happier for him. Of course, our parents thought otherwise, and when it slipped out that I was bi-sexual they kicked the both of us out. Our whole family dissowned us.

"Hey Jade" a familliar voice shook me out of my thoughts. I looked up only to see Oliver. I rolled my eyes at the immature fuck. I watched Jade nervously ignore Oli. "Jade" he said louder causing attention from the busy cafeteria.
"What?" he snapped but avoided turning around
"Get checked for H.I.V yet?" he laughed, along with his dumb posse.
"That's not funny you dumb Bimbo" I snapped "If you had some common sense you would know H.I.V / A.I.D.S can be spread to anyone. Even straight people."
He waved off my smart-ass remark like he was still one up on me.
"What ever, Gothie. See you in History" he chuckled and walked back to popularity.
"Ugh what a Prick" Corbin grumbled. His free hand was in a tight ball. "I was so close to punching him out"
"Aren't we all?" Willie, Cristina's boyfriend, said for the first time all lunch.
"Damn right" I hissed. Before I could blink Jade jumped up from the table and bolted out of the cafeteria.
"Fuck" I breathed. "You guys stay" I said quickly, running after my brother.
"Emo!" the Jocks screamed. I flipped them the finger before darting out of the school.

"Jade!" I called out. The cold winter air quickly filled my lungs and froze my call, I coughed but kept running.
The snow coverd ground, and lightly falling snow combined into one white blur as my eyes waterd from the cold. "Jade" I breathed. I turned into a beaten up alley way connected to the rundown apartments we call home; grafittie was the only thing bright about this place. "Jade" I repeated kneeling infront of him. His face was burried in his hands and knees. I reached my hand out and gently rubbed his shoulder. "Please don't let him get to you, you're stronger than that"
"I can't take it Shay" he snapped and slammed a fist into the cold pavement. "I'm teased everyday for who I am"
I sighed and sat down infront of him pulling him into a motherly hug. "I know Jade, but sadly, that's the way the world is. Noone wants to see the rainbow. We all get teased, and as hard as it is to cope right now, you have to show them you're strong."
"I've been trying but it's only making everything worse. I'm not strong Shamaya. I'm sorry"
"Don't be sorry" I whisperd running my hand through his messy black hair; it calmed him down. "You are who you are."
He pulled out of our hug and smiled a little. "Thanks Sis"
"Now," I breathed wiping stray tears from his eyes "I have to go back to school. If you're not coming back I understand, but call Ryan to come over for the night OK?"
"Where will you go?" he asked as we stood up.
"I don't know" I thought and shrugged. "I'll find stuff to do."
He sighed and ran an icey finger down my face. "I love you, you're the best Sister a kid could ask for. Thank you"
I smiled and ruffled his hair. "Now get inside, it's cold. See you tomorrow."

I arrived back just in time for lunch to be over. I stopped in my tracks and turned on the spot up the stairs to History.

"How's Emo?" Oli smirked and proudly walked to the back corner.
"Are his wrists a flowing river of red lines?" Martina smirked and twirled her light brown hair.
I gripped the side of my desk. I could feel my fingertips changing colour. The sad thing is, if Oli wasn't such a stuck up prick, he'd be stunning. I always mentally slapped myself for that but I hid it well.
His dark brown hair matched his long, thin, face and hazel eyes perfectly. I could just picture him with layers and a lip piercing. My heart jumped everytime, but that was just reality coming to smack me in the face. I twirled my pencil in thought. What if there was more to Oli than meets the eye? What if, deep inside, he was like one of us? Gay even. I ponderd on the thought for a while then mentally shrugged it off. It was impossible, he was nothing more than an imature bully with the IQ of a gold fish.
Still twirling my pencil, I slightly pushed my bleached hair out of my face. Mr. Ballto liked to see everyones eyes so he knew they didn't fall asleep during one of his boring lectures.
"And so!" he said rather loudly snapping me out of my thoughts. "I've assigned each of you partners in which you will work with, and put a project together on one of the Gods in Greek Mythology." I stared down at his old hand that was gently placed on my desk. "Miss Shamaya McKarthy, you will be partners with Mr. Oliver Patton."
Suddenly the small chats in the classroom fell silent, and my eyes almost fell out of their sockets.
"Ugh" Courtney grunted. I could picture her flicking her hair back in disgust. "That has to be a mistake."
"No mistake Miss LaPray" Mr. Ballto shook his head "Now, Oliver, if you'd be so kind to sit next to your partner." He tapped the empty seat beside me.
"Fuck sakes" I mumbled under my breath. I turned my attention to the board and ignored the imbosyl beside me.
"Hey" Oli poked my shoulder. I could see the stupid smirk on his face, I clenched my jaw and continued staring ahead. "Hey Shay"
I rolled my eyes and turned to face him. "What?" I snapped
"What are we going to chose?" he asked pointing to the list of Greek Gods.
I blinked, startled by his non-insulting words. "Um, I don't know." I shrugged and scratched the back of my head. "You pick"
He ponderd for a moment then a smirk grew on his face. "I know"
"OK..."
"Emo-tica." He snorted at his lame exuse for an insult.
I rolled my eyes and snatched the paper from his hands. "Fuck off" I scowled and turned my attention to the list.
After ten long minuets of insults and arguments, we finaly decided on Aphrodite: the Godess of Love. I don't recall how or why we picked her, but it was awkward.
"And you two have chosen?" Mr. Ballto asked. His snow white hair was a mess over his scalp.
"Aphrodite" I responded a little shy of our choice.
Mr. Ballto stared for a moment then mumbled under his breath as he wrote our choice down. "I expect this project in two weeks. I wan't a slide show presentation, and a three page essay. Guide lines are clearly displayed on the hand out." He smiled as if the glares from students were peace offerings then sat down at his desk and settled into a book.
"I don't see how this is going to work." Oli said shaking his head in disgust.
"Why?" I asked. As if it wasn't obvious enough.
"One, I can't stand you and you can't stand me. Two, I have a game the day of, so I'll be swamped with practice."
"Do both?" I suggested. I didn't give a flying fuck about his delema. I had my own things to worry about.
"I can't" he scowled. "And if I flunk anything else I'll be kicked off the team."
"Well that sucks." I shrugged studying the chips in my nail polish.
He sighed rubbing his forehead. I felt him lean closer. "Look." he whisperd. "As much as we both don't want to hear it, we're gonna have to work out of school. Preferably on weekends."
Suddenly panic shot through me. If he seen the shit hole I live in he was bound to make mine and Jade's life a hell of a lot worse, too many bad things could happen. "I don't know" I answerd. "Could we work at your place?"
I could see fear rise in his eyes. The risk of being seen with me outside of school, let alone in his house, was bound to ruin poor Mr. Populars reputation.
"I---don't think that's a good idea"
"I guess." I sighed. I'd have to bite the bullet.

On my way home I came up with a plan, I'd tell Jade the whole partner thing and then tell him about Oli's stupid delema, after that I'd get Jade to leave and go to Ryan's for the time being. Regardless Jade was going to shit.
"Loser!" Courtney shouted as she and her posse of Barbies drove by.
I just shook my head and kept walking the block to the beat up place I call home.
When I walked in it was no surprise to see Jade and Ryan making out on the pathetic exuse for a coach.
"Sis" Jade said surprised by my enterence.
I shrugged. "Don't let me bother you. I'm going to my room, but I have to tell you something later." Quickly I walked down the two steps of a hall way and slammed my door. The light fixture shook and flickerd almost as if it were scared by me to. I sighed and stared at the cracks and hole punches in the walls. We shouldn't be living like this.
Our rooms were no bigger than a trailor sized room, our kitchen would sometimes be crawling with disgusting insects. It was no bigger than five feet. The cuppoard doors were non-existant, there was always a draft in the winter. A thick blanket covered the bathroom door. There was barley hot water to shower with. The fridge was almost dead. Face it, people stopped caring about this place long ago just like our family did to Jade and I. I felt a hot tear slide down my face, I wiped it away in anger. I shouldn't be crying over them, they weren't worth mine or Jade's tears, but something deep inside me couldn't stop them from spilling. Remembering when my Dad would always fly kites with me in the summer, remembering the warmth of my Mother's hugs and the feeling of being full, remembering the time Jade and I got grounded for months for sneaking out, remembering all the good vacations. It was the little things that seem so big when they're snatched from right underneath your feet. When you're forced out of your own home because of your sexual preference. It's wrong, infanct, it's illegal, we're only seventeen. But I refused to involve the cops. I wouldn't be able to handle the stress of legally fighting my own family. So, that's me; tough as nails on the outside but a river just at the tip of over flowing on the inside.
"Shay?" Jade asked peeking his head through the door.
"Hmm?" I mumbled still in my train of memories.
"Are you OK? You're crying" he frowned and sat at the foot of my bed.
"Oh, oops." I mumbled wiping away my tears of mistake.
"I've never seen you cry before... it worries me"
"Don't worry about me." I managed to plaster a smile to my face.
"Can you stop saying that!" he exclaimed. "You're not alright, Hell, I'm not alright! You look out for me all the time and I can never do anything in return because you won't talk to me. Shit is going to keep building, Shamaya, and one day---I'm scared I'm going to see you over that bridge." He sobbed remembering my last suicide attempt.

It was a breezy summer night. I was at Cristina's house and her parents had left for three days. She didn't want to be left alone so I wen't to accompany her for the time being. But what I didn't know was about her unexpected party. Tons of kids came for the event and booze was an unlimited supply, the house smelt of weed and a few other hard drugs.
"Shit" I slurred over my third strongly mixed drink. "Is that Kate?" I asked who I thought was Cristina.
"Yeah it is" the girl answerd.
I grunted and pushed myself off the wall toward her. "Hey" I smiled and took a gulp of my drink. It was hard to hear over the music.
"Hi" she smiled her beautiful million dollar smile. I loved the way her hair shagged over her gorgeous eyes.
"I haven't seen you in a while." I frowned. Last I heard she didn't take the break up well, neither did I, but I thought it was for her own good.
"Yeah I know" she shrugged.
"You're probably glad huh?" I mumbled taking my eyes off her by force.
"No." She sighed. I felt her hand gently wrap around my arm. "Let's go outside."
"OK" I smiled and followed her to the back porch.
The music was muffled and there were fewer people. We took a seat on the swing set and stared across at each other.
"I'm sorry, I just thought it'd be better for you" I frowned.
"Not at all." she shook her head. "But I'm glad to see you."
"I'm glad to see you to" I smiled brushing my hand against her face.
She smiled shyly and closed her eyes in a gentle motion leaning closer to my face. I couldn't resist, I had to kiss her. She was too beautiful. Our lips touched and we started kissing harder, we were almost to the point of making out when comments were thrown.
"Fag", "Pussy", "Douche Bag". Those words shouldn't have scared me but they did. Memories of my Dad screaming those same words rang in my ears, all I could picture was him swinging a hit at Jade and my Mom coming after me.
Tears filled my eyes and threatend to spill down my cheeks as I ran. I ran from life, from lies, from school, from my friends and from my very own brother. I couldn't take anymore of this shit from anyone. I sobbed letting the warm air fill my lungs with even more hate. My head was pounding and the tears kept coming.
I stared in awe at the water flowing over the bridge, it was so peaceful and soothing and I wanted to be apart of life. Clumsily, I climbed ontop of the railing. I stood there for a few moments longer staring at the world I could call my own.
"Shamaya!" a voice screamed.
Quickly I snapped my head back to see my brother running full force towards me. I've never seen him run that fast before. I whimperd and faced the life ahead of me once again, I leaned over the railing like I was falling from the Titanic. The breez rushed over my body sending waves of peace through me.
"No!" my brother screamed.
I felt a pull and looked up at Jade holding onto me for dear life. "Shay, please" he whimperd trying to pull me up.
I blinked looking down at the swirls of black water; the peaceful life and then back up at Jade; this life. I couldn't just leave my brother to face this shit hole alone. We were in this together. Shaken by reality I reached my other hand up, my brother quickly grabbed it and pulled me over the railing into a tight hug. The summer wind blew fiercley, as if it was sending some kind of signal. I hugged my brother tighter and decided I'd have to be strong for him.

"I won't be going over that bridge" I assured Jade.
He wiped the tears from his face and nodded. "Good, 'cause I need my Sis"
"I know you do." I smiled and ruffled his hair.
"So what'd you have to tell me?" he asked.
My eyes shot towards the ground and my fingers quickly laced together. "Well---" I mumbled "I got assigned this dumb project with Oli---"
"And?" Jade urged.
"Well, he has to come over here to work on it..." I gulped. Jade stared at me hate and hurt filling every detail in his brown eyes. "But you can go to Ryan's..."
"No" he said coldly. "I refuse to run away from him in my own house." I nodded respecting his answer. "He's going to watch us make out" he smirked evily and stood up.
"That's right Jade, teach 'im a lesson." I winked
"Thanks Sis I will" he laughed and walked out to Ryan.

Today was Friday and Oli was coming over. We had History last class so it made it harder for him not to be seen walking with me. We decided we'd meet up behind the school once everyone left and take the trail to my place. I will admit, I was nervous. I knew he'd come up with some lame ass remark about our living situation or torture my brother. I took a deep breath of crisp air and opened my eyes to see Oli infront of me.
"Oh, sorry" I mumbled. I pushed myself off the brick wall.
"Not a problem" he answerd smoothly.
We walked the snowy trail in awkward silence. I busied myself with the scenery while Oli passed the time by popping bubbles. It was pissing me off. As he blew one I stopped infront of him and popped it with my palm, frozen pink pieces drifted into the winter air.
"Stop that" I hissed
He stared at me for a moment then a dumb smirk spread across his awkwardly beautiful face. "Does it piss you off?"
"Yes" I answerd continuing to walk.
"Good" he chuckled. Arg. I wanted to slap him. I sighed heavily as nervousness grew in my body. We were close. I gulped and stopped suddenly, I turned around quickly and slammed into Oli. "Whoa there" he smiled and gently gripped my sides.
I looked him directly in the eyes and, for the first time ever, I blushed. I hoped he couldn't see that. I quickly looked down and stepped back from him. "Look," I started "I'm not exactly filthy rich, me and my brother live alone so don't make fun of our place---You torture us enough."
"I won't, promise." He gave me an assuring smile and we continued walking.

I felt really embarrased leading him through the beat up hall way. There was a fight last night so there was broken glass, smears of blood, and holes plasterd into the walls.
"Well, here it is. Home" I mumbled as I opened the door. I cleaned up a little to make it look half decent atleast. I watched Oli's eyes dart around the small room in shock. Secretly I hoped this made him feel like shit for bullying us.
"Wow..." he breathed "you weren't kidding"
That kind of insulted me. I glared at him. "Hey it's not our fault our fucking parents beat the shit out of us and kicked us the fuck out because of who we are!" I yelled shoving my index finger into his chest.
He blinked and was taken back by my sudden out burst. Great, the kid wasn't even here ten minuets before I flew into him. "I'm sorry Shamaya--- I didn't mean it like that" he said quietly.
"Are you sure?" I asked leaning against the counter.
"Yes I'm sure" he nodded
"How did you mean it than?" I asked. My curiosity got the best of me.
"I meant it like---well, I'm not exactly sure" he sighed
"It's OK, I'll believe you for once" I smirked and threw him a Coke, he caught it like nothing. I was astounded. "Awesome catch"
"Well I'm not on the basket ball team for nothin'" he boasted taking a sip of Coke.
"Hey, don't get cocky" I chuckled
"Damn shame" he mumbled pulling up his pants zipper. I snorted and Coke almost came out of my nose. Oops. "Ha-ha!" he pointed then handed me a tissue.
"Thanks ass" I smirked and playfully hit him in the stomach. He smirked back. You know, for a Jock, he wasn't that bad, it turns out he's more like me than I thought. So awkward for me to say but it's true. When you get him away from fame he's a good guy, but because of our social status' we still couldn't be seen together. I kind of liked it though, a big secret that noone but Jade, me and Oli knew about. Oli keeping a secret, I laughed at the thought.
"What's so funny?" he asked glancing up from his laptop.
"Nothing" I shook my head feeling stupid.
"Hey" Jade smiled and waved walking into the apartment with Ryan.
"Hey" I nodded and then focused my attention back on the laptop screen. Aphrodite was actually very intersting. She helped so many God's and Godesses fall inlove and got into a lot of mischeif. I glanced up at Oli who was eying my brother and Ryan kissing, a grin appeard on my face. "Don't look if it bothers you"
"Hmm?" he grunted quickly pulling his eyes back on the screen.
"My brother and his boyfriend" I replied
"Oh. Nah, it doesn't bug me" he shrugged.
I pulled away from him and shot him a weird look. "But..."
"I don't know," he sighed and shut his laptop. "I guess I'm just jealous"
"Jealous?" Jade, Ryan and I blurted at the same time.
Oli shifted uncomfortably on the couch causing the springs to creek. He cleared his throat. "Well yeah. I'm jealous because---" he stopped and looked at the floor shyly. "Nevermind" he shook his head and stood up.
"Don't leave" I said quickly standing up next to him.
He stopped putting on his sweater and looked at me weirdly. I blushed and looked away.
"I have to. I'll be back tomorrow." he bowed his head then slowly walked out of the apartment and back into reality.

"Don't leave?" Jade asked following me to my room. He was disgusted. "How can you say that after everything he's put us through?" Jade screamed and threw a punch at the door.
"I don't know" I said quitely. Jade always did have Dad's temper.
"Fuck, Shay!" he yelled, his face was blood red with hate, hate for me. "Do you like him or something?"
My face curled up in disgust. "Of course not"
"Mhm" he mumbled "Then why did he have to stay?"
"I don't know! Fuck sakes Jade just leave me alone. I didn't mean to say it" I screamed back, tears almost spilled down my face but I wiped them away in anger.
"OK" he whisperd and quietly left my room.
I rolled my eyes and hugged my Pikachu teddy bear as I flopped down on my bed. I heard the front door shut and I knew Jade left for Ryan's, I was alone again. I sighed and lifted the over-sized Pikachu into the air. "Atleast you'll never be mad at me." It stared at me with it's big black eyes and over happy smile. "Thanks" I mumbled pulling it closer to my chest.