Take A Picture

Warm Feelings

He took two quick steps and was standing right in front of me. “Hey.” He said.

I let go of the door absentmindedly and it closed in front of a woman walking out. “Hey.” I replied. “How did you get here?”

“I drove.” He said.

“Oh, didn’t you have a game?” I asked.

“Yeah, we lost. So, I was on my way home and I stopped here to buy a Gatorade. And then I saw the carwash goin’ on over there, and it made me think of you. And here you are.”

“Well,” I said dragging out the word so I could think of what to say next. “Um, let’s go buy that Gatorade!” Oh, why did I say that?

But Jordan laughed and said “Alright, let’s go.” He opened the door for me and I quickly said thanks. I walked toward the refrigerated section where the drinks were. Jordan was walking beside me, and I could feel that he was watching me. I caught Skyler’s eye too and she mouthed the words “Who is that?” and I shook my head and smiled. She winked at me and then started laughing.

Jordan and I were standing in front of the Gatorade section and Jordan was deciding on what he wanted. A minute went passed and he still didn’t make a decision. I asked him, “Do you know which one you want?”

He quickly scanned all of the Gatorades again and then said, “Nah.”

“Well, I like the purple one.” I suggested.

“Okay. I’ll get the purple one then.”

“Have you ever tried the purple one before?” I asked, curious.

“No, but whatever you like, I like.”

I smiled. “Ha, okay Jordan.” We stood there in the middle of the aisle, looking around the store. Jordan was looking around to see if he wanted something else, but I was looking around so I wouldn’t get caught staring at him. The air conditioning felt like it was on full blast and I was extremely cold. I was wearing my red and black two piece bathing suit with jean shorts over my bottom piece. I rubbed my hands over my arms to make myself warm. For the first time today, I wanted to be back outside in the heat.

Jordan noticed what I was doing and said, “Yeah, it is cold in here. I’ll hurry up and my buy my drink.” I started walking towards the counter when Jordan said, “But in the meantime…” he paused and then he wrapped his muscular arms around me. “I’ll keep you warm.” I looked up into his almond eyes, and he was smiling down at me. I can’t believe this is happening to me.

We walked together towards the counter while I was still in his embrace, and we waited in line. He put his chin on top of my head and sighed. I hope his sigh meant that he was enjoying this as much as I am. Plus, he didn’t smell bad either. If I didn’t remember he played in a basketball game earlier today, without going home, I would’ve never known. He must have came prepared.

When it was Jordan’s turn to pay, he kept one arm around my waist and reached his hand into the pocket of his basketball shorts. He handed me his money and put his other arm back around my waist again. I paid for his Gatorade and the cashier handed me the change. Jordan held his hand out in front of me and I dropped the change into it. While he put the change his pocket, I grabbed his Gatorade off the counter. With his arms still around my waist, we walked out of 7 Eleven together.

Jordan led me to a park bench that was outside the store. When he sat down, he brought me down with him. I ended up sitting on his lap, but I didn’t care even though the heat attacked us and I wasn’t close to being cold anymore.
We sat there for awhile, in silence, just watching the traffic. Jordan was making circles on my thighs with his index finger and I was doing the same to his arm that was laying on the arm rest. Jordan broke the silence and said, “Hey, you look good today.”

Man, this is probably the most I ever smiled in 20 minutes. I smiled, again, and said, “Thanks Jordan. So, how was your game?” I said changing the subject. I didn’t know if he would have kept talking about my body. That would’ve made me uncomfortable.

“You know, I don’t even know. I had one of those games where I just went through the motions and didn’t really put much effort. I just did what I had to do, which wasn’t enough. And my whole team felt the same way, so we sucked. Besides, I stayed up late last night anyways.”

“Why did you stay up late?”

“I was listening to Avery complain about how you logged off of AIM last night.” I interrupted Jordan with my giggling. I completely forgot about Avery. When I was done laughing, Jordan continued talking. “Anyways, I was thinking about you too.”

How could Jordan be so open with me? We only knew each other for two days and he’s already showing me that he likes me a lot. But why am I complaining when I feel the same way or maybe even more… My phone started ringing in my pocket. “Hold that thought Jordan.” I looked at my screen and it was my Coach calling.

“Karen.”
“Yes ma’am?”
“Did you forget what I told you 20 minutes ago?”
I took a second to think and then remembered. “Oh yeah, sorry I’ll be back there in…2 minutes.”
“Yeah, I see you talking to your boyfriend over there. Better make it one minute.”
“He’s not my boyfriend!” I proclaimed.
“Yeah, right. Hurry up.” My coach hung up the phone.

I got off of Jordan’s lap and he lifted his arms up so I could help him get up. I grabbed his big hands and got him out of the seat.

“So you got to go, huh?” Jordan asked, with a hint of sadness in his voice.

“Yeah, can you walk me to the corner?” I didn’t want our time together to end.

“When can I see you again?”

I wish I had more time to think, and if he wasn’t so quick with these questions or telling me his thoughts, there wouldn’t be a problem. We already made it to the corner with our long legs, and the sun was beaming down on us. I looked across the street and saw my coach watching me. I turned away, sighed, and said, “I don’t know Jordan. What do you think?”

“Maybe I can call you tonight.” He said while handing me his cell phone. I added my number into his phone, and then handed it back to him. “Okay, give me a hug before I go.”

I giggled. “But I’m all sweaty.” I assumed that he would hug me anyways. I was just trying to make this moment last by playing with him.

He paused for a moment. Oh no, I hope he’s not thinking I don’t want him. But, the sun is making me sweaty. “Ok, how about a kiss?” He said with a grin.

A what? I didn’t think he would take it that far. I realized my mouth was open and I didn’t close it. I thought words would have came out by now, but nothing happen. Unbelievable.

Jordan continued, “Only our lips would touch. And I’m pretty sure your lips ‘aint sweaty.” He laughed and I laughed too.

“Well, look Jordan. I like you, but we’ve only known each other for two days. And I want my kisses to be with someone special.” Jordan looked lost by what I said. So, I added, “You know, I want to have the feeling of me knowing the kiss is right, the person I’m with is the right one, and everything is just, right.”

Jordan took one step and his body was next to mine. “I understand. But, I have feelings for you, even though it’s been two days and I’m thinking you’re having the same feelings about me. So, maybe I’m the right guy you’re looking for.” I looked up into his eyes. I wanted to believe every word he was saying, but there was a voice in my head telling me to wait. I closed my eyes and waited for something to happen. Jordan wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me in closer to him. My eyes were still closed, and I felt him move towards me.

Suddenly, someone close by called my name. My eyes snapped open and I turned my head towards the direction of where my name was called. It was Skyler. She waited to cross the street so she could come get me. I felt Jordan’s steady breathing on my cheek. His lips would have been locked with mine if I didn’t turn my head. Damn it Skyler.

Jordan saw Skyler crossing the street now, and then he quickly kissed me on the cheek. He whispered in my ear, “I’ll call you.” Then, he loosened his strong arms from around my body and started walking the opposite way down the sidewalk. I watched him walk away, in awe. This has to be the best day ever.

Skyler finally made it to where I was standing and I was still watching Jordan. He was getting into his car and now he drove away seconds afterwards. Skyler was watching him too and then she cleared her throat. I turned to look at her and she said, “One, who is that sexy boy? And two, Coach Patty is pissed.”